Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Long time lurker finally joins the forum like a respectable person  (Read 1816 times)

AsraiDouglas

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
I've been lurking around The Cauldron reading posts for probably a few years now, and it's been an awesome source of information for me.  I figured it's long past due I join and contribute to the conversation.

About me:
I'm a young-ish IT professional living in the Pacific Northwest, but I was raised in the Midwest and became and adult in the South.  My educational background is in biochemistry, but IT was always my real passion.

I love, and often miss, the academic life.  I spent a few weeks in Wales originally studying rural political trends (nerd) when I picked up a copy of the Mabinogion in an old bookstore and worked with my Welsh professor on researching the origin of the stories and learning the language.  I wound up scrapping my politics project completely in favor of spending time studying the Mabinogion and Welsh bardic poetry.  I very nearly applied to the University of Aberystwyth to do a Ph.D. in Arthurian Legend (mega nerd).  I still think I might do it.

I'm probably overly passionate about video games (PC for lyfe), and I'll learn any craft I can get my hands on: soapmaking, spinning yarn, and chain mail to name a few.  I also ride horses (though I'll admit it's been a few years) and can usually be found on my motorcycle if it's sunny out.  My blood is 50% tea.

I love my cat like he's my own flesh and blood.  He's the fourth in a line of feral cats I've rescued, all of whom have happened to be black, enormous, and very snuggly.

My spiritual path:
I've been practicing paganism in some flavor for over a decade, minus a brief period in which I converted back to Catholicism for a boy.  It's only been in the last year that I've left the Catholic church and formally returned to paganism, which makes me feel very...rusty.

In college, I identified as Wiccan.  As I've continued my practice, I've started identifying myself as "Eclectic" or "Hedge Witch", as it's to be more in line with my beliefs and how I practice.

Much of my reinvigorated spirituality has happened as a result of encountering Rhiannon during my messy divorce.

Despite always wanting to have had a strong connection to fire ('cuz fire is cool), I've accepted that I really really love water in all its forms.  However, I'm more comfortable in rivers and in the snow than I am in the sea, so finding a path that isn't sea-oriented but still deals heavily in water work has been a bit of a struggle.

As a former Catholic, I long for structure in my spiritual practice.  Not having someone who can tell me "Yes, this is your prayer, this is when to say it, and how to do everything" has always been a struggle for me and something I try to not let weigh my down as I figure out what I'm doing in my day to day practice and devotions.

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Long time lurker finally joins the forum like a respectable person
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:15:49 am »
Quote from: AsraiDouglas;198836
I've been lurking around The Cauldron reading posts for probably a few years now, and it's been an awesome source of information for me.  I figured it's long past due I join and contribute to the conversation.

About me:
I'm a young-ish IT professional living in the Pacific Northwest, but I was raised in the Midwest and became and adult in the South.  My educational background is in biochemistry, but IT was always my real passion.

I love, and often miss, the academic life.  I spent a few weeks in Wales originally studying rural political trends (nerd) when I picked up a copy of the Mabinogion in an old bookstore and worked with my Welsh professor on researching the origin of the stories and learning the language.  I wound up scrapping my politics project completely in favor of spending time studying the Mabinogion and Welsh bardic poetry.  I very nearly applied to the University of Aberystwyth to do a Ph.D. in Arthurian Legend (mega nerd).  I still think I might do it.

I'm probably overly passionate about video games (PC for lyfe), and I'll learn any craft I can get my hands on: soapmaking, spinning yarn, and chain mail to name a few.  I also ride horses (though I'll admit it's been a few years) and can usually be found on my motorcycle if it's sunny out.  My blood is 50% tea.

I love my cat like he's my own flesh and blood.  He's the fourth in a line of feral cats I've rescued, all of whom have happened to be black, enormous, and very snuggly.

My spiritual path:
I've been practicing paganism in some flavor for over a decade, minus a brief period in which I converted back to Catholicism for a boy.  It's only been in the last year that I've left the Catholic church and formally returned to paganism, which makes me feel very...rusty.

In college, I identified as Wiccan.  As I've continued my practice, I've started identifying myself as "Eclectic" or "Hedge Witch", as it's to be more in line with my beliefs and how I practice.

Much of my reinvigorated spirituality has happened as a result of encountering Rhiannon during my messy divorce.

Despite always wanting to have had a strong connection to fire ('cuz fire is cool), I've accepted that I really really love water in all its forms.  However, I'm more comfortable in rivers and in the snow than I am in the sea, so finding a path that isn't sea-oriented but still deals heavily in water work has been a bit of a struggle.

As a former Catholic, I long for structure in my spiritual practice.  Not having someone who can tell me "Yes, this is your prayer, this is when to say it, and how to do everything" has always been a struggle for me and something I try to not let weigh my down as I figure out what I'm doing in my day to day practice and devotions.

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

I'm from the pacific northwest too! You seem to really have an interesting background! I was Catholic myself and not having structure was weird for me for a while but I started doing small things related to magic (lighting incense/candles, cleansing my room, etc.) it wasn't so weird afterwards.

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 03:37:11 pm »

About me:

My spiritual path:

Also a northwesterner! :) Welcome to the cauldron! I was also a long time lurker; I hovered around for a year or two before finally joining the forum.

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:04:49 pm »

About me:

My spiritual path:

Hello and welcome
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:47:11 am »

About me:

My spiritual path:

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! As an undergrad, I was an English Major with a penchant for Arthurian Legend. I will admit to using Le Morte d'Arthur for bibliomancy on more than one occasion. :) Welcome to the forum and good luck on your return journey.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Tags: