collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Howdy! What you'd call a "Crone."  (Read 769 times)

Dezdura

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Howdy! What you'd call a "Crone."
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:17:07 pm »
Any more "elders" around?

Hi, I am probably the "Odd Duck" here. I was introduced to Wicca in about 1974-- when my sister and I found a copy of Gardner's book in a used bookstore. We took it to heart, dedicated ourselves to the Goddess for a year and a day, and started to produce "spells" immediately. Not the best way to do it, I am sure. I was born in Spain, and lived in New Mexico most of my life and am now in the Midwest (tornado alley). I have studied pagan mythology (Mostly Roman Britain, Celtic, Scandinavian, Egyptian) since I was a girl, also things like herbs, and the old ways -- in a half hearted way as has been my practice ("half-hearted," that is). I have been a solo practitioner of no particular path, really, a combination of Faiery, Druid, and (old style) Gardnarian.

Wiccans were few and far between back then, of course. It took several decades to finally find any that would admit it. I started for real back in 1996. I finally took a "beginners" class in 2005. Good old Buckland.

I am here mainly because I'd like to learn from more technical conversations.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Howdy! What you'd call a "Crone."
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »
Quote from: Dezdura;46189
Hi, I am probably the "Odd Duck" here. I was introduced to Wicca in about 1974-- when my sister and I found a copy of Gardner's book in a used bookstore.

Welcome to TC! The are a lot of older Pagans here. For example, the first book I found on witchcraft was the mass market paperback edition of Paul Huson's Mastering Witchcraft in 1970 or 1971.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »

Hi, I am probably the "Odd Duck" here. I was introduced to Wicca in about 1974-- when my sister and I found a copy of Gardner's book in a used bookstore. We took it to heart, dedicated ourselves to the Goddess for a year and a day, and started to produce "spells" immediately. Not the best way to do it, I am sure. I was born in Spain, and lived in New Mexico most of my life and am now in the Midwest (tornado alley). I have studied pagan mythology (Mostly Roman Britain, Celtic, Scandinavian, Egyptian) since I was a girl, also things like herbs, and the old ways -- in a half hearted way as has been my practice ("half-hearted," that is). I have been a solo practitioner of no particular path, really, a combination of Faiery, Druid, and (old style) Gardnarian.

Wiccans were few and far between back then, of course. It took several decades to finally find any that would admit it. I started for real back in 1996. I finally took a "beginners" class in 2005. Good old Buckland.

Welcome!
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:50:48 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;46205
Welcome to TC! The are a lot of older Pagans here. For example, the first book I found on witchcraft was the mass market paperback edition of Paul Huson's Mastering Witchcraft in 1970 or 1971.

I'm not quite as old as the geezer's here - but I did start with copies of books by Farrar and Frost back in the early 80's and finally found a group to join in '89

Welcome to the 'old-Pagan's home'

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:22:55 pm »

Welcome! I'm in my early 20s and started studying paganism around 2003, so I don't think I qualify as an elder, but there are definitely some around here :p

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:53:11 pm »

Our oldest member is in his mid-eighties.  He doesn't post very much anymore, but he was here when I joined seven years ago.

I just turned fifty - older rather than younger is the norm here, although most of the younger people we have (right down to the teenagers) are more mature than you would find on many boards.

Welcome to TC.
Marilyn
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Dezdura

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:15:37 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;46230
Our oldest member is in his mid-eighties.  He doesn't post very much anymore, but he was here when I joined seven years ago.

I just turned fifty - older rather than younger is the norm here, although most of the younger people we have (right down to the teenagers) are more mature than you would find on many boards.

Welcome to TC.
Marilyn

Thanks for that, All,

I used to post on a few Pagan message boards prior to 5 years ago, but left eventually due to what I considered immature and disrespectful behavior. I'm sure you know how that goes.

Blessed be, Dez

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:38:18 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

Tags: