Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: hello, can you help me with a religion who fit me?  (Read 4300 times)

unhomme

• View Profile
  • Religion: not sure yet
  • Preferred Pronouns: he
hello, can you help me with a religion who fit me?
« on: April 14, 2019, 02:41:08 pm »
Hello,

To  present myself i'am french man raised in a non pratiquant family.
I have never been that much interest by religion.

With years and maturity :) I wonder if there isn't a religion who will fit me.
I think that paganism will be the closest from what i'am looking for. But as there are many different paganism i'am seeking your help.

Well, my values and the point i want to find in the religion:
* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* work and creating is a positiv stuff
* I don't beleive in universalim and the "no borders" "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.
* I don't beleive in anthropomorphic deity.

So am i in the right place?

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: hello, can you help me with a religion who fit me?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 06:21:58 pm »
Hello,

To  present myself i'am french man raised in a non pratiquant family.
I have never been that much interest by religion.

With years and maturity :) I wonder if there isn't a religion who will fit me.
I think that paganism will be the closest from what i'am looking for. But as there are many different paganism i'am seeking your help.

Well, my values and the point i want to find in the religion:
* I beleive in freedom, people should have the right do to what they want as long as they d'ont hurt someone else. It includes homosexuality and drinking alcool.
* respect of nature
* work and creating is a positiv stuff
* I don't beleive in universalim and the "no borders" "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.
* I don't beleive in anthropomorphic deity.

So am i in the right place?

Hi there.

I'm slightly biased, but reading your post I couldn't help thinking of Druidry.

~ Respect for nature - absolutely fits with Druidry.
~ Creativity as positive - again, fits with Druidry.  Have an internet search for the word Awen and I think you'll see what I mean.
~ Work as positive - I believe this fits with Druidry too, especially work which is focused around giving back to the community.
~ Freedom etc - so far as I know, there are no significant barriers placed on people's freedoms within Druidry
~ Anthropomorphic deity - some Druids do have anthropomorphic pantheons & deities, but others (including myself) don't.

The only thing on your list which I didn't feel was an obvious fit with Druidry was when you said:

I don't beleive in universalim and the "no borders" "we are all the same" motto. the religion must not contradict patriotism or nationalism or impose immigration.

I'm not sure I totally understand your meaning in that last sentence, but so far as I know there's nothing in Druidry which either promotes these things or discourages them.

I should point out that I'm still learning and seeking myself, but those are my thoughts based on your list.

[Edit: added a final line.]
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:12:38 am »

I don't quite understand the meaning of this sentence, and I don't want to jump to negative conclusions, but it sounds like you are looking for a "folkish" or ethno-nationalistic religion.

You're not likely to find much help with that here, if that is indeed the case. Most people here don't agree with or promote racism, ethnic discrimination, or white supremacist beliefs.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

unhomme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 02:15:09 pm »
I don't quite understand the meaning of this sentence, and I don't want to jump to negative conclusions, but it sounds like you are looking for a "folkish" or ethno-nationalistic religion.

I just don't beleive all the culture are the same and that we should welcome everybody who want to come in our country without any objection.
I'am not a citizen of the world, that's all.

You're not likely to find much help with that here, if that is indeed the case. Most people here don't agree with or promote racism, ethnic discrimination, or white supremacist beliefs.

PerditaPickle already provide me some help, I hope i would have the possibility to talk with him.

Well of course refusing immigrant who have no will integrate into the country is promoting racism and white supremacism. As well as being against globalization  ::)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 03:18:38 pm »
PerditaPickle already provide me some help, I hope i would have the possibility to talk with him.

PerditaPickle is a she, and I've already mentioned that I'm still learning myself so I'm afraid I've no more help to give.  There's a wealth of information out there about Druidry, though, for you to begin your own research and see if Druidry is actually a good fit for you.

I have so say that once again I don't understand what you mean in the last sentence of your most recent post.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:42:35 pm »

Are you referring to immigrants who have to give up their culture/religion in favor of the country they have immigrated to?

unhomme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 04:28:10 pm »
PerditaPickle is a she, and I've already mentioned that I'm still learning myself so I'm afraid I've no more help to give.  There's a wealth of information out there about Druidry, though, for you to begin your own research and see if Druidry is actually a good fit for you.

Sorry.

Do you have a link to a summary of druidry doctrine?

My english is poor.
Just try to make an ironny message. I don't think being against globalization or immigration make you a neo nazi like the other gur try to picture me.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 05:00:09 pm »

Sorry.

Do you have a link to a summary of druidry doctrine?

My english is poor.
Just try to make an ironny message. I don't think being against globalization or immigration make you a neo nazi like the other gur try to picture me.

Doctrine is the wrong word, but I'd recommend that you start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druidry_(modern).  Beyond that you'll need to carry out your own research, as there's an awful lot.

I'm not aware of any of the posts in this thread trying to paint you as a neo-nazi; I think we've all been trying to better understand some of your comments within your posts, though.  Perhaps it's actually best, ultimately, if we leave it that you've got your own opinions about immigration, globalisation and universalism & then the rest of us have ours, which may differ?

[Edit: amending capitalisation]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:03:25 pm by PerditaPickle »
(From the Metta Sutta)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 05:46:21 pm »
Well of course refusing immigrant who have no will integrate into the country is promoting racism and white supremacism. As well as being against globalization  ::)

I never said it was. Don't put words in my mouth.

I said your last sentence was vague, and that it resembled racist rhetoric; I didn't say that you were a racist yourself. I said I needed some clarification on the meaning of your words, before I could give you any advice on a religious path.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:50:19 pm by EnderDragonFire »
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 05:49:09 pm »
My english is poor. Just try to make an ironny message. I don't think being against globalization or immigration make you a neo nazi like the other gur try to picture me.

I didn't try to picture you as a Neo-nazi.

Your English is (as you said) poor, and it makes it hard to understand what you're saying and asking. Nationalism has a lot of different forms, and some of them are very nasty and hateful.

When you say you don't believe "we are all the same" that could be - but isn't necessarily - a statement of racism.

If you're not looking for an overtly racist religious tradition, I can try and give you some recommendations.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:51:15 pm by EnderDragonFire »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 06:02:09 pm »

A Reminder:
Please remember that unless proven otherwise by other posts from the person, we try to assume the a positive reading of a person's posts -- especially when their first language isn't English.

Unhomme is from France -- a country which limits media imports from the US/other places because they don't want their culture overly diluted by US and other foreign influences -- a policy that seems silly and somewhat futile to me, but hardly demonstrates racism or a negative form of nationalism -- even to liberal me. Unless Unhomme proves otherwise, I'm taking his comment as an expression of this French position on keeping French culture French and not some ultra-nationalist belief -- which is in keeping with the position stated in the first sentence of this reminder.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 08:32:36 am »
Doctrine is the wrong word, but I'd recommend that you start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druidry_(modern).

I realised something went wrong with the link I tried to paste, so here it is again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druidry_(modern)

Hope it works okay this time.
(From the Metta Sutta)

unhomme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 04:28:36 pm »
I realised something went wrong with the link I tried to paste, so here it is again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druidry_(modern)

Hope it works okay this time.

Thanks.
Seems to be very vague. Many stuff can enter in it.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 07:58:04 pm »

I own you an apology for assuming bad faith when you first posted. I am sorry.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 08:31:54 pm »
Seems to be very vague. Many stuff can enter in it.

Many modern Pagan religions are more about shared practices (how you do things) than beliefs. So in a brief description, it can be hard to see the nuances or differences that are more obvious if you participate in a ritual (or talk at length or read a whole book, etc.)

It is common to find people in the same Pagan religious group who have different beliefs about things like the nature of deity, magic, how magic works, etc.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: