Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Hello and a question about Finnish Paganism  (Read 1746 times)

Kuu

• View Profile
Hello and a question about Finnish Paganism
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:46:06 pm »
Hello, I'm Kuu. I've been a practicing witch for years, and I really love herbal magick and kitchen witchery. I've recently discovered Finnish Paganism or Suomenusko, and the more I learn about it, the more I love it. I've begun learning written Finnish because my research of the religion helped me realize how much I love the culture and language.

My issue is that I have no Finnish blood in me. I can't find any information in English about whether or not Finnish Paganism is open to non-Finnish people. I really wish to respect people's cultures and beliefs, so I hope I'm able to find answers soon.

Thank you for reading.

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and a question about Finnish Paganism
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 07:59:59 pm »
Quote from: Kuu;130348
Hello, I'm Kuu.

Hello and welcome :)

Unfortunately, I can't answer your Finnish Paganism Q. Hopefully, a more knowledgeable member will be able to help with that.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:17:44 pm »
Hello, I'm Kuu. I've been a practicing witch for years, and I really love herbal magick and kitchen witchery.

Welcome to TC!
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tanbrid

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.paganleft.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:23:44 pm »

My issue is that I have no Finnish blood in me. I can't find any information in English about whether or not Finnish Paganism is open to non-Finnish people. I really wish to respect people's cultures and beliefs, so I hope I'm able to find answers soon.

Welcome, Kuu. I can't say I know much about Finnish traditions myself, but my general recommendation to folks interested in a culture not their own is to engage with it. See if there are any Finnish folk culture events you can participate in. Finns are relatively small immigrant group to the U.S. so likely there won't be much, but
give it a try, and in the mean time look for Finnish music, stories, history etc.

I find generally if you have a respectful attitude toward another culture as a guest, the people are often fairly welcoming. I've attended Hmong, Native American, Jewish Persian, Hindu events and settings (just off the top of my head!) Show up on time, do a lot of listening, perhaps make a financial contribution (even a small one) and/or patronize vendors.

You might want to try posting in the Asatru/Heathen SIG. They are focused on Germanic cultures, but since Finland is part of Scandinavia there may be some overlapping interest.

Kuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:37:43 pm »
Quote from: Tanbrid;130362
Welcome, Kuu. I can't say I know much about Finnish traditions myself, but my general recommendation to folks interested in a culture not their own is to engage with it. See if there are any Finnish folk culture events you can participate in. Finns are relatively small immigrant group to the U.S. so likely there won't be much, but
give it a try, and in the mean time look for Finnish music, stories, history etc.

Where I live, the Finnish community is pretty unheard of, but the people I have crossed paths with online have been friendly and very open about their culture, especially once I mention I'm interested in the language and folk music. I haven't met anyone who practiced Finnish Paganism, or was open about it, so I would feel it a bit strange asking a non-Pagan Finn my question.

And thank you for all of your welcomes so far! I'm really loving this community!

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 09:43:00 pm »
Hello, I'm Kuu. I've been a practicing witch for years, and I really love herbal magick and kitchen witchery. I've recently discovered Finnish Paganism or Suomenusko, and the more I learn about it, the more I love it. I've begun learning written Finnish because my research of the religion helped me realize how much I love the culture and language.

Thank you for reading.

Welcome. :)

Not Finnish myself per say, but have you considered looking around for a Finnish pagan/old faith forum? The internet is a vast resource and if you could find a forum that even has Finnish paganism as a sub-section, you could maybe bring up the question there too. Not saying you can't ask here, but it's an idea. :)

Kuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;130557
Welcome. :)

Not Finnish myself per say, but have you considered looking around for a Finnish pagan/old faith forum? The internet is a vast resource and if you could find a forum that even has Finnish paganism as a sub-section, you could maybe bring up the question there too. Not saying you can't ask here, but it's an idea. :)

It's difficult to find a lot of info unless you're moderately fluent in Finnish (I only know greetings so far honestly). I've spoken with a few practicing Finnish Pagans since joining the forum, and they seemed surprised that a non-Finn would take interest in their faith, but they seemed pretty excited and said their faith is welcoming to non-Finnish folks. I'm excited to begin my detailed, in-depth research now!

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 05:12:05 pm »
Quote from: Kuu;130768
It's difficult to find a lot of info unless you're moderately fluent in Finnish (I only know greetings so far honestly). I've spoken with a few practicing Finnish Pagans since joining the forum, and they seemed surprised that a non-Finn would take interest in their faith, but they seemed pretty excited and said their faith is welcoming to non-Finnish folks. I'm excited to begin my detailed, in-depth research now!

Oh, apologies. I assumed you were semi-fluent. :) Good luck in your research!

Sebseb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »
Quote from: Kuu;130768

Nice to meet you, Kuu and welcome. I am new as well, and I wish you the best of luck and a congratulations on the beginning of your research.
My Blog: Where I talk about my life. http://sebastianweitzeil.wordpress.com/

Tags: