* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1068 times)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
Hello
« on: December 02, 2018, 08:14:22 pm »
So I briefly had an account here several years ago but could not access the account information. I have started a new account. I am an Eclectic Universalist with a focus on Celtic Spirituality, amongst others.

I am still getting used to the interface here. I am not very tech savvy. How can I change my Avatar? I was looking at my Account Settings and could not immediately find a function to change the Avatar.

Anyway, I am new here, again. I have experience in my own spirituality, but I am always looking and learning. So in some ways I am a beginner, but in other ways more experienced, a mix.

I am looking forward to participating in the community here.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:56:33 pm »
So I briefly had an account here several years ago but could not access the account information. I have started a new account. I am an Eclectic Universalist with a focus on Celtic Spirituality, amongst others.

I am still getting used to the interface here. I am not very tech savvy. How can I change my Avatar? I was looking at my Account Settings and could not immediately find a function to change the Avatar.

Anyway, I am new here, again. I have experience in my own spirituality, but I am always looking and learning. So in some ways I am a beginner, but in other ways more experienced, a mix.

Yes, so I answered my own question and changed my avatar. I will try to post any technical or board questions to the relevant folders and threads in the future.

A little bit more about me- I am a Universalist and a Religious Pluralist. As such, I value the cultural diversity of religious beliefs and find inspiration in a variety of traditions.

So I am sort of an eclectic generalist. I have more specific beliefs, ideas, practices, and traditions, but I will not get into any great detail here in the Introductions section. I will try to address my views over time in other areas of this Forum.

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:10:09 am »

Welcome back! I hope you don't lose your account this time. :)
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:50:45 am »

The board has changed underlying software a couple of times - depending on when your previous account was, that might be some of the confusion!
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:20:32 am »
So I briefly had an account here several years ago but could not access the account information.

Hi, Donal, I remember you. Welcome back!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 05:46:54 pm »

Yes, thanks everyone for the greetings. I just wanted to point out that I am mainly dependent on my University for Internet Access. I am an Alum with Library Privileges, and I do not use a smartphone or pay for Home Internet.

My point is that I will have limited Internet Time in the coming weeks. The University goes into Intersession in a couple of weeks after Finals. I know that I just started on these Message Boards. I would have liked to have done so when I had more time to really get into things here. Instead I will try to ration my time until the University is back in session in January.

Part of what has brought me to this place was kind of a spiritual trauma or experience back in September. Since then I have had a sort of awakening and have met a new person in my life who is very into Hinduism. My response to this has been to get back into some spiritual stuff that I had left behind for a few years. I will try to write about this topic in more detail over time as I can.

Anyway, I am glad that there is a good Message Board Community to partake of here. I hope to develop some ideas over time and participate in the discussion here. I think that it is a project and a process that will take some time rather than solving something suddenly with a thunderbolt, but of course sometimes thunder happens as well.

Thanks again for reading this and responding. I will try to write more later here and on other threads.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:50:00 pm by Donal2018 »

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 06:14:04 pm »
My point is that I will have limited Internet Time in the coming weeks. The University goes into Intersession in a couple of weeks after Finals. I know that I just started on these Message Boards. I would have liked to have done so when I had more time to really get into things here. Instead I will try to ration my time until the University is back in session in January.

Please don't worry about this! We expect that people have other things going on in their lives, and that they will respond (or not) as they have time, energy, 'Net access, and brains to talk about a specific thing. It's pretty common here for threads to build slowly over time. This is part of why our quoting rules are like they are, so people can easily pick up where things were and what people are responding to.

The big things I'd suggest are:

- If you're posting a question you'd like help with, then it's usually easier if you're around for a day or three after, as people have questions/etc. since sometimes more info from you may help other people give you better info/answers.

- If you're picking up a thread and it's been a while, at least skim the conversation in the meantime. We don't mind people picking up threads (even months or years later). But if a thread went really off the rails or had some stressful stuff in it, it might well be better to not dig that up again (and either start a new thread, or not post directly responding to the more awful bits that have died down but picking up a different part of the discussion)

Don't feel you need to tell people you won't be responding that night - it's fine to pick up the next day, or days later, when you can. (If you're deeply enmeshed in a complicated thread where people are responding directly to you a lot, then it may be nice to drop a note that you'll be less available, but most of the time, that's not at all necessary.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 10:42:06 pm »
Please don't worry about this! We expect that people have other things going on in their lives, and that they will respond (or not) as they have time, energy, 'Net access, and brains to talk about a specific thing. It's pretty common here for threads to build slowly over time. This is part of why our quoting rules are like they are, so people can easily pick up where things were and what people are responding to.

The big things I'd suggest are:

- If you're posting a question you'd like help with, then it's usually easier if you're around for a day or three after, as people have questions/etc. since sometimes more info from you may help other people give you better info/answers.

- If you're picking up a thread and it's been a while, at least skim the conversation in the meantime. We don't mind people picking up threads (even months or years later). But if a thread went really off the rails or had some stressful stuff in it, it might well be better to not dig that up again (and either start a new thread, or not post directly responding to the more awful bits that have died down but picking up a different part of the discussion)

Don't feel you need to tell people you won't be responding that night - it's fine to pick up the next day, or days later, when you can. (If you're deeply enmeshed in a complicated thread where people are responding directly to you a lot, then it may be nice to drop a note that you'll be less available, but most of the time, that's not at all necessary.)

Thanks for the guidance and the information, Jenett!

Tags: