Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Hail and well met!  (Read 2251 times)

Tamelene

• View Profile
  • Religion: Traditional Witchcraft/Fairy Faith
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Hail and well met!
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:59:52 pm »
I'm very bad at this. I haven't used a forum since I was eleven or twelve. Here goes.

I'm Ian. I'm a twenty-something university student pursuing a doctorate in history. I've been interested in paganism and the occult more broadly since I was a wee lad. I only recently started to seriously explore that interest. I was raised Methodist, but I never really felt spiritually at home in the church, although I still think of it fondly. I flirted with various religions ranging from Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism to Judaism before I finally "returned" to paganism. I feel quite at home here.

I'm of predominantly Irish and Scottish ancestry with some Cornish and Welsh scattered about, and I grew up very immersed in that Celtic "world" so to speak-- went to local Gaelic game events with my parents, did Irish stepdance for all of about two weeks, etc. My username actually comes from a Scottish legend that I was deeply obsessed with as a child, The Ballad of Tam Lin. I've always loved the folklore of Britain and Ireland dearly and this informs much of my beliefs. Right now, I would describe myself as a traditional witch (warlock? wizard? Witch is unisex, isn't it?) with a reverence for the fairies. I have a particular attachment to the Queen of Elphame in all of Her many guises. I'm very new to actually practicing paganism and I thought it would be good for me to meet like-minded individuals, especially those who have been on this path much longer than I have.

Outside of magick, I am an avid player of roleplaying games, both tabletop and video. I write here and there as well. I hope this isn't too terribly long of an introduction. I look forward to meeting you all.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Hail and well met!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:48:09 am »
I'm Ian. I'm a twenty-something university student pursuing a doctorate in history.

Welcome! What area of history, if you're willing to share? (Curious librarian is curious.)

My username actually comes from a Scottish legend that I was deeply obsessed with as a child, The Ballad of Tam Lin.

Tam Lin is also one of my favourites (and where I get my own username, also my public Craft name - Jenett is one of the variant names for the heroine in some versions for people who don't know...) 

Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 01:46:17 pm »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tamelene

• View Profile
  • Religion: Traditional Witchcraft/Fairy Faith
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 06:28:11 pm »
Welcome! What area of history, if you're willing to share? (Curious librarian is curious.)

I like to research a little bit of everything as a hobbyist, but my main area of focus is 19th to mid 20th century Ireland. I did my first big research paper on the impact of romantic nationalism on the ideology of the participants of the 1917 Easter Rising in Dublin. It was a lot of fun to do; much of my primary source material was works by authors like Yeats, who had very mystic slants in their writing. Complimented my esoteric interests quite nicely.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:32:17 pm by Tamelene »

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 01:58:25 pm »
I'm very bad at this. I haven't used a forum since I was eleven or twelve. Here goes.

I'm Ian. I'm a twenty-something university student pursuing a doctorate in history. I've been interested in paganism and the occult more broadly since I was a wee lad. I only recently started to seriously explore that interest.

Hi Ian, nice to meet you

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:33:35 pm »

I'm Ian. I'm a twenty-something university student pursuing a doctorate in history. I've been interested in paganism and the occult more broadly since I was a wee lad. I only recently started to seriously explore that interest. I was raised Methodist, but I never really felt spiritually at home in the church, although I still think of it fondly. I flirted with various religions ranging from Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism to Judaism before I finally "returned" to paganism. I feel quite at home here.

I'm of predominantly Irish and Scottish ancestry with some Cornish and Welsh scattered about, and I grew up very immersed in that Celtic "world" so to speak-- went to local Gaelic game events with my parents, did Irish stepdance for all of about two weeks, etc. My username actually comes from a Scottish legend that I was deeply obsessed with as a child, The Ballad of Tam Lin. I've always loved the folklore of Britain and Ireland dearly and this informs much of my beliefs. Right now, I would describe myself as a traditional witch (warlock? wizard? Witch is unisex, isn't it?) with a reverence for the fairies. I have a particular attachment to the Queen of Elphame in all of Her many guises. I'm very new to actually practicing paganism and I thought it would be good for me to meet like-minded individuals, especially those who have been on this path much longer than I have.

Outside of magick, I am an avid player of roleplaying games, both tabletop and video. I write here and there as well. I hope this isn't too terribly long of an introduction. I look forward to meeting you all.

Hello and welcome!
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 01:29:55 am »
I like to research a little bit of everything as a hobbyist, but my main area of focus is 19th to mid 20th century Ireland. I did my first big research paper on the impact of romantic nationalism on the ideology of the participants of the 1917 Easter Rising in Dublin. It was a lot of fun to do; much of my primary source material was works by authors like Yeats, who had very mystic slants in their writing. Complimented my esoteric interests quite nicely.
Welcome! Sounds like a fun project, I find it interesting how much the 1916 Risings influence modern writers and musicians....had the privilege of visiting a Yeats exhibition some years back that had his Golden Dawn tools on display. Cool thing to see.
Semper Fidelis

Tags: