collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Good Day!  (Read 2400 times)

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Good Day!
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:00:32 pm »
Hello everyone - I'm TheGreenWizard, otherwise known as Chris, a 28 year old man in NYC. I've been exploring witchcraft since my late teens, early 20's, having grown up without religion, and then suddenly pushed into one when I was about 11 (needed to make the grandparents happy). As a scientist/science teacher, I have a methodical way of thinking, and planning, which sometimes gets me bogged down in the details, especially when I'm teaching my students. Until recently, I haven't had as much time as I would have to dedicate to studying the craft, but now that other engagements are done, I can now focus more on studying the Craft. Aside from this, I also enjoy knitting, playing with my pets (2 rabbits and 2 snakes), reading, and watching movies.

I approach magic and my spirituality through the lens of science, looking to not only my own experiences, but also referring to other resources, such as books, websites, and what not. Currently, I consider myself a solitary eclectic witch because I honestly think there are a few entities from different pantheons that come to me (including Artemis, Bacchus, and maybe Jupiter - plus the Virgin Mary, but I'm still hesitant to decrypt that last one). I'm interested in actually finding my patron goddess and god, and assembling a pantheon that works together.

Thank you all for your time, and I look forward to what I will learn her at the Cauldron!

~TGW
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
Re: Good Day!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 09:48:35 pm »
otherwise known as Chris

Me too!

a 28 year old man in NYC

I'm nearly twice your age, but also here in NYC (I'm in the Manhattan's East Village; where are you?).

having grown up without religion

Me too!

As a scientist/science teacher, I have a methodical way of thinking

I like to think the same about myself--I strive for a Vulcan-like supremacy of the rational mind. And while I'm not a science teacher, I volunteer in the NYC public schools teaching the students basic science concepts through the study of birds.

I also enjoy...watching movies.

Me too! Check this out: www.cfcooper.net/your-sacrificial-moviegoer

I approach magic and my spirituality through the lens of science

I suspect we'll get along just fine. Welcome to the Cauldron!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:32:53 pm »
I'm nearly twice your age, but also here in NYC (I'm in the Manhattan's East Village; where are you?).

Really!? I'm in Washington Heights!

I like to think the same about myself--I strive for a Vulcan-like supremacy of the rational mind. And while I'm not a science teacher, I volunteer in the NYC public schools teaching the students basic science concepts through the study of birds.

Now, this is creepy. I volunteer with a wildlife hospital who works primarily with birds. Are you with Audubon NYC or a different organization?

I suspect we'll get along just fine. Welcome to the Cauldron!

Thank you! :D
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:48:03 pm »
Really!? I'm in Washington Heights!

Now, this is creepy. I volunteer with a wildlife hospital who works primarily with birds. Are you with Audubon NYC or a different organization?

Thank you! :D
... Did we just find Altair's mini-me?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 07:47:19 pm »

I'm with NYC Audubon, the city Audubon chapter--a great group. We just finished our first year of "Feathered Friends," a new afterschool birding club we're piloting in an elementary school in the Bronx.

Before that I'd been doing an in-classroom birding program called "For the Birds!" for 15 years with Audubon NY, which is the state chapter. My favorite lesson was the evolution lesson: We'd present the hypothesis "Birds are dinosaurs," and have the kids do an experiment making a "fossil" footprint by pressing chicken feet into Play-doh and comparing it to a photo of a theropod dinosaur fossil footprint to test the hypothesis. The kids always remembered that one.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:41:21 am »
I'm with NYC Audubon, the city Audubon chapter--a great group. We just finished our first year of "Feathered Friends," a new afterschool birding club we're piloting in an elementary school in the Bronx.

Before that I'd been doing an in-classroom birding program called "For the Birds!" for 15 years with Audubon NY, which is the state chapter. My favorite lesson was the evolution lesson: We'd present the hypothesis "Birds are dinosaurs," and have the kids do an experiment making a "fossil" footprint by pressing chicken feet into Play-doh and comparing it to a photo of a theropod dinosaur fossil footprint to test the hypothesis. The kids always remembered that one.

Hello and welcome!

I'm a novice birder!  Just began this spring migration.  Also, your school outreach programs sound amazing and I'm passing this along to my bird expert friends. I think we could really use this in rural schools as a way to promote conservation and preservation by connecting children to the outside world.  Once you notice your own backyard birds, their plights and victories, you're more likely to connect to the greater cycle of natural life (hopefully). 

great stuff!

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:27:41 pm »
Hello everyone - I'm TheGreenWizard, otherwise known as Chris, a 28 year old man in NYC.

Welcome to TC!
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 09:38:35 pm »
Hello everyone - I'm TheGreenWizard, otherwise known as Chris, a 28 year old man in NYC. I've been exploring witchcraft since my late teens, early 20's, having grown up without religion, and then suddenly pushed into one when I was about 11 (needed to make the grandparents happy). As a scientist/science teacher, I have a methodical way of thinking, and planning, which sometimes gets me bogged down in the details, especially when I'm teaching my students. Until recently, I haven't had as much time as I would have to dedicate to studying the craft, but now that other engagements are done, I can now focus more on studying the Craft. Aside from this, I also enjoy knitting, playing with my pets (2 rabbits and 2 snakes), reading, and watching movies.

I approach magic and my spirituality through the lens of science, looking to not only my own experiences, but also referring to other resources, such as books, websites, and what not. Currently, I consider myself a solitary eclectic witch because I honestly think there are a few entities from different pantheons that come to me (including Artemis, Bacchus, and maybe Jupiter - plus the Virgin Mary, but I'm still hesitant to decrypt that last one). I'm interested in actually finding my patron goddess and god, and assembling a pantheon that works together.

Thank you all for your time, and I look forward to what I will learn her at the Cauldron!

~TGW

Hello and welcome
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 06:45:59 am »

I'm a novice birder!  Just began this spring migration.

In many ways I envy you; you have so many great first-time thrills ahead! (Did you see a Blackburnian Warbler--"the fire throat"--this spring? Oh, just wait...)

Anyway, welcome to birding, and I agree 100% with what you wrote about reaching out to schools, whether rural or urban.

Kenna

• "What A Shame To Have Wings & Never Fly"
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Unsure
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:46:20 pm »
I consider myself a solitary eclectic witch because I honestly think there are a few entities from different pantheons that come to me (including Artemis, Bacchus, and maybe Jupiter - plus the Virgin Mary, but I'm still hesitant to decrypt that last one). I'm interested in actually finding my patron goddess and god, and assembling a pantheon that works together.

Hey there!

Mother Mary speaks to me as well, and I would love to chit chat about it.

milkeyedmender

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan. kitchen witch.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 11:01:56 am »
In many ways I envy you; you have so many great first-time thrills ahead! (Did you see a Blackburnian Warbler--"the fire throat"--this spring? Oh, just wait...)

Anyway, welcome to birding, and I agree 100% with what you wrote about reaching out to schools, whether rural or urban.

I saw blackburnian!  Wilson's, blackpoll, black throated green, black and white, bay blasted, yellow, prothonotary, hooded, nashville, pine, palm, Tennessee, yellow rumped.  It was honestly one of the most fun and exciting months i've had in awhile.  When you see a bird in life that you've been researching through books.... all the feels.  Also, so much more connection with nature.

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 11:53:58 am »

I'm very familiar with them - Definitely would love to talk with you more on different lessons. I'm creating a wildlife medicine elective course for middle schoolers and I'd love additional input.

I'm very familiar with them - Definitely would love to talk with you more on different lessons. I'm creating a wildlife medicine elective course for middle schoolers and I'd love additional input.

Hey there!

Mother Mary speaks to me as well, and I would love to chit chat about it.

It's not that she speaks with me, more like I feel she's being overprotective of and.or hindering me. It's actually quite vexing to be honest.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:59:09 am by TheGreenWizard »

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 05:37:27 pm »
I saw blackburnian!  Wilson's, blackpoll, black throated green, black and white, bay blasted, yellow, prothonotary, hooded, nashville, pine, palm, Tennessee, yellow rumped.  It was honestly one of the most fun and exciting months i've had in awhile.  When you see a bird in life that you've been researching through books.... all the feels.  Also, so much more connection with nature.

Exactly.

(I call that feeling--"when you see a bird in life that you've been researching through books"--the Unicorn Effect. Because it really is that kind of thrill: Some mythic creature that you've only heard of, only seen pictures of...and suddenly there it is, come to life, as if a unicorn had stepped out of the forest. Biggest birding thrill there is!

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:39:13 pm »
I'm creating a wildlife medicine elective course for middle schoolers and I'd love additional input.

I'm afraid I'd be useless on bird medicine. I have 2 veterinarian friends who are active in NYC Audubon who would probably be much more useful.

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 06:05:25 pm »

~TGW

Welcome aboard!  I see you've already found a friend!  (Or did we find a mini version of someone else?)  Anyways, if you have any questions feel free to post. 
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.