collapse

Author Topic: Deities of Childbirth/Child's Destiny?  (Read 1744 times)

LanaSvit

Deities of Childbirth/Child's Destiny?
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:12:48 am »
Hello everyone.
My name is Svitlana and I'm from Ukraine.  I'm doing a kind of research now and need your help.
Our original religion was destroyed long ago and it's very difficult to restore it. But it can be done with the help of other pagan religions as a lot of European religions have some common features. I'm looking for Goddess/Goddesses in your religions who is/was responsible for childbirth, could influence on destiny of a child. I need as many details as it's possible: how she was honored, where lived, if she spinned. I would be very greateful if you help me.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:12:52 am by RandallS »

Anaitis

• View Profile
    • https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=27cbdd735d2a1560&sc=documents&id=27CBDD735D2A1560%21328#!/vie
Re: Deities of Childbirth/Child's Destiny?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 04:39:20 am »
Quote from: LanaSvit;12756
Hello everyone.
My name is Svitlana and I'm from Ukraine.  I'm doing a kind of research now and need your help.
Our original religion was destroyed long ago and it's very difficult to restore it. But it can be done with the help of other pagan religions as a lot of European religions have some common features. I'm looking for Goddess/Goddesses in your religions who is/was responsible for childbirth, could influence on destiny of a child. I need as many details as it's possible: how she was honored, where lived, if she spinned. I would be very greateful if you help me.

Look up Artemis of ancient Greece - she is the protectoress of children and perhaps more.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:54:46 am »
Quote from: Anaitis;14268
Look up Artemis of ancient Greece - she is the protectoress of children and perhaps more.

I'd also look up Hekate.

The Moirae are spinning, but I don't know if they are connected to child birth.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:09:22 pm »
Hello everyone.

I was researching something similar a few years ago.......
This is a website I came across.
http://www.celticattic.com/tips_hints/goddess_gods/children_and_childbirth_goddesses.htm

It's a list of goddesses relating to fertility and childbirth. Hope this helps!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:47:00 pm »
Quote from: Anaitis;14268

That's not entirely true.  She is the protectoress of childbirth or swift death in childbirth but not persay protectoress of children.  Most of her sanctuaries are associated to childbirth not childhood.  The closet one really comes is at her sanctuary at Varuna (sp) where you find her Arketia (Bear Maidens) who served in her sanctuary until they reach the age of marriage (abt 13 - 15).  The next closes might be at Orthia where you have the ritual of the stealing of the cheese and the dances in her honor.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:52:33 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;14271
I'd also look up Hekate.  ..

In her Anatolian roots and at her temple at Lagina (sp) she is connected to Childbirth, its part of her influence over heaven, earth and oceans (Tri-formus) and fertility goddess.  However she looses that association pretty much after she becomes associated to the Chthonic realm, Witches and magics, especially in the later Greek & Roman periods and into the middle ages.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:32:08 am »
Hello everyone.

Germanic mythology has the norns. These are female spirits that come to children at childbirth; the good norns grant good lives, and the bad norns grant lives of misfortune.  A runic inscription at Borgund states, "The norns determine good and bad things and they have brought great sorrow to me". It was important at childbirth to leave an offering to the norns in the hopes of gaining favor for the child.

In a lot of cases, when one was faced with a tremendously difficult decision (like killing a brother), they would say that it was the judgement of the norns. They not only determined a man's experience (not destiny) in life, but placed before him moments that ultimately shaped his life and cemented his worth. There is always choice involved, always an oppurtunity to live with honor, but the means to do so are often determined by these women.

In other cases, there are examples of the norns stretching wyrd to accomodate a born prince for example, so that his experience was as heroic and honorable as possible. In a way, they walk with you on your road. Some children are allowed a smooth path through wyrd while others are often thrown rocks to hinder their way. Why are some children punished and some rewarded? Because some norns are good and some are bad- simple as that.

They're also related a bit to the Valkyries and the Dsir... female spirits of death and ancestry, spirits that give and that also take.

No weaving, though.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

LanaSvit

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 02:42:35 pm »
Thank you all. I believe it'll help me in my research!

Tags: