Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: another newbie  (Read 1920 times)

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
another newbie
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:07:55 am »
not just to the forum, but to the religion itself. After reading Blue is for Nightmares I started researching wicca and witchcraft which eventually led to paganism. As i looked more and more into it, I realized that all my life I've gone back to the same morals: being close to nature, and meditation (which I guess is a moral/practice?). I'm still kind of developing what I believe. In a nut shell it's basically that there is energy in anything and everything and it flows through our souls. When we do the things we love (for example when I play oboe) or are around the people we love, that energy is amplified. I also believe that the soul acts as a prism, reflecting the different colors of the enegery at different strengths. It is because of this inequality of parts that we are naturally drawn to some people (either simply as friends or something more). Can anyone tell/direct me towards a branch of paganism that somewhat reflects this idea (if there is one). I feel like there is a lot of information to sift through, and I'm not quite sure where to start.

Furthermore, I'm not quite sure how I feel about worshiping a deity(ies). I am interested in Norse Paganism/Heathenism but I don't feel drawn to odin or thor or any of the others. Does that mean paganism is not for me?

thanks for reading!

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: another newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:22:16 am »
Quote from: bluewave193;35948
not just to the forum, but to the religion itself. After reading Blue is for Nightmares I started researching wicca and witchcraft which eventually led to paganism. As i looked more and more into it, I realized that all my life I've gone back to the same morals: being close to nature, and meditation (which I guess is a moral/practice?). I'm still kind of developing what I believe. In a nut shell it's basically that there is energy in anything and everything and it flows through our souls. When we do the things we love (for example when I play oboe) or are around the people we love, that energy is amplified. I also believe that the soul acts as a prism, reflecting the different colors of the enegery at different strengths. It is because of this inequality of parts that we are naturally drawn to some people (either simply as friends or something more). Can anyone tell/direct me towards a branch of paganism that somewhat reflects this idea (if there is one). I feel like there is a lot of information to sift through, and I'm not quite sure where to start.

Furthermore, I'm not quite sure how I feel about worshiping a deity(ies). I am interested in Norse Paganism/Heathenism but I don't feel drawn to odin or thor or any of the others. Does that mean paganism is not for me?

thanks for reading!

First off, Welcome to the Cauldron.

Something you should know is that "Pagan" is more of a category than a particular religion.  Wicca is one kind, Norse heathenism another.  There are hundreds more.  Don't worry if you don't know yet where you want to end up.  Lots of us are still discovering our paths.

Your beliefs seem compatible with a lot of pagan paths, but aren't specifically reflected in any that I know of.

Ultimately, only you can decide if paganism is "for you."  But there are lots of different kinds to choose from.  There are those who worship gods, nature, or spirits.  And there are those who don't really worship anything.  There are those who do magic (and those come in all stripes depending on what kind of magic they are doing), and those who do not.  Of the ones who worship gods, there are tons of different ideas of what gods actually ARE, and tons of different pantheons of gods to choose from: Norse, Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Celtic, Mesopotamian, Polynesian; the list goes on and on.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:54:53 am »

Welcome to The Cauldron! As Fagan said, only you can decide if any Pagan religion is for you. And you don't have to decide instantly. Take your time, learn more about them, and you will eventually make a decision.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 08:43:33 am »

Welcome to the Cauldron!

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:29:37 am »

thanks for reading!
Welcome!
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Wulffwynne

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:09:00 pm »
not just to the forum, but to the religion itself...

thanks for reading!

Hi Bluewave,  I'm new to both the forum and Paganism too.  I joined the site during the busy holiday week and am reading whilst at work at the moment, so I'm waiting until I have the time to put together a thoughtful introduction (phone rings after about every other sentence I type, lol).

I wanted to reach out to you because I'm interested, but also a little hesitant.  Having broken with the religion in which I was raised... I also feel leery of adopting new "dieties."  As well as some other questions and concerns I'll formulate in my own posting... But I would like to "friend" some other newbies and maybe we can aid eachother in our search and growth.  Pls send me an add request if you're interested. :-)

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 11:26:17 pm »
Quote from: Wulffwynne;36515
Hi Bluewave,  I'm new to both the forum and Paganism too.  I joined the site during the busy holiday week and am reading whilst at work at the moment, so I'm waiting until I have the time to put together a thoughtful introduction (phone rings after about every other sentence I type, lol).

I wanted to reach out to you because I'm interested, but also a little hesitant.  Having broken with the religion in which I was raised... I also feel leery of adopting new "dieties."  As well as some other questions and concerns I'll formulate in my own posting... But I would like to "friend" some other newbies and maybe we can aid eachother in our search and growth.  Pls send me an add request if you're interested. :-)

sounds good. and I know what you mean. it seems a little odd to be stepping out of the norm as far as religion is concerned. And I would "friend" you, if I knew how...

I think we can come up with a lot of great stuff. I'm not sure how I feel about deities, but I want to view them as a companion rather then something/one to worship and pledge my life and devotion to.

Wulffwynne

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 11:49:40 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;36524
I want to view them as a companion rather then something/one to worship and pledge my life and devotion to.

what you just said sounds like "spirit guides" to me.  I've heard them discussed and know a little about what they are, but have never dabbled in trying to contact one...

I don't have any "friends" yet! lol. will try to add you now ;-)

Wulffwynne

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 11:50:58 pm »
I clicked your name from your post, then "add to contacts" and then it asked if I also wanted to add you as a friend

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 11:56:19 pm »
Quote from: Wulffwynne;36528
I clicked your name from your post, then "add to contacts" and then it asked if I also wanted to add you as a friend

I got it! and I actually just started a post on spirit guides here: http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?2219-meditation-problems-I-feel-lost&p=36526#post36526

it's more about my personal problem then who/what they are, but I'm hoping to get some helpful replies with it.

Tags: