Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What can you do with toilet rolls?  (Read 5204 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: What can you do with toilet rolls?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 06:46:51 pm »
And I don't see why they couldn't be used to escape the hordes from the upper storey window?  I mean apart from the fact that as you start piling them up to cushion your fall you're probably going to be seen and then the horde are just going to steal your crash mat & run off with it...

Didn't the Mythbusters do a prison escape myth where they braided TP into ropes?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 09:51:55 am »
Didn't the Mythbusters do a prison escape myth where they braided TP into ropes?

I don't remember that episode, though I am pretty sure they did do one where they braided something or other into ropes (I can't recall what, now).

They also did an escape from Alcatraz episode (I think the rope on that occasion was something to do with the silk from a parachute - though, again, I may be confusing two separate myths).  The escape was meant to have been done with a duct tape boat I believe, which IIRC did work on the episode.

I think it's not known whether the escapees ever made it or not, though like many of these things there are lots of theories.  It was a good episode.

PS I found half a roll of the real cheap TP they supply at work lingering around the apartment, and I'm going to start my Covid-19 journal now - I'll keep you updated (PPS I didn't steal it, I borrowed it for my streaming nose on the train home when I had a cold one time, and evidently forgot to take the rest back the next day!  Honest!).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 10:08:08 pm »
I'm going to start my Covid-19 journal now

I just had to share this with you - woman gets Dear John (Jane?) letters from her family on TP!

“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 06:45:14 pm »
I don't remember that episode, though I am pretty sure they did do one where they braided something or other into ropes (I can't recall what, now).

Wikipedia to the rescue! They did three materials: TP, bedsheets, and hair.

In other news, I heard an anecdote about a pizza delivery place adding TP to their menu.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:56 pm »
In other news, I heard an anecdote about a pizza delivery place adding TP to their menu.

Slightly OT, but today (still the 30th in the U.S.) is my eldest nephew's birthday. I just finished boxing him up his birthday present. Here it is:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

(Oh, by the way...he's a nondrinker!)
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 08:18:29 am »
Wikipedia to the rescue! They did three materials: TP, bedsheets, and hair.

Gosh, I don't know that I recall the hair episode either (but then my memory is pretty notorious around here for stinking when it comes to film & TV).

And it wouldn't surprise me about the pizza menu - probably something like $5.99 a roll, is it?   ;D
(From the Metta Sutta)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2020, 05:53:26 am »

Making a magical set of goggles to enhance one's witchy vision comes to mind.

(To explain this video: back in 2013 Jack sporked a book on Steampunk Neo-Wicca that included a bit about how goggles are a tool to "enhance the sight of the practitioner and enable the individual to perceive obstacles that may be looming beyond normal vision." The book included directions on how to make goggles from a cut-in-half toilet paper roll. I have zero impulse control.)

(TL;DR it's Jack's fault.)

Also, not sure how the link to the video is going to work. It's not public, but it's unlisted, which means you should be able to view it if you click on the link...but I know our forum software likes to do auto-embed stuff that doesn't show up all the time in post preview, so...this post may need to be edited.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2020, 05:57:11 am »
Also, not sure how the link to the video is going to work. It's not public, but it's unlisted, which means you should be able to view it if you click on the link...but I know our forum software likes to do auto-embed stuff that doesn't show up all the time in post preview, so...this post may need to be edited.

Ok, I tested it in another browser. When you try to play it, there will be a message that says the owner doesn't allow embeds. Just click the link and it'll take you to Youtube to watch Morag Being Silly.

I would try to make it just be a link to Youtube but I haven't figured out how to do that without the auto-embed on the forum kicking in, and I'm too tired to try right now.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 05:08:19 pm »
I would try to make it just be a link to Youtube but I haven't figured out how to do that without the auto-embed on the forum kicking in, and I'm too tired to try right now.

I think I remember managing to not auto-embed once, accidentally (i.e., on that particular occasion, I actually wanted it to auto-embed) - I don't recall how, though, except that it was non-obvious and at least somewhat 'opposite what one would expect' in nature.

If at some point when you're not too tired you experiment, and manage to successfully figure out how to post a link that doesn't auto-embed, it would be a great blessing for TC as a whole.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Rodney_Dawn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 04:45:36 pm »
So I think the title says it all. I know there are many people on here who are living in isolation and worried but I feel we musn't forget those poor people who now have to find uses for several hundred rolls of bulk brought toilet rolls which now clutter and barricade their homes.

Has anyone got any parctical ideas for using said items?
I have already discounted using them to escape the hordes of pitchfork wielding, toilet roll eating mobs, from upper floor windows. Also I doubt they would take writing.
I've found the empty carboard tube in the center to be great for candlemaking.  cover the bottom with wax paper and a rubber band, and set the wick centered by putting it through a hole punched in a piece of cardboard like from a cereal box.

Tags: