Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Garden: What did you do in your garden today?  (Read 29968 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: What did you do in your garden today?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2017, 01:40:22 pm »
I did my morning meditation just before dawn; watched a Painted Lady butterfly; then lay in the hammock and fell back asleep. We'll see if I do anything more productive later on, but really, on such a gorgeous weekend day, why?

My afternoon in the garden yesterday was as labor-free as that morning, and as today. I spent yesterday afternoon just watching the butterflies, racking up a nice total of 6 species (from tiny to gargantuan: Eastern Tailed-Blue, Sachem, Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Black Swallowtail, Monarch). Today the Monarch is back, but a Spring Azure has replaced the Eastern Tailed-Blue (they're incredibly similar, and I keep checking to make sure I'm not misidentifying; but no, two remarkably similar but distinct butterflies in the same spot in the garden on back-to-back days.)

That's 7 butterfly species in the last 24 hours. Anyone who tells you that Manhattan is nothing but pigeons and rats is a liar.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 02:20:40 pm »

This weekend I harvested my garlic bed (4ft by 30ft) and picked 35 pounds of blackberries between the 2 days. Got another 10 pounds yesterday after work. Wine will happen!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2017, 06:15:40 pm »
This weekend I harvested my garlic bed (4ft by 30ft) and picked 35 pounds of blackberries between the 2 days. Got another 10 pounds yesterday after work. Wine will happen!!!!

This week I re-erected my poor greenhouse that was knocked over by a recent storm- thankfully my fiancé rescued my tomato plants!
We put it back up and secured it more strongly this time, then started re-potting my tomatoes into bigger pots and will continue this over the coming days.
I also tended to my bell pepper plants and will be re-potting my basil tomorrow 😀
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2017, 10:17:25 am »
I also tended to my bell pepper plants and will be re-potting my basil tomorrow 😀

Autumn has come - and I  have harvested a pumpkin today.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2017, 06:49:17 pm »
Autumn has come - and I  have harvested a pumpkin today.
I sorted out the garlic I will use as seed when I plant garlic next weekend.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 12:52:01 pm »
I sorted out the garlic I will use as seed when I plant garlic next weekend.

Resurrecting for the spring! Today I went out to clean up after the crazy windstorm on Friday. Had myself a little purification ritual where I burned in the firepit any fallen branches from the winter and the leftover dead masses of some of the herbs with purifying properties: mugwort, rue, eucalyptus, vervain, hyssop. Then pruned my roses and apple trees, and cut down some of the ornamental grasses to make room for the new growth.

I have some seeds that I've been cold stratifying out on my deck this winter and I noticed a few of them have started sprouting- in particular my Papaver somniferum "Monet's Garden" and my Angelica atropurpurea. We still have at least another week of days with high temps in the 50's and overnight lows close to freezing so we'll see if I get more sprouts next week. Later today I plan on starting the spring seeds that don't need cold inside so they'll be ready to move out in a few weeks.

Hamelden

• Be like water.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Nondenominational
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 09:09:26 pm »
What did you do in your garden today?

The idea is to  have some sort of garden diary over  the time of the year.

--------------------

Today I won't do much in my garden - as it is snowing right now.

I don't have a garden, but I wished I did. I don't really have much of anything that I can truly say is mine. As soon as summer arrives, I'm thinking of running away buck naked into the wilderness to change that. Live of the land; get back in touch with nature, etc.
Stay true. Stay free. Stay safe.

--Hamelden

faye_cat

• View Profile
    • http://www.starsinthevoid.wordpress.com
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2018, 10:01:36 pm »

Today I cleared all the overgrowth and dead things from the gardens. Soon I'll lay down cardboard (newspaper?) and some more soil, then plant.

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 11:00:07 pm »

--------------------

Today I won't do much in my garden - as it is snowing right now.

We discussed today what we're going to do with the sizeable garden plot that came with our house.

The former owners put out a massive vegetable garden every year for almost 40 years, and it was basically a community garden.  Last year when we bought the house, we did nothing with the garden plot, choosing to focus on the inside of the house for fixing up first.

The garden plot went WILD.  Weeds, man, high as my waist, and then ones taller than me sporadically sticking out everywhere.  It looked a mess.

The Boy, doesn't do outdoor temperatures above 65 degrees, MAYBE 70 if he's having a good day.  He jokes he's paper white.  He really doesn't do anything outdoors from about May-September if he doesn't have to.

I am working on my 2018 resolution, which is to set better boundaries for new pursuits.  I have to learn to say no to things.  I've never had a particularly green thumb anyways, and I'm not looking to add such an intensive undertaking to my repertoire.

Anyways, we're going to rent a rototiller for a day to turn under any and all of whatever the heck is out there, and then put that black landscaping stuff down over it for this summer.  In the fall... we may reseed and add it to the yard.  I may keep a small corner of it to see if I can do something next year, and just reseed a majority of it.  We're not that far into the thinking yet.

I'm excited to see what everyone else does with their gardens though!  If I had more energy and time in the day, I'd love a small herb garden.  I just don't think now is the right time in my life.
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2018, 03:05:33 pm »

It's getting to be spring, and I need to set up my patio garden. So a couple days ago I ordered plants from a Washington state nursery that sells online: a brown turkey dwarf fig to be the centerpiece of my main planter, some lavender and rosemary to go with it, and some salal shrubs. Figs are sacred trees to Dionysos that sometimes mark the entrance to the underworld, lavender and rosemary are good solid magical plants that are also pretty, and salal is a berry plant native to the Pacific Northwest which is a staple of historical Native diets in this area. I thought that'd be a good combination, although I'm not yet sure where I'll put the salal...
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2018, 06:14:22 am »
It's getting to be spring, and I need to set up my patio garden.

I've been cultivating a small balcony garden, I miss having a yard. The balcony is south facing, and being in the southern hemisphere is doesn't get a great deal of sun. Apparently it's just enough though since our potted lemon tree is fruiting.
I'm also waiting for my mandrake to sprout again since the weather has cooled off.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 05:03:07 pm »
I've been cultivating a small balcony garden, I miss having a yard. The balcony is south facing, and being in the southern hemisphere is doesn't get a great deal of sun. Apparently it's just enough though since our potted lemon tree is fruiting.
I'm also waiting for my mandrake to sprout again since the weather has cooled off.

Today I put my heirloom tomato sprouts into gallon containers filled with manure, hoping for a bumper crop in the summer. I got the sweet alyssum plugs into the "ground"; I underplant them with my three trees to create a unifying border that softens the edges of the containers the trees live in. I got the rustic fountain out of dormancy and running last weekend; next up (I'm procrastinating by writing this) is constructing an arbor at the entrance to the garden.

Call me crazy, but the next garden project after the arbor is trying to get a moss garden started...on a sun-drenched, wind-dried rooftop. I've picked a relatively shady spot next to the fountain (which is where I want the moss anyway, to help give things that woodland stream feel) and mail-ordered moss species that are supposedly sun-tolerant. This weekend, to get a test going, I took some moss I found growing under a pot and transplanted it to the desired area. We shall see...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:05:16 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2018, 05:08:09 pm »
It's getting to be spring, and I need to set up my patio garden. So a couple days ago I ordered plants from a Washington state nursery that sells online: a brown turkey dwarf fig to be the centerpiece of my main planter, some lavender and rosemary to go with it, and some salal shrubs.

Another container gardener. We should talk.

Do you irrigate, or water by hand?

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 05:17:34 pm »
Another container gardener. We should talk.

We probably should, as I have no idea what I'm doing. XD The plants finally arrived recently and I potted most of them (except the salal, which I don't have a space for yet--I should fix that). But I haven't been sure what else to do other than keep watering them.

Do you irrigate, or water by hand?

So far I've been watering by hand, but I'm not sure how much is a good idea, since we do get a decent amount of rain here even in the summer.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2018, 11:51:03 pm »
So far I've been watering by hand, but I'm not sure how much is a good idea, since we do get a decent amount of rain here even in the summer.

I'm most of the way through turning over the garden plot, in preparation for reclaiming for the yard.  Tiring work, I'm doing it by hand, a bit every day.  The neighbors asked why we didn't rent a tiller... uh, cause we just paid a large unexpected amount evicting a family of raccoons from our chimney and getting it cleaned.  We can borrow a spade from the parents, and I'll be sore as hell, but alright.
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Tags: