collapse

Author Topic: Garden: Something is eating my birch tree leaves?  (Read 1233 times)

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Something is eating my birch tree leaves?
« on: September 19, 2018, 01:33:44 pm »
Something is eating my birch tree leaves? Many leaves have little round holes and like someone took a crafts scissors and cut lacy edges of leaves like old pictures have a deckled edge.
I did not see any creatures on/under the leaves. We had several heatwaves this summer and now it is september and temps are 27C. Any idea what this might be?
I use the birch leaves for foot baths for OA and use only those that are hole-free which is like 1/3 of it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:27:02 am by RandallS »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Something is eating my birch tree leaves?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:21:30 pm »
I did not see any creatures on/under the leaves. We had several heatwaves this summer and now it is september and temps are 27C. Any idea what this might be?

Where are you? Your use of Celsius tells me "probably not the US" but that doesn't narrow it down much. 
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:06:29 pm »
Something is eating my birch tree leaves? Many leaves have little round holes and like someone took a crafts scissors and cut lacy edges of leaves like old pictures have a deckled edge.
I use the birch leaves for foot baths for OA and use only those that are hole-free which is like 1/3 of it.

27C is Too Hot for September.

Also is there any sticky white residue on the leaves that are most affected? Does your area have high concentrations of moths? Are there any natural pest predators in your area(like red ladybugs or spiders)? If yes to the last one look into what attracts them, if you can bring some to your area you might be able to use them to keep pests in check :)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:03:51 am »

I was going to say leaf cutter bees, but in my experience (1) birch is not one of their favored species, and (2) they leave one or two big perfect circles, not a lace pattern. Maybe birch leaf miners?

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/guide-birch-tree-pests-diseases-47674.html
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: