collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Home: Vinegar and Sage?  (Read 846 times)

Leanan Sidhe

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 198
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Vinegar and Sage?
« on: June 24, 2013, 02:08:23 am »
I used to clean with vinegar. I'm planning on starting that back up up again. But I never really added anything to scent it with, except orange and lemon. I used essential oils a few times, too, mostly lavender.

I have some dried sage and was thinking of using that, but I heard that some herbs can discolor surfaces. Has anyone else used vinegar to clean, and if you have, have you ever used sage in it? How did it work? I'm also wondering if sage will truly scent it, or if the smell of sage will get eaten up by the vinegar.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:44:41 am by RandallS »
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Nerys53

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 171
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vinegar and Sage?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:30:34 am »
Quote from: Leanan Sidhe;113442
I used to clean with vinegar. I'm planning on starting that back up up again. But I never really added anything to scent it with, except orange and lemon. I used essential oils a few times, too, mostly lavender.

I have some dried sage and was thinking of using that, but I heard that some herbs can discolor surfaces. Has anyone else used vinegar to clean, and if you have, have you ever used sage in it? How did it work? I'm also wondering if sage will truly scent it, or if the smell of sage will get eaten up by the vinegar.

 
Rosemary & vinegar diluted with some water for countertops laminate flooring windows mirrors. Rosemary is a natural disinfectant. To the citrus ones you make besides adding different citrus peels to the bottle of vinegar try adding a few cloves.:)
For real wood furniture there are recipes online for making a homemade wood polish based on  natural items. For drains add a heaping amount of Arm & Hammer baking soda add vinegar on top the 2 will react together keep face away rinse through with hot water repeat a few times to clear drains.
Vinegar overnight in toilet will remove scale build up. Any faucets with buildup surround with cotton wool add vinegar to moisten leave to stand and will dissolve grime scale.
Bowls of scented vinegar will moisten home air refresh air and has other uses.
Lavender infused water for ironing clothes or sprinkling a bit to refresh bed linnen.
Lavender infused water is also very good for face skin as is rose vinegar.
 Natural brunettes can use rosemary vinegar for glossy shiny hair as a final rinse.
Sage I have not used in cleaning maybe it would work will look it up in my herbal
books. Lots of housekeeping household tips on http://www.bhg.com and the womans day site.

Nerys53

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 171
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vinegar and Sage?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:21:56 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;113474
Rosemary & vinegar diluted with some water for countertops laminate flooring windows mirrors. Rosemary is a natural disinfectant. To the citrus ones you make besides adding different citrus peels to the bottle of vinegar try adding a few cloves.:)
For real wood furniture there are recipes online for making a homemade wood polish based on  natural items. For drains add a heaping amount of Arm & Hammer baking soda add vinegar on top the 2 will react together keep face away rinse through with hot water repeat a few times to clear drains.
Vinegar overnight in toilet will remove scale build up. Any faucets with buildup surround with cotton wool add vinegar to moisten leave to stand and will dissolve grime scale.
Bowls of scented vinegar will moisten home air refresh air and has other uses.
Lavender infused water for ironing clothes or sprinkling a bit to refresh bed linnen.
Lavender infused water is also very good for face skin as is rose vinegar.
 Natural brunettes can use rosemary vinegar for glossy shiny hair as a final rinse.
Sage I have not used in cleaning maybe it would work will look it up in my herbal
books. Lots of housekeeping household tips on http://www.bhg.com and the womans day site.

 
also see http://www.craftster.org see section Home Sweet Home thread Home-Made
 Cleaning

chworkman

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vinegar and Sage?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:03:52 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;113478
also see http://www.craftster.org see section Home Sweet Home thread Home-Made
 Cleaning

 
I use vinegar as well, for cleaning everything from floors to dishes, and bug spray too!  I find essential oils work best, as dried herbs do tend to discolor, only if it's a light surface to begin with though.  If you're only using it on a medium to dark counter, floor, etc, or even toilet, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I've found that dried rose petals work wonders for masking the scent of vinegar in my bathroom, and eucalyptus essential to mask it in my bug spray.  The kids love it too!  Sage will work well if you don't mind the color, the small one it might make!  Good luck!

Leanan Sidhe

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 198
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vinegar and Sage?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 05:57:50 pm »
Quote from: Nerys53;113474
Rosemary & vinegar diluted with some water for countertops laminate flooring windows mirrors. Rosemary is a natural disinfectant. To the citrus ones you make besides adding different citrus peels to the bottle of vinegar try adding a few cloves.:)
For real wood furniture there are recipes online for making a homemade wood polish based on  natural items. For drains add a heaping amount of Arm & Hammer baking soda add vinegar on top the 2 will react together keep face away rinse through with hot water repeat a few times to clear drains.
Vinegar overnight in toilet will remove scale build up. Any faucets with buildup surround with cotton wool add vinegar to moisten leave to stand and will dissolve grime scale.
Bowls of scented vinegar will moisten home air refresh air and has other uses.
Lavender infused water for ironing clothes or sprinkling a bit to refresh bed linnen.
Lavender infused water is also very good for face skin as is rose vinegar.
 Natural brunettes can use rosemary vinegar for glossy shiny hair as a final rinse.
Sage I have not used in cleaning maybe it would work will look it up in my herbal
books. Lots of housekeeping household tips on http://www.bhg.com and the womans day site.

 
Wow, thank you! That's a lot of useful information. And I never thought of adding cloves, but I love the idea and I'm going to try it!
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Leanan Sidhe

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 198
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vinegar and Sage?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 05:59:08 pm »
Quote from: chworkman;113483
I use vinegar as well, for cleaning everything from floors to dishes, and bug spray too!  I find essential oils work best, as dried herbs do tend to discolor, only if it's a light surface to begin with though.  If you're only using it on a medium to dark counter, floor, etc, or even toilet, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I've found that dried rose petals work wonders for masking the scent of vinegar in my bathroom, and eucalyptus essential to mask it in my bug spray.  The kids love it too!  Sage will work well if you don't mind the color, the small one it might make!  Good luck!

 
Thanks! I love eucalyptus, but I've never used it for cleaning. I'll spot test it with the sage and see how it turns out.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
1075 Views
Last post July 27, 2012, 02:06:23 pm
by blackwolf696
40 Replies
3939 Views
Last post December 21, 2012, 02:49:09 pm
by Marukai
5 Replies
668 Views
Last post August 22, 2014, 03:18:18 pm
by HeartShadow
4 Replies
2886 Views
Last post June 03, 2015, 05:33:49 pm
by Laveth
18 Replies
1964 Views
Last post October 15, 2016, 01:26:12 pm
by leeza567

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall