Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Random animal deaths & treatment of the remains  (Read 4368 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Random animal deaths & treatment of the remains
« on: May 10, 2019, 02:59:29 pm »
Putting this here because I wasn't sure where else to put it.

It's not that long since I passed by the little body of a deceased wagtail at the train station.  Then on the way to work this morning I passed by the body of a deceased tit (sorry Altair).  With the wagtail I advised a member of station staff, and passed the responsibility on to them (hoping that they'd be respectful whilst they dealt with the situation, though realistically knowing they'd probably place the bird in the refuse) - I said I was concerned it might upset any children who happened to see it.   This morning with the tit I'd no time to do anything, even if I'd known what I could do, because I was on my way for a train. 

It got me wondering, what do others do when they come across random animal remains (not roadkill)?

It'd be different if it were clearly a domestic pet.  Firstly, I'd probably cry.  Secondly I'd want to find the owner so they'd have the closure of at least knowing what had happened to their furbaby.

But I don't know what I can do about random wild animal remains (again, not so much roadkill).  I live in an apartment block with only a communal front lawn.  Some years back I buried a deceased dwarf hamster out there in a little handmade 'casket', but I don't even own gardening tools so I can't go burying every dead bird out there even if I had the time or energy.  Also it's communal so the neighbours might have something to say about it if I did.

Interested to hear others' thoughts about this one (sorry for the somewhat morose topic).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Random animal deaths & treatment of the remains
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 03:56:44 pm »

It's not that long since I passed by the little body of a deceased wagtail at the train station.  Then on the way to work this morning I passed by the body of a deceased tit (sorry Altair).  With the wagtail I advised a member of station staff, and passed the responsibility on to them (hoping that they'd be respectful whilst they dealt with the situation, though realistically knowing they'd probably place the bird in the refuse) - I said I was concerned it might upset any children who happened to see it.   This morning with the tit I'd no time to do anything, even if I'd known what I could do, because I was on my way for a train. 

It got me wondering, what do others do when they come across random animal remains (not roadkill)?

It'd be different if it were clearly a domestic pet.  Firstly, I'd probably cry.  Secondly I'd want to find the owner so they'd have the closure of at least knowing what had happened to their furbaby.

But I don't know what I can do about random wild animal remains (again, not so much roadkill).  I live in an apartment block with only a communal front lawn.  Some years back I buried a deceased dwarf hamster out there in a little handmade 'casket', but I don't even own gardening tools so I can't go burying every dead bird out there even if I had the time or energy.  Also it's communal so the neighbours might have something to say about it if I did.

Interested to hear others' thoughts about this one (sorry for the somewhat morose topic).

I don't really know what to do other than say a prayer, so that's what I do.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 07:43:31 pm »
I don't really know what to do other than say a prayer, so that's what I do.
I also say a prayer, and if the animal was potentially a pet I ask for comfort for the family concerned... especially if there are /were children involved.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Klaw

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Norse Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 03:47:22 pm »

I may have a bit of a different view on this. I grew up on a farm. Animals died all the time. Now I mostly just think of it as a empty vessel. I may imagine the drawing of a pentacle in my head and wish it a peaceful journey if it is recently deceased. Otherwise unless the body is a hazard I don't interfere with people's jobs or the natural process.

Tags: