collapse

Author Topic: Home: Household gadgets  (Read 5067 times)

Sefiru

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: In the walls
  • Posts: 1667
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 326
    • View Profile
Household gadgets
« on: August 04, 2015, 08:08:55 pm »
Have you got any silly, cool or unique household gadgets?

I recently found a mold for small spherical ice cubes. They are really cute, though the mold is all one piece so getting them out is a bit tricky. I've seen a lot of fancy ice molds in all kinds of shapes, but I just had to have this one.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:33:44 am by RandallS »

HeartShadow

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2195
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:46:17 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;178196
Have you got any silly, cool or unique household gadgets?

I recently found a mold for small spherical ice cubes. They are really cute, though the mold is all one piece so getting them out is a bit tricky. I've seen a lot of fancy ice molds in all kinds of shapes, but I just had to have this one.

 
We have a brain-shaped jello mold.  Because if you're gonna make jello, it darn well better be brains!

my son ADORES it. :)

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:41:49 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;178196
Have you got any silly, cool or unique household gadgets?

I recently found a mold for small spherical ice cubes. They are really cute, though the mold is all one piece so getting them out is a bit tricky. I've seen a lot of fancy ice molds in all kinds of shapes, but I just had to have this one.

 
Does an absinthe fountain count? :D:  

We also have a mold for spherical ice cubes - it's in two pieces, and the cubes come out about an inch in diameter. Great for summer cocktails.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Chatelaine

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 710
  • Country: gb
  • Total likes: 45
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:40:27 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;178196
Have you got any silly, cool or unique household gadgets?

I recently found a mold for small spherical ice cubes. They are really cute, though the mold is all one piece so getting them out is a bit tricky. I've seen a lot of fancy ice molds in all kinds of shapes, but I just had to have this one.


Not all spherical ice cube moulds are created equal. :D:
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Sarah

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 827
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 04:04:13 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;178326
Not all spherical ice cube moulds are created equal. :D:

 
i keep thinking about buying one of them for a candle mould
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sefiru

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: In the walls
  • Posts: 1667
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 326
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 07:53:34 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;178322
Does an absinthe fountain count? :D:  

We also have a mold for spherical ice cubes - it's in two pieces, and the cubes come out about an inch in diameter. Great for summer cocktails.


That's a lot of absinthe. Is it like a chocolate fountain?

My 'cubes' (squaring the circle much?) are about 1/2 inch, I think.

Sefiru

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: In the walls
  • Posts: 1667
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 326
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 07:55:49 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;178316
We have a brain-shaped jello mold.  Because if you're gonna make jello, it darn well better be brains!

my son ADORES it. :)


Do you pick the jello flavor to look like brains too?

(I have always intended, if I ever go to a halloween pot luck, to do a whole cauliflower with green 'ooze' dressing. Hooray for brain food!)

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:00:50 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;178331
That's a lot of absinthe. Is it like a chocolate fountain?

My 'cubes' (squaring the circle much?) are about 1/2 inch, I think.

Not at all!  Absinthe is (most often) prepared by dilution with water and sugar.  The "traditional" way is to use a fountain, glass, and spoon.

Fill the fountain with ice water.  Measure out absinthe into the glass, usually to the marked line, and position it under one of the fountain taps.  Place the spoon across the top of the glass, with a sugar cube on top of it.  Then, open the fountain so the water drips onto the sugar cube and into the glass; this is called the louche.  Once the absinthe is at the proper cloudiness and the sugar cube has dissolved, stop the fountain and drink.

(Can you tell I am into ritual?)

Here's a good video of the louche:

I spend a bit of time with absinthe - it's my entheogen of choice.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:02:20 am by veggiewolf »
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Sarah

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Apr 2013
  • Posts: 827
  • Total likes: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:19:07 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;178347
Not at all!  Absinthe is (most often) prepared by dilution with water and sugar.  The "traditional" way is to use a fountain, glass, and spoon.

Fill the fountain with ice water.  Measure out absinthe into the glass, usually to the marked line, and position it under one of the fountain taps.  Place the spoon across the top of the glass, with a sugar cube on top of it.  Then, open the fountain so the water drips onto the sugar cube and into the glass; this is called the louche.  Once the absinthe is at the proper cloudiness and the sugar cube has dissolved, stop the fountain and drink.

(Can you tell I am into ritual?)

Here's a good video of the louche:

I spend a bit of time with absinthe - it's my entheogen of choice.

 
Absinthe makes me crazy but I really like the concept of the fountain ritual
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sefiru

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: In the walls
  • Posts: 1667
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 326
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 06:50:39 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;178347


I spend a bit of time with absinthe - it's my entheogen of choice.


I have Issues about mind-altering substances, but that does look cool. I wonder if there are any other liquors that do that?

SunflowerP

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8116
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 217
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 07:15:45 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;178380
I have Issues about mind-altering substances, but that does look cool. I wonder if there are any other liquors that do that?

 
I think there might be one or two other liquors that are 'enhanced' with substances that have their own intoxicating properties - but don't forget that alcohol itself can be an entheogen. (It's my entheogen of choice, because it's legal and readily available, and I already knew a great deal about my body's response to various dosages before I ever started using it entheogenically.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sefiru

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: In the walls
  • Posts: 1667
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 326
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 06:48:55 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;178382
I think there might be one or two other liquors that are 'enhanced' with substances that have their own intoxicating properties - but don't forget that alcohol itself can be an entheogen. (It's my entheogen of choice, because it's legal and readily available, and I already knew a great deal about my body's response to various dosages before I ever started using it entheogenically.)

Sunflower


I was actually talking about the way it suddenly turns cloudy, but your point is well taken.

Morag

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: deep in the woods
  • Posts: 2354
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 97
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or they/them
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 12:27:38 am »
Quote from: Sefiru;178196
Have you got any silly, cool or unique household gadgets?

I recently found a mold for small spherical ice cubes. They are really cute, though the mold is all one piece so getting them out is a bit tricky. I've seen a lot of fancy ice molds in all kinds of shapes, but I just had to have this one.

 
I have a Doctor Who ice cube tray that makes three TARDISes and three Daleks. You can also use it as a chocolate mould; it's made out of silicone. It was a Christmas present from my sister-in-law.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic | Morag's Spindle
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SunflowerP

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8116
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 217
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 04:59:18 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;178509
I was actually talking about the way it suddenly turns cloudy, but your point is well taken.

 
Ah, okay. First thing that comes to mind, then, is ouzo.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sefiru

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: In the walls
  • Posts: 1667
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 326
    • View Profile
Re: Household gadgets
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 06:30:21 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;178542
Ah, okay. First thing that comes to mind, then, is ouzo.

Sunflower


Also an anise-flavored drink. Hmmm ... *grabs Sambucca bottle*

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
1682 Views
Last post October 22, 2011, 12:21:06 pm
by SatSekhem
4 Replies
1443 Views
Last post February 03, 2012, 02:47:36 pm
by Zephie
10 Replies
2598 Views
Last post November 24, 2013, 10:51:12 am
by Keri
8 Replies
1056 Views
Last post June 06, 2015, 12:44:52 am
by Mellee
1 Replies
382 Views
Last post October 09, 2018, 09:59:10 pm
by EnderDragonFire

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall