collapse

Important Announcement

Changing the Guard at The Cauldron

Sunflower is the new Host of The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum
Please read this thread for more information.

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Home: Himalayan Salt Lamps  (Read 2196 times)

Olivia

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Posts: 228
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Himalayan Salt Lamps
« on: January 07, 2016, 11:38:38 pm »
I have bad allergies and I heard that the Himalayan salt lamps are really good for that. Has anyone tried them and did you think they worked?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:32:51 am by RandallS »

Scales

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: BC
  • Posts: 376
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Himalayan Salt Lamps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 03:19:43 am »
Quote from: Olivia;184821
I have bad allergies and I heard that the Himalayan salt lamps are really good for that. Has anyone tried them and did you think they worked?

 
What are you allergic to? If it's dust and stuff (airborne bits in your house), I could see them working (but I don't have experience).

PerditaPickle

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Aug 2015
  • Location: UK
  • Posts: 780
  • Country: england
  • Total likes: 147
  • I'm sorry, I can't - I have plans with my cats...
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry-leaning learner
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Himalayan Salt Lamps
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 06:30:08 am »
Quote from: Olivia;184821
I have bad allergies and I heard that the Himalayan salt lamps are really good for that. Has anyone tried them and did you think they worked?

Hi - I read the same thing, and I purchased a small-ish cube shaped tealight holder, which I burn a candle in whenever my dust/pet hair allergies are acting up (and usually I've already taken an antihistamine tablet & it's not been effective).  I don't know whether it's just the placebo effect, but I do find it helps ease the symptoms somewhat.  A salt lamp would presumably be larger so theoretically any beneficial effects should be greater, although I'm not sure of the effect of the electricity.  A quick look on Wikipedia just now indicated that there's no evidence for any known health benefits from salt lamps at this time, however (so maybe it is just the placebo effect with me afterall...).

Also, when I purchased my tealight holder it only dawned on me afterwards that I'm not sure of the ethics of purchasing Himalayan salt products, i.e. does the mining(?) of this product damage the environment, are the miners given a fair wage for their work, etc...?

I found this article on e-bay regarding lamp quality, if you still think you're interested in purchasing one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Himalayan-Salt-Lamps-A-Guide-to-Purchasing-/10000000000725009/g.html.  I've struggled, during a fairly quick search, to find much information about the ethics of salt mining.

Just a few further points on allergies, I found some fairly reliable sounding sources indicating the following can perhaps help:-
~ Vitamin C has a natural antihistamine effect
~ Drinking peppermint tea apparently helps inflamed nasal passages
I'm afraid I failed to make a note of the websites where I found this information (as once I found the info I was looking for I didn't think I'd need it again), but what I do is cross-check with a number of other sites, including at least one or more that I trust and find reliable.

The following tips I have not yet managed to cross-check to find out if they're reliable:-
~ butterbur tablets
~ organic flax seed or hemp seed oil
~ organic Oregano Oil
~ make your own saline nasal spray - teaspoon of salt in pint of warm (distilled) water and add a pinch of baking soda
~ some sites seemed to indicate that taking Echinacea may improve the immune system and be beneficial for allergies, as well as just colds etc

Finally, if you don't already eat a fairly healthy diet, improving your diet will help improve your immune system which should in turn lessen the allergy symptoms somewhat.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:31:56 am by Pickle »
"Everything's made up of elements, right? Earth, Water, Air, Fire and... sunnink. Well-known fact. Everything's got 'em all mixed up just right."
Character Nobby Nobbs in the late, great Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel The Truth

Olivia

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Posts: 228
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Himalayan Salt Lamps
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:52 pm »
Quote from: Scales;184835
What are you allergic to? If it's dust and stuff (airborne bits in your house), I could see them working (but I don't have experience).


It is just dust and airborn stuff in the house.
 
Quote from: Pickle;184841
Hi - I read the same thing, and I purchased a small-ish cube shaped tealight holder, which I burn a candle in whenever my dust/pet hair allergies are acting up (and usually I've already taken an antihistamine tablet & it's not been effective).  I don't know whether it's just the placebo effect, but I do find it helps ease the symptoms somewhat.  A salt lamp would presumably be larger so theoretically any beneficial effects should be greater, although I'm not sure of the effect of the electricity.  A quick look on Wikipedia just now indicated that there's no evidence for any known health benefits from salt lamps at this time, however (so maybe it is just the placebo effect with me afterall...).

Also, when I purchased my tealight holder it only dawned on me afterwards that I'm not sure of the ethics of purchasing Himalayan salt products, i.e. does the mining(?) of this product damage the environment, are the miners given a fair wage for their work, etc...?

I found this article on e-bay regarding lamp quality, if you still think you're interested in purchasing one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Himalayan-Salt-Lamps-A-Guide-to-Purchasing-/10000000000725009/g.html.  I've struggled, during a fairly quick search, to find much information about the ethics of salt mining.

Just a few further points on allergies, I found some fairly reliable sounding sources indicating the following can perhaps help:-
~ Vitamin C has a natural antihistamine effect
~ Drinking peppermint tea apparently helps inflamed nasal passages
I'm afraid I failed to make a note of the websites where I found this information (as once I found the info I was looking for I didn't think I'd need it again), but what I do is cross-check with a number of other sites, including at least one or more that I trust and find reliable.

The following tips I have not yet managed to cross-check to find out if they're reliable:-
~ butterbur tablets
~ organic flax seed or hemp seed oil
~ organic Oregano Oil
~ make your own saline nasal spray - teaspoon of salt in pint of warm (distilled) water and add a pinch of baking soda
~ some sites seemed to indicate that taking Echinacea may improve the immune system and be beneficial for allergies, as well as just colds etc

Finally, if you don't already eat a fairly healthy diet, improving your diet will help improve your immune system which should in turn lessen the allergy symptoms somewhat.

 
That is a good bit of information and gives me some stuff to think about. Thank you! :)

Jenett

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Boston, MA
  • Posts: 3099
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 650
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Himalayan Salt Lamps
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 07:44:47 pm »
Quote from: Olivia;184865
It is just dust and airborn stuff in the house.


If you're not already running an air flter, I find that makes a *huge* difference in my allergies. (I run one in my bedroom, which is also where I do computer things, and thus where I spend the vast majority of my time.)

They range in the US from quite cheap to horribly expensive: I currently have a pricier one that doesn't have filters that need changing, but even the pretty inexpensive ones help a lot, they just need a bit more cleaning/filter changing.

Also anything that can reduce the allergen load in your bedding: I have a wool mattress pad (discourages dust mites!), and wash my bedding in very hot water when I wash it: both help with dustmites, and also other allergens. Medium hot or cool water saves energy, but doesn't remove nearly as many allergens.

Storing things in plastic boxes or something else that can be easily cleaned of dust also helps: cardboard tends to hold onto dust and make the allergen load a lot worse.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
826 Views
Last post January 26, 2013, 02:19:17 pm
by Juniper
1 Replies
386 Views
Last post December 14, 2018, 07:02:33 pm
by raya

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall