collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Carpet Cleaning Problem.  (Read 3521 times)

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Carpet Cleaning Problem.
« on: May 06, 2012, 02:19:41 pm »
I have two wonderful dogs who have, unfortunately, had numerous accidents on the carpet in the living and bedroom areas. I have cleaned them repeatedly and with as many possibly chemical combinations as you can think of. I've used various Resolve sprays and foams; I have a steam cleaner that I've used with the special cleaning chemicals as well as dish soap, vinegar, hot water only, etc. I've run the gamut on this and there are still old, dark stains that are all over my carpet. I've come to find that a mix of borax and baking soda, sprinkled over the area and left for an hour or so, has done wonders in soaking up the stains. The problem that's still around is the sticky-icky feeling.

I hate walking barefoot on carpeting, anyway, but it's that much worse with this sticky leftover feeling on the carpeting. I've gone to town with my steam cleaner and I really cannot afford to rent a professional shampoo machine (and have no way to get the carpeting dry, to be frank). Is there anyone who can point me in a, preferably thrifty, solution?

Also, I rent so taking the carpet out isn't an option. Although, let me tell you, I so would love to do that.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:21:25 pm by SatSekhem »
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Carpet Cleaning Problem.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:42:45 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;53261
I have two wonderful dogs who have, unfortunately, had numerous accidents on the carpet in the living and bedroom areas. I have cleaned them repeatedly and with as many possibly chemical combinations as you can think of. I've used various Resolve sprays and foams; I have a steam cleaner that I've used with the special cleaning chemicals as well as dish soap, vinegar, hot water only, etc. I've run the gamut on this and there are still old, dark stains that are all over my carpet. I've come to find that a mix of borax and baking soda, sprinkled over the area and left for an hour or so, has done wonders in soaking up the stains. The problem that's still around is the sticky-icky feeling.

I hate walking barefoot on carpeting, anyway, but it's that much worse with this sticky leftover feeling on the carpeting. I've gone to town with my steam cleaner and I really cannot afford to rent a professional shampoo machine (and have no way to get the carpeting dry, to be frank). Is there anyone who can point me in a, preferably thrifty, solution?

Also, I rent so taking the carpet out isn't an option. Although, let me tell you, I so would love to do that.

Thank you.

Have you asked anyone at a cleaning supply company about it?  Or maybe bring in a professional carpet cleaner?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:23:36 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;53262
Have you asked anyone at a cleaning supply company about it?  Or maybe bring in a professional carpet cleaner?

I can't afford a professional. The only one in the area is the Stanley Steemer company and they charge a good deal.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:15:45 pm »
Is there anyone who can point me in a, preferably thrifty, solution?

Thank you.

Take out the carpet. :)

I had three beagles at one time and they left marks. The three cats leave different kinds of marks but marks all the same. So I am prepared.

The chemical: Carpet Science. I have not been able to find it around here anymore. It came in a yellow bottle (though the packaging may have changed). It is hardcore shit. It took out 15 year old carpet stains in a car floor once. Spray and rub like hell with a cloth.

The steam cleaner additive: Oxy Clean (or like substance) added to a regular steam cleaner detergent will brighten the spots right up.

The only problem I had with both was that the spots were always brightly cleaned and the rest of the carpet then look dingy and I had to do the whole dang lot of it to match. Urgh.

I don't know of a natural remedy that works the way these do. I wish I could find Carpet Science again. That stuff took out some dyes. I may have to look for it online. I think it must be alien technology.

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 03:35:17 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;53337
Take out the carpet. :)

I had three beagles at one time and they left marks. The three cats leave different kinds of marks but marks all the same. So I am prepared.

The chemical: Carpet Science. I have not been able to find it around here anymore. It came in a yellow bottle (though the packaging may have changed). It is hardcore shit. It took out 15 year old carpet stains in a car floor once. Spray and rub like hell with a cloth.

The steam cleaner additive: Oxy Clean (or like substance) added to a regular steam cleaner detergent will brighten the spots right up.

The only problem I had with both was that the spots were always brightly cleaned and the rest of the carpet then look dingy and I had to do the whole dang lot of it to match. Urgh.

I don't know of a natural remedy that works the way these do. I wish I could find Carpet Science again. That stuff took out some dyes. I may have to look for it online. I think it must be alien technology.

Never heard of Carpet Science, but I'm gonna second Oxy Clean. It's what I use when my cats have been naughty. Look for the concentrated stuff that says it's specifically for pet stains. It goes right into your steam cleaner. Good luck, hon!  :)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 04:20:26 am »
Quote from: earth_dragon;53368
Never heard of Carpet Science, but I'm gonna second Oxy Clean. It's what I use when my cats have been naughty. Look for the concentrated stuff that says it's specifically for pet stains. It goes right into your steam cleaner. Good luck, hon!  :)

I am the third one voting for Oxy Clean.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:10:22 am »
Quote from: SatSekhem;53272
I can't afford a professional. The only one in the area is the Stanley Steemer company and they charge a good deal.

I rent a carpet cleaner at the local Kroger for 25 bucks a day. I can do my whole house in one day and it works really well. I buy the cleaner they sell with the carpet machine and add a dropper full of tea tree oil. No pet smells or sticky feeling. Cost about 40 bucks to do six rooms.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:11:20 am by Holdasown »

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »
Quote from: Ula;53390

A thought - if you are getting a sticky feeling, then it is very possible that not all the cleaning solution is coming out.  Steam cleaning several times with just water might help.

I had a dark (reds and blues oriental style) carpet a cat made smelly.  I found an enzyme cleaner that took out the smell but it was 'sticky' afterwards.  I don't own a steam cleaner, so I rented a rug doctor and used it first with their cleaner and then several times with just water.  It probably helps that this is an area rug on tile (but big - 13 x 9) so there is no pad.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 04:18:05 pm »
Quote from: Tana;53372
I am the third one voting for Oxy Clean.

I have the Oxy-stuff that goes with my specific steam cleaner, although I can't recall off the top of my head of it is related to Oxy Clean... I'll peek at my bottle (the next time I'm in that direction) and if it's not the same, I'll scour for Oxy Clean.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

Artim Sequoia

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Carpet Cleaning Problem.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »

Thank you.

At the hotel I managed we used "Unbelievable" to clean up various soils on carpet. It's supposed to be for professional use only but you can find it online.

I found this link for it: http://triusjanitorial.com/Unbelievable-Stain-Odor-32oz/UPSO-32-EA/783?sa=X&ei=Pp6pT8D3DuLm2gXChr2mAg&ved=0CH4QgwgwCA

I've used it at home when my dog would be ill and have digestive issues which is the only time she has accidents.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:12 pm »
Quote from: Artim Sequoia;53549
At the hotel I managed we used "Unbelievable" to clean up various soils on carpet. It's supposed to be for professional use only but you can find it online.

I found this link for it: http://triusjanitorial.com/Unbelievable-Stain-Odor-32oz/UPSO-32-EA/783?sa=X&ei=Pp6pT8D3DuLm2gXChr2mAg&ved=0CH4QgwgwCA

I've used it at home when my dog would be ill and have digestive issues which is the only time she has accidents.

And if we are going to get into professional cleaning products (which can be costly), there is also SD-20 and P.O.G.  Although you would need to suck them up with a steam cleaner and the fumes are overwhelming.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Tags: