Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: A question for UK members, what site(s) do you use for selling & buying?  (Read 10746 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
So as the title says it's mainly a question for fellow UK members, but feel free to pitch in if you're outside of the UK and know of any relevant sites.  And, this also contains a little bit of a rant!   :P

When you're having a clear out and, in my case, wanting to sell off some belongings which still have some good use left in them, what site(s) do you use for this?

I used to use Gumtree when we had stuff that was still useable but not worth selling (like the time we'd a 4 slice toaster on which 2 of the slots had ceased working, but which might've still been of some use to, say, a student).  But bizarrely, I used to get a load of timewasters who'd call and enquire but then never showed up to collect the stuff.

So for those sorts of things I used to resort to the old kerb-side give-away, and then any passing student could help themselves.  (But now with Covid-19, I don't know how keen people would be to collect stuff in that manner, and anyway I've now also got some stuff I want to make some of my money back on.)

I recently tried Facebook marketplace to sell a fishing/camp bed which was hardly ever used, but I was absolutely inundated with enquiries and it was almost a full time job to respond to people in the same order in which they'd contact me (so, fairly, in my mind) & there again I still got a load of timewasters who never got back to me, again.  So we're still stuck with a camp bed we've no room for, gathering dust...

Is it just that timewasters go with the territory?  Is there any point writing 'no timewasters' in my ad?!   ;D

Also, what do you recommend for payment options?  PayPalMe, or something else?

Thanks in advance   :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Dynes Hysbys

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Cunning Craft
Re: A question for UK members, what site(s) do you use for selling & buying?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 09:03:45 am »
So as the title says it's mainly a question for fellow UK members, but feel free to pitch in if you're outside of the UK and know of any relevant sites.  And, this also contains a little bit of a rant!   :P

Is it just that timewasters go with the territory?  Is there any point writing 'no timewasters' in my ad?!   ;D

Thanks in advance   :)

As a former admin of a freecycle site I fully get the rant! The world is full of time wasters and chancers now.

I've given up trying to sell stuff- I give it away on facebook (and close comments when it's gone. I don't feel compelled to respond to everyone who comments!) or dump at the end of the drive with a notice to help yourself.  People still like free stuff even in these Covid times

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 11:05:53 am »
As a former admin of a freecycle site I fully get the rant! The world is full of time wasters and chancers now.

I've given up trying to sell stuff- I give it away on facebook (and close comments when it's gone. I don't feel compelled to respond to everyone who comments!) or dump at the end of the drive with a notice to help yourself.  People still like free stuff even in these Covid times

Interestingly, I find I have a much harder time with people deciding not to get back with me on free stuff than if it's paid for.  I've been trying to get rid of a spare blender for weeks, but people just message about it and don't get back when I tell them, yes, it's available.  So I guess it'll have to wait until I have an opportunity to take it to the thrift store.   I've had this experience before with trying to give away vs. sell, but it seems so pointless to put an ad with price on something that isn't worth more than $5.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 01:40:40 pm »
Interestingly, I find I have a much harder time with people deciding not to get back with me on free stuff than if it's paid for.

Yeah, it's like people think that because it's a free item being given away, they don't need to have any common courtesy about it.  Plus the anonymity of the internet too I guess.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: