collapse

* Recent Posts

Well Met by Goraxes
[Yesterday at 11:47:48 pm]

Bardic Shield by entwife
[Yesterday at 07:22:18 pm]

Can a candle be relit while dreaming of a deceased parent? by rachel
[Yesterday at 06:54:44 pm]

Re: It's nice to have found somewhere to come and chat about Paganism! by Pendle Girl
[Yesterday at 06:40:42 pm]

Re: Too grounded? by Pendle Girl
[Yesterday at 06:33:39 pm]

Author Topic: Your own "Wheel of the Year" mythic interpretation  (Read 1964 times)

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your own "Wheel of the Year" mythic interpretation
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 04:32:00 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;136974
I'm not a theist, so gods don't really have a place in my beliefs.  Agriculture (as in cultivation and harvest) does have a big part in my life.  I food-garden pretty intensively in our short season.  That said, I don't base my ritual year around it.

Instead, my ritual year consists of four natural points:  First Frost, First Flake, First Flower, and First Fruit.  These are loosey-goosey, personal (based on my own observation, not the "actual first snowflake that falls on my land") and not evenly spaced.  Our climate basically consists of a long, wet autumn and spring, with a short, fairly mild winter and summer at either end.  I do my best to honor them with offerings to spirits-of-place and activities that reinforce my connection to these cycles, though.

Brina

That is super cool.

Its one of the issues I have with set ritual stuff based on cultural traditions based on cultures that lived a world away. The traditions themselves may be very useful, but the timing of them really has little to do with how things line up in my part of the world (which is not far from where you are really). It would be different if I lived in Nova Scotia as well......
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 01:54:42 am »
Quote from: Tanbrid;131397
Any concept of yearly cycles that aren't agricultural?

It's really hard to do that, with the Wiccan/Wiccan-influenced traditional Wheel of the Year at least, because half of the festival days are Celtic agricultural days. The other half are solar calendar points, which no less influenced agricultural cycles. Ancient polytheism was so strongly framed around an agrarian way of life, that it's hard not to be influenced by it. Especially since the Modernist approach that sits behind a lot of pagan revivalism is largely an interpretation of the agricultural or pastoral myths.

Not saying that it's impossible, as obviously a lot of people around here have found personal and varied ways of working around that when agriculture isn't part of their lives. And that's completely fine. I just personally like the old Frazerian myth cycle of the dying-and-rising god and the agricultural harvest. It's a different and unique myth, because it's completely an amalgam borne from Modernist study; but it still echoes some elements from ancient mythologies. I like weird blends like that; part of what attracts me to Neopaganism.

beith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:09 am »
Quote from: yewberry;136974
Instead, my ritual year consists of four natural points:  First Frost, First Flake, First Flower, and First Fruit.  These are loosey-goosey, personal (based on my own observation, not the "actual first snowflake that falls on my land") and not evenly spaced.  Our climate basically consists of a long, wet autumn and spring, with a short, fairly mild winter and summer at either end.

This is a very interesting concept.  In my climate, it definitely doesn't make sense to celebrate Imbolc as the beginning of spring in the Feb 1 time frame...I start feeling the change more in March.  That said, it's also hard to mark some sort of season shift when it can be 80 deg F and forest fires in March followed by a foot of snow every week in April (which I was thankful for...it put out the fires!...but it was frustrating because I'm not fan of snow).

I'll be keeping this concept in mind as I continue to work on my spiritual path, perhaps as the year goes on something will make sense for me.  Thank you for sharing this and planting this seed in my mind.

Ravyn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 09:10:55 pm »
Quote from: Tanbrid;131397
Does anyone have their own mythic or symbolic interpretation of the Wheel of the Year, or another cycle of holidays? I know a lot of people here have stated that the God being born/dying/rising again thing doesn't really click with them, so I wondered if anyone had some interesting alternatives.
Any concept of yearly cycles that aren't agricultural?

Mine is really not very different from the classic i guess - i love in upstate NY, USA so mostly the WotY is pretty fitting for me.  i don't know how many people do this, but the death of the God at Samhain and His birth at Yule means that the time between is a Void Time... that is the representation of The Dark Night Of The Soul...when the God is dead and The Goddess is lost in Her own grief (and fear?), pregnant and alone.... when He is gone and She has turned Her face from us, overwhelmed in Her grief.  (Not Everything Is About Us/Me/You)   It is when we are most on our own.  Not unloved, but on our own.  

It's not really unique, but those words have ...startled others when i talk about my wheel of the year. It's been valuable to me.

Tags: