collapse

Author Topic: What, if anything, are you doing for the solstice this weekend?  (Read 4993 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: What, if anything, are you doing for the solstice this weekend?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 05:55:15 am »
It’s still up at the Facebook page at https://m.facebook.com/englishheritage/ . I just watched it after the fact too.

Thank you! I have it open, and I think I'll try to time my watching to roughly coincide with sunrise here!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 05:56:09 am »
Thank you! I have it open, and I think I'll try to time my watching to roughly coincide with sunrise here!

Sunflower
It wasn’t a GOOD sunrise (mostly just cloudy), but it does have some nice shots of the stones!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 07:01:44 am »
I hope there is some kind of replay

I believe it'll likely be on YouTube too, since that's where I watched it :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 10:10:18 pm »
It's my favorite day of the year, and a bookend to our Up All Night celebration here at The Cauldron. I chose tomorrow (Sunday) for it, so that I'd have more time to prepare.

Speaking of that, do you want to coordinate a move forward on my suggestion of last December? I still own the upallnight.top domain, and you're either welcome to it or I can administer it for you. I'm not going to commit to doing it all without help, but if we can get some help from our resident artists, photographers, authors and editors we should be able to put together a small but respectable web site in a month or two....
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 01:36:56 am »
Speaking of that, do you want to coordinate a move forward on my suggestion of last December? I still own the upallnight.top domain, and you're either welcome to it or I can administer it for you. I'm not going to commit to doing it all without help, but if we can get some help from our resident artists, photographers, authors and editors we should be able to put together a small but respectable web site in a month or two....

Funny you should mention that, I'm planning to start a thread on just that topic very soon   :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2020, 05:52:22 pm »
As the tread title says: what, if anything, are you doing for the solstice today/tomorrow?

For this Summer Solstice, I was told by my deities to take the honey we recently received - which I offered to them two weeks prior and was blessed by them - and create honey liqueur. I also decided to make limoncello, because why not. The honey liqueur I would offer to the Gods at Summer Solstice, and then enjoy limoncello afterwards.

Before the ritual, I did my thing, finished making the liqueurs, and prepped myself (this was on Thursday or Friday). Let's fast forward to Saturday. I do my pre-ritual stuff, go prep, and then go to make libations. After doing the libations, I had a swig myself. "JFC, this is strong" I thought to myself. Didn't think anything of it, and continued with the ritual – did my reflection, read a bit, did a Tarot Card pulling, and finished it up. Then went about my evening like normal, when I decided to check on the liqueurs again.

I take out the jars when I realized I made a mistake: the simple syrup I had added to what I thought was lemon-infused grain alcohol was the honey liqueur… and the libations I had offered were actually the lemon-infused grain alcohol. So basically, I think I made the Gods really drunk. To fix the problem, I used Ashmire's suggestion (from discord): I combined the two and have a delicious batch of honey-limoncello.

Other than that, I had a great weekend!
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2020, 06:29:56 pm »
It wasn’t a GOOD sunrise (mostly just cloudy), but it does have some nice shots of the stones!

Indeed, on both counts. Rather than being disappointed, though, I chose to take it as an authentic experience of midsummer sunrise at Stonehenge - I suspect it's cloudy as often as not, or oftener. Also, I suspect it was not just cloudy but drizzling for at least some of the time; I was successfully able to imagine being drizzled on, and thus managed a satisfactory simulation of a you-are-there experience.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2020, 04:05:15 am »
Indeed, on both counts. Rather than being disappointed, though, I chose to take it as an authentic experience of midsummer sunrise at Stonehenge - I suspect it's cloudy as often as not, or oftener. Also, I suspect it was not just cloudy but drizzling for at least some of the time; I was successfully able to imagine being drizzled on, and thus managed a satisfactory simulation of a you-are-there experience.

Sunflower
That’s a lovely way to think about it! I really want to be there to see the sun coming up over the stones one day, but as you say, it’s probably cloudy more times than not. Love that you enjoy the idea of being drizzled on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2020, 07:32:04 am »
As the tread title says: what, if anything, are you doing for the solstice today/tomorrow?

We had a socially distanced circle, followed by a BBQ. It was VERY different, and the first many of us have visited anyone in a while.

I visited a local dolmen, the Legananny Dolmen named after Áine (Liagán Áine), the goddess associated with the sun, summer, and Midsummer, and the dolmen was roped off due to Coronavirus. I went to it anyway because I personally know the nearby farmer is miserable and chancing his arm. 
Semper Fidelis

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 12:10:50 pm »

We didn't have our usual midsummer small ritual group gathering but I tried to get contributions to the ritual from members (with no particular planning so it was all very last minute) and hacked together our regular major execration ritual.  (Children continue the best execrators: "Here is a symbol of our enemies! Stomp on it and throw it in the fire!" is something they can get really into.)

I baked burger buns for the summer grilling, and cake for Sunday's "you are no longer an elementary school kid!" celebration for Oldest.

I watched a livestream of the annular eclipse and then at the peak of eclipse went down and did some eclipse ritual with my weird eclipse-charged magical tool.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"