collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Celebrating (Yule?) when you don't follow the Wheel  (Read 1339 times)

Sunshine

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 37
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Celebrating (Yule?) when you don't follow the Wheel
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:01:55 pm »
Hi everyone,

just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people make of it. I've never been a Wheel-of-the-Year person, but having recently moved to a new city and wanting to network with local pagans and also my (largely Christian) local family, I'm feeling an urge to incorporate sun dates into my celebrations. Yule is the really big one for me, but I'd like to observe the autumnal equinox too as it's fast approaching.

Do those of you who don't follow the Wheel or traditions that typically observe these dates (Kemetic, eclectic, etc.) have any personal traditions, rituals, or meaning-making? How do you balance not following the Wheel within a pagan and a national community that places a lot of value on the end of December?

All thoughts welcomed, including those from Wheel-followers!

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating (Yule?) when you don't follow the Wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 01:34:30 pm »
Quote from: Sunshine;121249
Hi everyone,

just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people make of it. I've never been a Wheel-of-the-Year person, but having recently moved to a new city and wanting to network with local pagans and also my (largely Christian) local family, I'm feeling an urge to incorporate sun dates into my celebrations. Yule is the really big one for me, but I'd like to observe the autumnal equinox too as it's fast approaching.

Do those of you who don't follow the Wheel or traditions that typically observe these dates (Kemetic, eclectic, etc.) have any personal traditions, rituals, or meaning-making? How do you balance not following the Wheel within a pagan and a national community that places a lot of value on the end of December?

All thoughts welcomed, including those from Wheel-followers!

 
I do not follow the Wheel; being Kemetic and a FlameKeeper (among other things) means that the Wheel is just not relevant to me.  However, I do find ways to celebrate in December that have meaning for me.  I blogged about it here, if you're interested in taking a look.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Juni

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 1683
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
    • http://thelittleseawitch.net
Re: Celebrating (Yule?) when you don't follow the Wheel
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:41:17 pm »
Quote from: Sunshine;121249
Do those of you who don't follow the Wheel or traditions that typically observe these dates (Kemetic, eclectic, etc.) have any personal traditions, rituals, or meaning-making? How do you balance not following the Wheel within a pagan and a national community that places a lot of value on the end of December?

 
I don't follow the Wheel either. As a Celt, I do celebrate Imbolc, Bealtaine, Lughnasadh, and Samhain, but not in a Wiccan context. As for the equinoxes and solstices, I work with the Horae; while they weren't honored on those days historically, it makes sense for me, so I'm trying to hash something out. It's a thing in progress, at the moment.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
MistSeeking - religious blog

Sunshine

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 37
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating (Yule?) when you don't follow the Wheel
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:01:20 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;121253
I do not follow the Wheel; being Kemetic and a FlameKeeper (among other things) means that the Wheel is just not relevant to me.  However, I do find ways to celebrate in December that have meaning for me.  I blogged about it here, if you're interested in taking a look.

 
Christmas as an akhu festival is a neat way of looking at it - honoring the date as an important one to family is definitely relevant to my path. Thanks for sharing the entry - it's nice to know I'm not the only one jealous of people with more socially-aligned dates!

Sunshine

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Aug 2013
  • Posts: 37
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating (Yule?) when you don't follow the Wheel
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 02:04:33 pm »
Quote from: Juni;121255
I don't follow the Wheel either. As a Celt, I do celebrate Imbolc, Bealtaine, Lughnasadh, and Samhain, but not in a Wiccan context. As for the equinoxes and solstices, I work with the Horae; while they weren't honored on those days historically, it makes sense for me, so I'm trying to hash something out. It's a thing in progress, at the moment.

 
I would love to hear more about your hashing out with the Horae if you care to share as you go along! I've started to think adapting certain meaningful myths and celebrations to the sun dates would be a good idea for my personal practice, even as the more recon-oriented part of me shudders, so it's good to hear of other people with similar projects.

drekfletch

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New England. On Winnipesaukee, to be more specific
  • Posts: 317
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
Re: Celebrating (Yule?) when you don't follow the Wheel
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:50:28 am »
Quote from: Sunshine;121249

Do those of you who don't follow the Wheel or traditions that typically observe these dates (Kemetic, eclectic, etc.) have any personal traditions, rituals, or meaning-making? How do you balance not following the Wheel within a pagan and a national community that places a lot of value on the end of December?

 
I work religious aspects into NewYears.  My town hosts FirstNight celebrations, so it's a fairly big holiday for the community.  Most mid-winter imagery doesn't work for my area.  The equinoxes and solstices generally herald the beginning of a season, not it's middle.  Nov/Dec are sort of their own season; cold, crisp and grey.  There's usually snow, but it doesn't really feel like winter until after the holidays.  Then we have 3-4 months of winter.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10221
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 272
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Celebrating (Yule?) when you don't follow the Wheel
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:19:09 pm »
Quote from: Sunshine;121249
Do those of you who don't follow the Wheel or traditions that typically observe these dates (Kemetic, eclectic, etc.) have any personal traditions, rituals, or meaning-making? How do you balance not following the Wheel within a pagan and a national community that places a lot of value on the end of December?

Hellenic Paganism really doesn't have any winter holidays like Christmas or Yule, but that doesn't stop me from making a big deal out of Christmas (but as secular "family" and culture holiday). Nothing really religious to it, however, as it just doesn't fit.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
31 Replies
3980 Views
Last post September 24, 2011, 10:08:10 am
by mandrina
15 Replies
6183 Views
Last post December 25, 2011, 11:17:57 am
by PhantomQueen
45 Replies
9706 Views
Last post November 02, 2014, 06:53:22 am
by Jack
8 Replies
1308 Views
Last post February 12, 2012, 11:21:45 am
by Inca
15 Replies
2434 Views
Last post November 18, 2012, 01:16:34 pm
by Jezebel

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall