Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2013  (Read 10950 times)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2013
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2013, 12:21:42 pm »
Quote from: Juni;133617
I didn't make it through the night- nodded off while watching a movie. And I woke up to lovely 73 degree weather, in December. :mad: I really need to move north.

Congrats to everyone who saw the night through!

You must be down-slope from me. It's *only* going to be 65 here in the western part of NC. Decidedly not winter solstice weather.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2013, 12:33:20 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;133619
You must be down-slope from me. It's *only* going to be 65 here in the western part of NC. Decidedly not winter solstice weather.

I'll trade ya. I can offer you very depths-of-winter-y -19C/0F temperatures and a picturesque blanket of deep snow.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2013, 12:35:58 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;133620
I'll trade ya. I can offer you very depths-of-winter-y -19C/0F temperatures and a picturesque blanket of deep snow.

Sunflower

You're so generous, but I'm afraid that I must decline.  I'm allergic to deep blankets of snow. They make me itch (to be somewhere tropical).

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2013, 12:41:32 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;133620

Sunflower

Deal!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2013, 12:42:10 pm »
Quote from: Juni;133623
Deal!

...as in, that's a deal, not deal with it. (I am unsure of my clarity this morning afternoon...)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2013, 01:30:21 pm »
Quote from: Juni;133624
...as in, that's a deal, not deal with it. (I am unsure of my clarity this morning afternoon...)

No, it was quite clear:)! My first thought was, 'Oh, shit, how am I going to ship it?!?'

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;133633
No, it was quite clear:)! My first thought was, 'Oh, shit, how am I going to ship it?!?'

Sunflower

Knowing the post offices in our respective countries, that might get a little tricky! :)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2013, 01:58:01 pm »
Quote from: Altair;133172

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! (Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!)

I'm about to put myself down for my second nap (I sound like a toddler), but before I do that, now that pretty much everyone's locale has had a chance to experience the after-solstice dawn, I wanted to say how much fun I have doing this every year. Special thank-you to Randall, whose gracious offer of space for our cyber gathering is no less wonderful for it coming without fail each year. Without the Cauldron, this wouldn't have happened.

And more importantly, without you Cauldronites, this wouldn't have happened! So thank YOU, everyone out there who joined in, whether in the thread or in chat (did we break the record? I really have to master that someday), whether for just a few moments or from dusk until dawn, whether in northern hemisphere's winter solstice cold (HA! not in NYC, not this year) or southern hemisphere's summer solstice heat. We had participation spread from New Zealand to Australia, up through Germany, Finland, Scotland and England, and across North America. (Did I forget anyone? I hope not.) Pretty awesome, if you ask me.

Inspired by Emerald's "Hail to the North from the South," I thought I'd add a new touch this year:

A WINTER SOLSTICE ADDENDUM

The sun has raised its shining head
Get your sorry ass to bed!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2013, 02:10:17 pm »
Quote from: Altair;133638
So thank YOU, everyone out there who joined in, whether in the thread or in chat (did we break the record? I really have to master that someday)

We did! The new record is 18 (it's been at 16 all year, since that record was set last UAN).

And I would be happy to coach you, within my own knowledge-limits of course.

I can't yet; I have an errand to run. But I am looking forward to my pillow later!

Sunflower

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »

haha!

I slept from about 8am to a little past 12pm. Now I've been sitting around doing nothing and feeling fuzzy, but satisfied. I should get going and venture out here... and I still need to wrap presents today!

Thanks, to TC and everyone! :)
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2013, 02:26:42 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;133639

Ended up passing out at around 4:30 am with my partner, and woke up at around 12:30 pm. Wasn't planned, but I was just too tired to keep going. Ironically (I guess?) it fits in with my personal "changes" theme, so there will be a lot of changes around here, as apparently we may be moving out this summer together. Into a house! A real house! I need an adult ahhh I am an adult

Happy Winter Solstice everyone! And congrats to those who made it through the night. :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:27:31 pm by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2013, 02:46:32 pm »

We had participation spread from New Zealand to Australia, up through Germany, Finland,...

AAAGH! My brain said "Norway" and my fingers typed "Finland"; because, y'know, all those countries on the Scandinavian peninsula are interchangeable, right? Apologies, Stardancer.

Brain is sludge. Must. Get. Sleep.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2013, 04:37:21 pm »
Quote from: Wanderer894;133568
Whoo-hoo, made it! It's overcast here, so no nice warm sunlight, but hot damn, I made it!

Off to bed now. Happy Solstice to all!

I couldn't stay up because we had a stupid-early flight, but my seat was on the east side of the plane so I can assure everyone in New England and the Midatlantic states that the sun did, in fact, come back again in Eastern Time. ;) And it was the first sunrise I've seen since I quit the night shift, which seems appropriately timed.

Happy Solstice!
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2013, 04:47:06 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;133658
I couldn't stay up because we had a stupid-early flight, but my seat was on the east side of the plane so I can assure everyone in New England and the Midatlantic states that the sun did, in fact, come back again in Eastern Time. ;) And it was the first sunrise I've seen since I quit the night shift, which seems appropriately timed.

Happy Solstice!

I'm really glad to see all these posts saying the sun came back, because for all I know the earth has been stolen and there's an artificial light source behind the gray overcast skies. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2013, 05:23:58 pm »
Quote from: Morag;133660
I'm really glad to see all these posts saying the sun came back, because for all I know the earth has been stolen and there's an artificial light source behind the gray overcast skies. ;)

Well, I don't know if I can speak for the Pacific Northwest. My dad lives in Portland and assures me that what I call the sun is just a "funny yellow cloud."
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Tags: