collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2019  (Read 21738 times)

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2019
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2019, 10:10:09 am »
So for her first UAN, Oldest made it to two and a half hours short of dawn, with an accidental nap in the middle.

Delighted for Oldest!

I gave up around 3:15, and fell over in bed. This turned out to be a good choice, because I got woken up at about 9:45 with people doing things involving large banging noises outside my bedroom window.

(My landlord is having the patio that is my usual route to my apartment reconstructed. The banging seems to have been to free a wheelbarrow from durance vile, and has stopped now.)

On the other hand, I now have an aggressively cuddly cat, so there are rewards for consciousness.

Happy solstice, everyone! Thank you for seeing the sun up, those who did!
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2019, 10:14:28 am »

With just under half an hour until sunrise in Calgary, it is gloaming. (How often d'you get to use that word in conversation?!?)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2019, 10:41:28 am »

And the clock says the sun is up in Calgary!. Alas, cloud cover means all I see is gradually increasing nondirectional light.

Nevertheless, the light has returned!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2019, 10:49:32 am »
Nevertheless, the light has returned!

Here's a cool animation of that march of darkness across the globe that we watched last night, and the light that finally came after. (It also shows its opposite that will occur with the June solstice.)

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2019, 11:01:21 am »
Here's a cool animation of that march of darkness across the globe that we watched last night, and the light that finally came after. (It also shows its opposite that will occur with the June solstice.)

hey now, still watching over here. Another 6 minutes before the light comes back in Vancouver. ;)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2019, 11:25:26 am »
hey now, still watching over here. Another 6 minutes before the light comes back in Vancouver. ;)

and the sun, she is back, and Morag, zie is sleepy.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Bonus picture of Morag:

i stumble bedwards now
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2019, 11:56:59 am »
and the sun, she is back, and Morag, zie is sleepy.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Bonus picture of Morag:

i stumble bedwards now

LOVE the pics, Morag! Congrats on making it to dawn, and go rest.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2019, 04:04:48 pm »
I'll post mine after I've had some sleep!

As promised, Uncle Chris's Eggnog recipe--

10 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 quart milk
2 pints heavy cream
8 egg whites
6 Tbs sugar
3-1/2 Tbs vanilla extract
nutmeg (a ton of it) to taste

Beat the cup of sugar and the salt into the yolks; gradually beat in the milk and heavy cream. Cook over a medium high heat, constantly stirring, just until the mixture starts to steam and the consistency becomes silky smooth; DO NOT overcook, or your eggnog will be thicker than sludge. Cool the mixture (at least to room temperature, or refrigerate until later).

In a bowl, use a beater to combine the egg whites and the remaining sugar, whipping to soft peaks. Fold the whites into the cooled mixture and add the vanilla and nutmeg. Chill and serve straight or spiked with liquor (in my family, it's rum)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2019, 04:09:45 pm »
go rest.

Which are actually words for all of us, at this point! Now that the sun has returned after the solstice the world over.

Thanks to everyone who joined in, whether for a moment or the long haul, whether in the forums, chat (I think that's still going strong), or the meditation session! It really is a joy to see our community come together each year, and it makes staying awake during the long journey through the dark so much easier! Special thanks to Aisling, who launched the fun "So Do I!" thread that can live on long past the solstice.

But most of all, thanks to our host, Sunflower, and our emeritus founders, Randall and Lyric, for giving us a home, not just for Up All Night on the December solstice, but all year long.

We launched with a traditional rhyme, and custom dictates we close with a supplementary couplet:

A SOLSTICE ADDENDUM

The sun has raised its shining head
Get your sorry ass to bed!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:11:48 pm by Altair »

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2019, 04:30:56 pm »
Special thanks to Aisling, who launched the fun "So Do I!" thread that can live on long past the solstice.
Happy to contribute!  Next year, I'm going to try to stay awake past midnight for a change.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2019, 12:33:12 pm »

The sun has raised its shining head
Get your sorry ass to bed!

Of course I was working (Nutcracker) and missed this entire thread. But I wanted to share this with people who might understand at least part of it:

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2019, 11:58:22 pm »
As promised, Uncle Chris's Eggnog recipe--

10 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 quart milk
2 pints heavy cream
8 egg whites
6 Tbs sugar
3-1/2 Tbs vanilla extract
nutmeg (a ton of it) to taste

Beat the cup of sugar and the salt into the yolks; gradually beat in the milk and heavy cream. Cook over a medium high heat, constantly stirring, just until the mixture starts to steam and the consistency becomes silky smooth; DO NOT overcook, or your eggnog will be thicker than sludge. Cool the mixture (at least to room temperature, or refrigerate until later).

In a bowl, use a beater to combine the egg whites and the remaining sugar, whipping to soft peaks. Fold the whites into the cooled mixture and add the vanilla and nutmeg. Chill and serve straight or spiked with liquor (in my family, it's rum)

This looks more like the recipes I ran across online, what with separating the eggs whites and whipping them before adding to the nog. Should probably try adding the vanilla next time I make some, especially if I don't add Captain Morgan to the batch.

Yeah, just popping in to check in. I've been trying to be gentle with myself since I ate a lot of rich food at odd hours this solstice (and the nog). It worked until tonight when I spend Christmas Eve with my family. So much fish, but so worth it. Thankfully tomorrow we're keeping it a bit more simple.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Tags: