collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 29 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Tigereye by PerditaPickle
[Today at 07:56:54 am]

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 06:16:03 am]

Re: Recently Blogged by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 06:21:02 pm]

Re: What are you playing right now? by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 12:24:36 pm]

Re: Introduction by sevensons
[Yesterday at 09:50:42 am]

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2019  (Read 12660 times)

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Dionysian pop culture paganism and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2019
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 02:17:38 pm »
4:20 pm / 7:55 am   Seattle, WA

Hee hee.

I will make sure to head to karaoke early so I can be settled in and ready to divine when the sun goes down!
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2019, 02:19:38 pm »
a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat

and also...

***ALERT! The GREAT GLOBAL GROUP MEDITATION is TONIGHT!***

Ever imagine what it would be like to have a bunch of people from across the globe all meditating together at the same time? It happens tonight!

Now in its third year as a part of “Up All Night,” the Great Global Group Meditation is a nondenominational session where for about 30 minutes we “gather” from around the world, using the miracle of modern technology, to change our focus and to shift our consciousness. This year’s session will be led by Shashirekha, with whom I’ve had personal experience as she’s guided meditations. She’s awesome!

WHEN:
--6 PM Pacific and 9 PM Eastern in North America
--2 AM Greenwich Mean and 3 AM Central in Europe
--Noon [on Dec. 22] Australian Eastern
It will last about 30-40 minutes.

WHERE:
Wherever you are! As long as you have computer access or a smart phone

HOW:
via a Zoom videoconference. It's free! And there's an audio-only option too, for those who want to preserve a degree of anonymity or (if in a state of undress or sleep-deprived dishevelment) dignity. Download the Zoom app onto your phone (click here for more about Zoom) or, if necessary, onto your laptop (though just your browser should be enough)…and get ready to medi!

WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO:
Just before start time, I’ll post in this thread the link, meeting ID, and password, which you can use to join the videoconference. If for some reason that doesn’t work, just PM me immediately with your email address, and I can send you an invitation to the Zoom meeting that should whisk you right in. (Your email will be used *only* for this purpose and will be kept strictly confidential).

AND THEN:
--We’ll have a brief round of introductions, where everyone will take turns sharing ONLY their name (whatever name you want: real name, Cauldron handle, or something you’ve just made up), where in the world they are, and a ONE WORD description of how their solstice is going or how they hope it will go. (WARNING: Don’t jabber! We are time-limited and want the maximum amount of minutes to meditate, so those who bloviate will be muted!)
--Then MUTE yourself in the Zoom meeting, so that the group doesn’t get any unwanted ambient sound distractions
--I’ll introduce Shashirekha, and she’ll take it from there

In keeping with “Connections,” the non-theme for this year’s UAN, are you ready to bridge vast distances between people through the power of meditation on the night of the solstice? Then join us for the Great Global Group Meditation!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:24:28 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2019, 04:21:25 pm »

The sun has just set here (a hair north and west of Boston proper), and I am about to go do things in my apartment not involving my computer (getting some mulled wine started, doing some divination and generally getting settled in for the evening.

Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch
    • View Profile
    • Everyday Magic
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: zie/zir or she/her
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 04:35:06 pm »
The sun has just set here (a hair north and west of Boston proper), and I am about to go do things in my apartment not involving my computer (getting some mulled wine started, doing some divination and generally getting settled in for the evening.

The sun hasn't set here but I am up earlier than I hoped thanks to noisy people upstairs, so I've started my Lord of the Rings rewatch early, with Fellowship. Time to brew some coffee and try to wake up a bit. I don't think I got enough sleep.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Everyday Magic
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2019, 04:37:08 pm »
4:31 pm / 7:16 am   New York, NY

New York falls to darkness! My all-night black candle is lit, and the ceremonial kickoff music has been blasted. For the next some-odd hours, let the solstice revels reign!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 04:39:48 pm »
I don't think I got enough sleep.

I'm so with you on this, Morag. I'd planned to get in a healthy nap to make the all-night slog easier, and only managed to get about an hour. I will pay for this around 4 AM. Big time.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 04:51:56 pm »

Up a bit north of Jenett the light has gone to dark blue and the snow is luminous and shadowed, which is a glorious effect.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 04:54:44 pm »
Up a bit north of Jenett the light has gone to dark blue and the snow is luminous and shadowed, which is a glorious effect.

I'd love some snow here, but we're unlikely to see any before February.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 05:26:58 pm »
I'd love some snow here, but we're unlikely to see any before February.

We're too warm here for any solstice snow- it's 50F right now. 

It is officially sunset here in western North Carolina, although it's so dreary and grey right now that you'd never know the difference. I"m running low on spoons today, but I'm going to stay up as long as I can tonight (with an early alarm to welcome the sun). 
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druidry-leaning learner
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 05:32:27 pm »
I'm going to stay up as long as I can tonight (with an early alarm to welcome the sun).

I've tried two years running to have an early alarm to welcome the sun, but haven't been able to manage it - can't decide whether to try it in the morning or not this year.  I do quite like being able to log onto Discord in the morning, though, to lend encouragement to those of you elsewhere in the world who are still keeping your vigils.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 05:40:31 pm »

Photo?

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Pagan and Christian heretic. Anglican, Druid, Gaelic-ish polytheist, some other influences
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 05:42:06 pm »
I've tried two years running to have an early alarm to welcome the sun, but haven't been able to manage it - can't decide whether to try it in the morning or not this year.  I do quite like being able to log onto Discord in the morning, though, to lend encouragement to those of you elsewhere in the world who are still keeping your vigils.

Since I won’t make it all night, I’ll be aiming to get up to see the sunrise. That’s not too hard in the UK though - sunrise is about 8am here tomorrow. Good idea, re logging into chat in the morning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 05:42:43 pm »

In the last hours of a vigil, some encouragement is most welcome.

I had a dentist appointment earlier (verdict: teeth are in great shape!) and then had a quick, light lunch before napping. I slept through sunset here in New England, but hopefully that means I'll manage to stay awake until sunrise.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 05:46:11 pm »
Photo?

I'm afraid it's gone dark since. :}
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 06:12:24 pm »
New York falls to darkness! My all-night black candle is lit, and the ceremonial kickoff music has been blasted. For the next some-odd hours, let the solstice revels reign!

Currently blasting a dance mix (right now: The Stones' "Shattered" followed immediately by the Talking Heads' "Wild Wild Life" seamlessly flowing into Laura Branigan belting "Gloria"...OK, it's a late Boomer's mix!)

The (relatively new--just shy of 6 months) boyfriend arrives in a half hour...and I have mixed feelings about that. The ex always treated my solstice revels with mild disdain, so to have someone--a Mahabharata-loving atheist--enthusiastically want to be a part of my annual long night is pretty cool. On the other hand, I'm used to doing whatever I want whenever I want on the solstice, and now I'll have to negotiate mutually agreeable activities. (He won't last all night, though.)

So we shall see. (Now: Gloria Gaynor, "I Will Survive")

Tonight, I just wanna fucking dance!

Tags: