Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2019  (Read 21360 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2019
« on: December 20, 2019, 11:03:10 pm »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Saturday, December 21, 2019, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
 A bitter chill is in the air
 The sun departs, and with it goes
 A fruitful season free of woes
 As winter’s icy grip takes hold
 The sleeping landscape to enfold
 Many hours of dark must pass
 Before the sun returns at last
 To make its long-awaited climb
 With promise of a flowering time
 Until that hour, let dark prevail
 Greet longest night with strong wassail
 Sing and dance, feast and drink
 Or solemnly reflect and think
 From strange and hidden wells partake
 With one rule only: Stay awake!
 From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
 Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 11:14:45 pm »
Hey, what is this thread?

If you're seeing this on Friday night, don't panic! I'm opening up the thread now for any Cauldronites who live in the farthest eastern part of the globe--Australia, New Zealand, east Asia--where it's already Saturday, December 21, heading towards sunset.

Since this year's non-theme is "Connections", I want to make sure they're able to connect!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 11:16:16 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:16:12 pm »
So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place!

It's not quite the date here yet, but...

For those of you interested in individual divinations for the year ahead, while I doubt I'll be able to stay up all night myself, I'll be available well into the night tomorrow on Discord to read your fortune either by Tarot or by Story Dice. As it happens, I will likely be at my favored gay karaoke joint, so I will have extra power on my side.

I'd also like to do a general reading for the year to come that I post here--tomorrow, of course.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 08:47:31 am »
To celebrate the solstice

Some helpful stats:

The moment of solstice* is simultaneous for everyone and will occur tonight in the wee hours before dawn in Europe…
4:19 AM Greenwich Mean Time on Sunday, December 22

…in the afternoon in Australia & New Zealand…
3:19 PM Australian Eastern Daylight Time on Sunday, December 22

…just after midnight in South America…
1:19 AM Argentina Standard Time on Sunday, December 22

…just before midnight in eastern North America…
11:19 PM Eastern Standard Time on Saturday, December 21

…and in TV-viewing “prime time” for western North America
9:19 PM Pacific Standard Time on Saturday, December 21

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 08:48:45 am »
The moment of solstice*

*The solstices (longest day/shortest night or shortest day/longest night), the equinoxes, (equal day and night), and the seasons that come with them are the result of the earth’s tilted axis. As the Earth does its yearly lap around the sun, that tilt means that a different half of the globe faces more directly towards the sun at different times of the year. The December solstice (summer solstice in the southern hemisphere, winter solstice in the northern hemisphere) occurs when the earth reaches the spot in its orbit where the south pole points most directly towards the sun.

https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/seasons/en/

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 09:11:05 am »
It's not quite the date here yet, but...

For those of you interested in individual divinations for the year ahead, while I doubt I'll be able to stay up all night myself, I'll be available well into the night tomorrow on Discord to read your fortune either by Tarot or by Story Dice. As it happens, I will likely be at my favored gay karaoke joint, so I will have extra power on my side.

I'd also like to do a general reading for the year to come that I post here--tomorrow, of course.

I can offer a few goes at divination tonight, too - it’s been FAR too long since I got my Ogham set out, and I also do a bit of Druid Craft tarot, so send questions my way in the Discord if you’d like. Hoping I’ll make it till 1 or 2am GMT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 10:24:52 am »
The night beginning at sunset on Saturday, December 21, 2019

Something else to look up and take notice of tonight, particularly if you live in an area relatively free of urban light pollution:

Ursid meteors peak around the solstice

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 10:39:56 am »
Something else to look up and take notice of tonight, particularly if you live in an area relatively free of urban light pollution:

Ursid meteors peak around the solstice

It's supposed to start clearing up tonight (partially cloudy today) so hopefully I'll be able to duck outside for a bit and enjoy the show.

I intend to stay up all night, so I'll be popping in and out of Discord to do other things (reading, writing, watch a movie). I got the first season of Elementary from the library yesterday so will be watching some of that as well.  If I can, I'll head out to take pictures and do a short run under the rising sun.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 11:10:43 am »

The sun has set here in London! Offerings to the Good Folk have been made, and later spouse is taking me out for Solstice barbecue. For now I have fic writing to do, which seems nicely introspective. I’m just going to see how late I manage. (Have to go to some relatives’ house for a pre-holiday lunch tomorrow, so definitely not all night.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 11:13:55 am »
The moment of solstice* is simultaneous for everyone

...but sunset and sunrise times will vary depending on your location. Below are the hours (sunset / sunrise) for several locations where Cauldronites reside (all times are local):

3:11 pm / 9:18 am   Oslo, Norway
4:24 pm / 8:35 am   Essen, Germany
4:01 pm / 8:06 am   Southampton, UK
3:53 pm / 8:04 am   London, UK
4:31 pm / 7:16 am   New York, NY
4:57 pm / 7:44 am   Youngstown, OH
4:31 pm / 8:37 am   Calgary, AB
5:26 pm / 7:12 am   Houston, TX
4:16 pm / 8:05 am   Vancouver, BC
4:20 pm / 7:55 am   Seattle, WA

You can look up your own sunset/sunrise times here at timeanddate.com.

And as the darkness settles on your location, please do post here to let us know! Part of the fun of our cybercelebration is how technology allows us to expand the solstice, which is always a local experience, to include a more global sense of the night, by vicariously experiencing through others

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 11:14:50 am »
The sun has set here in London! Offerings to the Good Folk have been made, and later spouse is taking me out for Solstice barbecue. For now I have fic writing to do, which seems nicely introspective. I’m just going to see how late I manage. (Have to go to some relatives’ house for a pre-holiday lunch tomorrow, so definitely not all night.)

You beat me to it!  I  was about to post that I think the sun's set here (there's heavy cloud cover here, but it's that time).

I'm going to be napping soon so I can stay up late tonight on here and on Discord (not necessarily all night).

Catch you later!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 11:17:18 am »

Our first report, from England! Thanks, Sophia--we can watch the darkness march across the globe now...

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 11:20:27 am »
You beat me to it!  I  was about to post that I think the sun's set here (there's heavy cloud cover here, but it's that time).

I'm going to be napping soon so I can stay up late tonight on here and on Discord (not necessarily all night).

Catch you later!

Thanks, PP! We'll see if anyone else from Europe chimes in with a tale of the descending dark...otherwise we may have to wait until it has marched across The Atlantic before our next report...

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 11:30:27 am »

Pretty well fully dark here in the South of England now, I  sat and watched it descend (though it had, as mentioned, been gloomy this afternoon to start with).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 01:38:18 pm »
Pretty well fully dark here in the South of England now, I  sat and watched it descend (though it had, as mentioned, been gloomy this afternoon to start with).

I was at work until after nightfall, so I missed that, but now I'm at home, the candles are lit, and it's almost dinnertime.

I checked the Discord on my phone on the way home, but nothing was going on yet.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Tags: