Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2018  (Read 19832 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2018
« on: December 20, 2018, 11:57:57 pm »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Friday, December 21, 2018, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
 A bitter chill is in the air
 The sun departs, and with it goes
 A fruitful season free of woes
 As winter’s icy grip takes hold
 The sleeping landscape to enfold
 Many hours of dark must pass
 Before the sun returns at last
 To make its long-awaited climb
 With promise of a flowering time
 Until that hour, let dark prevail
 Greet longest night with strong wassail
 Sing and dance, feast and drink
 Or solemnly reflect and think
 From strange and hidden wells partake
 With one rule only: Stay awake!
 From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
 Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:02:29 am »
The night beginning at sunset on Friday, December 21, 2018...

So if you're in Europe, Africa, or the Americas and are reading this on the night that began at sunset on Thursday...don't panic! No, you haven't missed the start of Up All Night; but the thread is open now, so that those in the far eastern rim of the world (I'm looking at you, Australia!), whose night of Friday, December 21, is starting soon, are able to post.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 07:38:40 am »
Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

It's still morning here in Argentina (9:36 am) but since you want to know what you're missing... it's a cold rainy day. Yay solstice! I hope the weather changes later, or the clouds will make the summer solstice a kind of dark day. I'll post more on the weather later.

Happy solstice to all!
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 08:00:30 am »
It's still morning here in Argentina (9:36 am) but since you want to know what you're missing... it's a cold rainy day. Yay solstice! I hope the weather changes later, or the clouds will make the summer solstice a kind of dark day. I'll post more on the weather later.

Happy solstice to all!

OK, Angie--define "cold". I'm guessing it can't be less than 20 degrees C (about 68 degrees F) down there.

Anyway, here's hoping your day clears up and you get to see some solstice sun!

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 08:18:35 am »
OK, Angie--define "cold". I'm guessing it can't be less than 20 degrees C (about 68 degrees F) down there.

Yes, right now it's 19.6 degrees C, but today it was 14 degrees C. It won't prevent it to escalate to 39 degrees C if the gods of weather want to, though. We are used to big thermal amplitudes (does that make any sense in English? I'm not sure how to say it.)

Anyway, here's hoping your day clears up and you get to see some solstice sun!

Thanks!

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 08:30:47 am »
From dusk till dawn

Hear are sunset and sunrise times for some known Cauldronite locations:

Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
3:40 PM GMT
8:43 AM GMT

Buenos Aires, Argentina
8:06 PM GMT-3
5:38 AM GMT-3

Boston, MA, USA
4:15 PM EST
7:11 AM EST

New York, NY, USA
4:32 PM EST
7:17 AM EST

Calgary, AB, Canada
4:32 PM MST
8:38 AM MST

Seattle, WA, USA
4:20 PM PST
7:55 AM PST

San Diego, CA, USA
4:47 PM PST
6:47 AM PST

This year, these are compiled from typing the city name + "sunset sunrise" into Google. Look up yours!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 08:35:40 am by Altair »

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:33:43 am »
Yes, right now it's 19.6 degrees C, but today it was 14 degrees C. It won't prevent it to escalate to 39 degrees C if the gods of weather want to, though. We are used to big thermal amplitudes (does that make any sense in English? I'm not sure how to say it.)

Close enough to be clearly understood. (I'd probably phrase "thermal amplitudes" as "temperature swings".)

Post photos of street scenes happening right now in Buenos Aires! We want to know what we're missing.

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 09:06:15 am »
Post photos of street scenes happening right now in Buenos Aires! We want to know what we're missing.

I couldn't find pictures of Buenos Aires, and I couldn't find how to post a picture, so let me try with Tumblr. This is a photo of Mar del Plata.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/0dce489ae64d2c3eb1c167a1a33ce6e4/tumblr_pk3awwvRjb1y39xabo1_1280.jpg

And this one is from my door, now that the sun has come out.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ceccc3fb4eef66b3ade69cb4bed736bc/tumblr_pk3bdnajAG1y39xabo1_1280.jpg
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:11:37 am by IceAngie »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:15:07 am »
So I'm popping in here early, to say that I'll be late ;D. (I haven't gone to sleep yet, so I won't be awake yet at sunset, much less online.)

Calgary, AB, Canada
4:32 PM MST
8:38 AM MST
<snip>
This year, these are compiled from typing the city name + "sunset sunrise" into Google. Look up yours!

Huh. Timeanddate.com says 4:31 PM and 8:37 AM. So does sunrisesunset.com. (I can't check USNO's astro-apps data services because Apple evidently thinks the US DoD is an untrusted issuer of certificates ::).)

For those who do want to plug those search terms into a web search engine but don't want to use Google, I recommend DuckDuckGo.

See yous later this evening!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 11:47:19 am »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Friday, December 21, 2018, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

by Altair

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]

I've just been let out of work a little early so on the way home - the sun has set here a little while ago and it's just getting fully dark.

I still won't be home for another hour or so, at which time I can start posting full length posts, and log onto Discord (well, after I've fed my husband, and eaten something myself).

Looking forward to it!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 11:51:53 am »

I've just been let out of work a little early so on the way home - the sun has set here a little while ago and it's just getting fully dark.

Pickle for the win, first to report in with the fall to darkness! In the United Kingdom--though I forget exactly where.

Thanks for whetting our appetite for what is yet to come in the Americas!

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 11:53:35 am »
I couldn't find pictures of Buenos Aires, and I couldn't find how to post a picture, so let me try with Tumblr. This is a photo of Mar del Plata.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/0dce489ae64d2c3eb1c167a1a33ce6e4/tumblr_pk3awwvRjb1y39xabo1_1280.jpg

It's pouring rain here in NYC as well.

And this one is from my door, now that the sun has come out.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ceccc3fb4eef66b3ade69cb4bed736bc/tumblr_pk3bdnajAG1y39xabo1_1280.jpg

Now you've got me longing to be there once more--long December days, warmth, and green trees!

AvaLily

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/ them
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 11:55:59 am »

by Altair

Signing from Edinburgh Scotland  am home alone at the moment waiting for my husband to get back from shopping i wouldnt go near the shop at this time of year madness

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 12:12:34 pm »
Signing from Edinburgh Scotland  am home alone at the moment waiting for my husband to get back from shopping i wouldnt go near the shop at this time of year madness

I presume the night is well underway in Edinburgh by now, WillowLily; thanks for the update!

AvaLily

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/ them
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 12:47:19 pm »
I presume the night is well underway in Edinburgh by now, WillowLily; thanks for the update!
its nice and dark here now

Tags: