collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2018  (Read 3459 times)

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2018
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 05:49:26 pm »
OH NO!

Or rather: OH N.O.!

As an aside, does anyone want to play Cards Against Humanity? The password is ecauldron.

There is no chat in the game so any commentary would have to go on here but I think it would be fun.

I'm tempted, though I've never played before. I hear good things about it, and I've been quite curious. But I can't do it right now, because...

...I'm heading to the Rubin Museum of Art! They specialize in Himalayan art, which has a heavy religious influence--Buddhist, Hindu, and other related Eastern faiths--so a visit there can be a meditative, transformative experience. PLUS they have free admission on Fridays from 6-10 PM, so I'm going there now (so that I can be back in time for the Great Global Group Meditation at 9 pm Eastern time).

Here's an idea: I can try live-streaming a part of my visit to the museum via Facebook, if anyone wants to see what I'm seeing. Though usually I post to my FB page with the privacy set to "Friends", I'll post this livestream from the RMA as "Public", so if you go to my personal FB page (https://www.facebook.com/christian.cooper1), you should be able to see it. I figure I'll start live streaming in about an hour, at 6:45.

No guarantees; I've never tried this before, so I don't know if it will work! But if it does, it will be one more way we'll all be able to use this here technology stuff to share a global experience of each other's solstice.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: ze/zir or they/them
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2018, 05:55:55 pm »

Hey, reporting in from the Midwest! The sun went down sometime while I was cooking.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2018, 06:11:17 pm »
I'm tempted, though I've never played before. I hear good things about it, and I've been quite curious. But I can't do it right now, because...

In any case, it's been a bit and nobody's joined, so if I see another one pop up I'll join in but as it is I might go to bed soon. I'm in the UK so most activity will probably be tomorrow during the day anyway.

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2018, 06:14:30 pm »
The sun set here (Youngstown OH) about 40 minutes ago and twilight just ended. Of course, as cloudy as it is today, it's been dark quite a while.

Next year I'll be sure to include our hosts' hometown in our rundown of sunset/sunrise times. (I didn't know it was Youngstown until just now!)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2018, 06:23:14 pm »
So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

Dark and rainy here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's a good night for staying in and doing a bit of writing.
Into the Grey Mists (Spiritual Blog)

"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • I'm sorry, I can't - I have plans with my cats...
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry-leaning learner
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2018, 06:25:32 pm »

I've never played and honestly just had to Google it to find out what it's all about!  Sounds as though it could be amusing, but I'm not sure if I have sufficient brain power to learn it tonight.
"Everything's made up of elements, right? Earth, Water, Air, Fire and... sunnink. Well-known fact. Everything's got 'em all mixed up just right."
Character Nobby Nobbs in the late, great Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel The Truth

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 06:31:42 pm »
...I'm heading to the Rubin Museum of Art! They specialize in Himalayan art, which has a heavy religious influence--Buddhist, Hindu, and other related Eastern faiths--so a visit there can be a meditative, transformative experience. PLUS they have free admission on Fridays from 6-10 PM, so I'm going there now (so that I can be back in time for the Great Global Group Meditation at 9 pm Eastern time).

Here's an idea: I can try live-streaming a part of my visit to the museum via Facebook, if anyone wants to see what I'm seeing. Though usually I post to my FB page with the privacy set to "Friends", I'll post this livestream from the RMA as "Public", so if you go to my personal FB page (https://www.facebook.com/christian.cooper1), you should be able to see it. I figure I'll start live streaming in about an hour, at 6:45.

No guarantees; I've never tried this before, so I don't know if it will work! But if it does, it will be one more way we'll all be able to use this here technology stuff to share a global experience of each other's solstice.

Ugh--frantically juggling tasks, so I'm only leaving now for the RMA. So if anybody is planning to see if this livestream thing will really work, it's going to be at 7:15, NOT 6:45

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 06:35:41 pm »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Friday, December 21, 2018, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
 A bitter chill is in the air
 The sun departs, and with it goes
 A fruitful season free of woes
 As winter’s icy grip takes hold
 The sleeping landscape to enfold
 Many hours of dark must pass
 Before the sun returns at last
 To make its long-awaited climb
 With promise of a flowering time
 Until that hour, let dark prevail
 Greet longest night with strong wassail
 Sing and dance, feast and drink
 Or solemnly reflect and think
 From strange and hidden wells partake
 With one rule only: Stay awake!
 From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
 Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]
(Tapatalk won't let me edit quotes)

ITS DARK! I am 1.5 hours away from being done work but I am super ready for tonight. Gonna do ALL the seasonal baking tonight, if yall want pics of yummy food hit me up!

So far today I've had 2 people mention the solstice to me. I take it as proof I am doing the right thing getting back into it <3

Chat more here and in Discord soon! HUGS TO ALL!!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 06:43:40 pm »
OH NO!

As an aside, does anyone want to play Cards Against Humanity? The password is ecauldron.

There is no chat in the game so any commentary would have to go on here but I think it would be fun.
Just saw this now. I am so in! I'll be home in about 3 hours if you are still cool to play :)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2018, 06:54:53 pm »
So far today I've had 2 people mention the solstice to me. I take it as proof I am doing the right thing getting back into it <3

Yay!
"Everything's made up of elements, right? Earth, Water, Air, Fire and... sunnink. Well-known fact. Everything's got 'em all mixed up just right."
Character Nobby Nobbs in the late, great Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel The Truth

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2018, 06:57:06 pm »
Ugh--frantically juggling tasks, so I'm only leaving now for the RMA. So if anybody is planning to see if this livestream thing will really work, it's going to be at 7:15, NOT 6:45

See, again I'm not actually sure I've enough brain - can't even work out what time your 7:15 would be here (okay, I could look it up and I'm just being lazy, but I blame the fact I ate too much dinner and then too many mince pies for dessert...)   ;)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2018, 07:01:18 pm »
Just saw this now. I am so in! I'll be home in about 3 hours if you are still cool to play :)

I just went to the site and landed in a random game ??? Still fun though.

It's raining here and I'm bummed that I won't get to see the full moon.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2018, 07:06:22 pm »

This reminds me of our 'non-theme' of Rise And Shine - do we have discussions here, or in a separate thread?  (Can't recall from last year.)

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid in training
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/their
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2018, 07:12:31 pm »
Hey, reporting in from the Midwest! The sun went down sometime while I was cooking.

Official sunset just happened here (southern ID), though it's still more'n light enough to Do Things.

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2018, 07:16:15 pm »
I just went to the site and landed in a random game ??? Still fun though.

I'm not worried about not seeing the full moon. The people are feeling it's full effects tonight.

A gentleman walked into my store tonight (we are beside a walk in clinic btw) and went "That line is so long." * pulled his pants up to his knees, indicating his swelled ankles * "Does this look like diabetes to you?"

I was shocked to say the least .... I, a humble saleswoman, neither want to see nor do I really care about your ankles ..... go see a doctor

Tags: