collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2018  (Read 3428 times)

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Magia espiritual femenina
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2018
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 01:08:47 pm »
It's pouring rain here in NYC as well.

Now you've got me longing to be there once more--long December days, warmth, and green trees!

Aren't there trees on the streets in NYC?

I prefer winter. The heat of summer makes my blood pressure go to the ground, especially on rainy days. (Now it's a beautiful summer day, btw. I just hope it doesn't rain anymore. We have 28.9 degrees C right now.)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • I'm sorry, I can't - I have plans with my cats...
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry-leaning learner
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:00 pm »
Pickle for the win, first to report in with the fall to darkness! In the United Kingdom--though I forget exactly where.

Thanks for whetting our appetite for what is yet to come in the Americas!

In the South, hence why I probably had around an hour extra daylight than WillowLily (though I was stuck in an office and unable to appreciate it, really).

Apparently sunset here was at 16:01 (or 16:00 where I was at the time, at work).  Sunrise tomorrow will be at 08:06.

I'm home now, on the sofa with the laptop (and one of my kitcats beside me - yay!)

We've ordered some dinner because I don't feel like cooking tonight, because now that my laptop's on you can't separate me from it for toffee (which is incidentally what my kitcat's name is - lil Toffee).

I'm finished work for a while, I only have to go into the office on the 31st for cover and then I'm not back until the 7th January, so this is also my holiday!

I might celebrate with a little Jaegermeister (but not too much, else it'll make me sleepy!)
"Everything's made up of elements, right? Earth, Water, Air, Fire and... sunnink. Well-known fact. Everything's got 'em all mixed up just right."
Character Nobby Nobbs in the late, great Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel The Truth

muis

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 01:37:14 pm »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Friday, December 21, 2018, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
 A bitter chill is in the air
 The sun departs, and with it goes
 A fruitful season free of woes
 As winter’s icy grip takes hold
 The sleeping landscape to enfold
 Many hours of dark must pass
 Before the sun returns at last
 To make its long-awaited climb
 With promise of a flowering time
 Until that hour, let dark prevail
 Greet longest night with strong wassail
 Sing and dance, feast and drink
 Or solemnly reflect and think
 From strange and hidden wells partake
 With one rule only: Stay awake!
 From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
 Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]

It is dark in the Netherlands since 5 pm. I cannot join the meditation this year because it is the same time as an other online ritual.

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 04:34:30 pm »
It is dark in the Netherlands since 5 pm. I cannot join the meditation this year because it is the same time as an other online ritual.

We'll miss you, muis!

New York just fell to darkness! All-night candle lit; let the solstice revels reign!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:23 pm »
We'll miss you, muis!

New York just fell to darkness! All-night candle lit; let the solstice revels reign!

Sunset here was 4:14, I lit my candle and had a bath with a nice bath bomb (juniper and fir) and now I am sitting on the bed with the cat stretched out along my leg.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 04:42:19 pm »

Yay, welcome to the party/vigil US folks!  :)
"Everything's made up of elements, right? Earth, Water, Air, Fire and... sunnink. Well-known fact. Everything's got 'em all mixed up just right."
Character Nobby Nobbs in the late, great Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel The Truth

Donal2018

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 04:44:52 pm »
Yay, welcome to the party/vigil US folks!  :)

Sun has set in Northeastern New York. I can not stay awake all night for health reasons, but I will light a candle when I get home. Well wishes to all on this Solstice.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 04:51:12 pm »
I can not stay awake all night for health reasons

I'm quite likely the same way (I think last year I went to sleep around 3 or 4 am, which was quite good going for me).

Well wishes to you too  :)

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 05:13:15 pm »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Friday, December 21, 2018, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

I'm definitely not going to stay up all night (sleep will beckon at some point, and the dog has abandoned me) but I thought I'd drop in.

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 05:15:05 pm »

Called out sick at work due to cramps, though it worked out since around the time I would be getting ready to leave work, there was a flash flood warning.

Day off meant I got to sleep a lot, which should mean I'm ready to stay up all night! Just lit the candle, left a note on my door so my neighbors know what's going on. Dog's been walked, and in about an hour it'll be time for the first meal of the night.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 05:23:47 pm »
I'm quite likely the same way (I think last year I went to sleep around 3 or 4 am, which was quite good going for me).

Well wishes to you too  :)

Pickle, Donal, you are of course welcome for as long as you see fit. (Please do NOT put your health at risk; that's totally NOT what this night is about!). Same goes for everyone--come and go, leave and then join the party again, cheer on those who plan to try to make it the whole night...whatever works for you.

Everyone, that is, except Night Owl. By virtue of his Cauldron handle, he MUST stay up all night.  ;)  (I'm just kidding, N.O.!)

I got out of work earlier than expected, so I was able to fit in an hour-long nap before waking and bathing before sunset. So I'm hopeful that will help me go the distance.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 05:28:08 pm »
Everyone, that is, except Night Owl. By virtue of his Cauldron handle, he MUST stay up all night.

OH NO!

As an aside, does anyone want to play Cards Against Humanity? The password is ecauldron.

There is no chat in the game so any commentary would have to go on here but I think it would be fun.

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 05:30:26 pm »
Aren't there trees on the streets in NYC?

There are tons of trees in NYC. But because it's now winter here, most of them have dropped their leaves, so that the world looks cold and gray, with trees laid bare like skeletons. This time of year I miss the profound sense of well-being I get from being surrounded by green and growing things!

Since whenever I've been to Buenos Aires it has always been during your spring (the blooming jacarandas!) or summer, that's how I remember your city.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2018, 05:40:22 pm »

The sun set here (Youngstown OH) about 40 minutes ago and twilight just ended. Of course, as cloudy as it is today, it's been dark quite a while.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free
OSR.SPACE: Old School Tabletop RPG Community

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Magia espiritual femenina
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 05:45:40 pm »
There are tons of trees in NYC. But because it's now winter here, most of them have dropped their leaves, so that the world looks cold and gray, with trees laid bare like skeletons. This time of year I miss the profound sense of well-being I get from being surrounded by green and growing things!

Of course! I feel stupid now lol.

Since whenever I've been to Buenos Aires it has always been during your spring (the blooming jacarandas!) or summer, that's how I remember your city.

I don't live in Buenos Aires, I live in Bahía Blanca, which is in the south of Buenos Aires province, but I'm about 700 km from CABA. Anyway, we also have jacarandás! They're losing the flowers, so the streets are covered in blue in this time of year. We also have a lot of ash trees, so there's also a lot of green going on.

We happened to have a beautiful day, with a maximum temperature of 30 degrees C. The sun hasn't set yet, it will at 20:32 (8:32 pm, I never know which time format should I use). I'll go pick the twins from the kindergarten and then light the solstice candle.

Tags: