Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2017 (10th Anniversary Edition)  (Read 15072 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
I forgot to note the exact moment of solstice

I was at home within nothing I had to do and I forgot to note it exactly - but at least I was browsing TC instead of just random webbrowsing
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Waldhexe for the win, with the first report of the northern world's spreading darkness! Thanks, Waldhexe
You're welcome! :)

I'm already back. It's nearly 9 pm now and very dark without stars (cloudy). It doesn't rain, but it is wet everywhere and the temperatures are very mild.

We managed to make a fire, it didn't burn long because we didn't have that much wood - originally we had planned to drive to a larger solstice event, but it was cancelled due to unstable weather conditions, so this was rather unprepared - but we had a beautiful little fire and some "Glühwein" (can't look up the English word on the phone).

We all have to get up early tomorrow - some have to go to work. I'm on vacation already, but I'll have to take the train early tomorrow morning because I meet with friends in Cologne. One of my witch friends wants to show us a statue of Saint Brighid.

Horizons

• View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic/Hellenic-leaning Polytheist
It's the 10th anniversary of our solstice party, that's what this thread is!
I remembered my account on these forums as I was flailing around for ideas about what to do for the Solstice tonight, so I guess I might as well re-introduce myself on this thread and start getting to know you all. I live with my mother and husband who are polytheists also and will celebrate with me later, but it's neat to read about others' enthusiasm and plans. I've always loved the Winter Solstice both because it usually signifies the setting in of deep winter here in Pennsylvania (I love cold) and for its symbolism with the chthonic Deities.

It's been a very sunny day here, but now the sun is starting into what looks like it will be a colorful sunset. Only another 30 minutes or so until the long night starts. Which means I really should be cleaning my study so it's respectful to my oracle and Deity cards when I get them out...

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
... and some "Glühwein" (can't look up the English word on the phone).

<pokes the 'net>

That appears to be, in English, mulled wine.

Non-theme relevance: ooh, an international culinary terms subconvo. Very TC-traditional, though not (necessarily) for UAN.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
I remembered my account on these forums as I was flailing around for ideas about what to do for the Solstice tonight, so I guess I might as well re-introduce myself on this thread and start getting to know you all.

Welcome to the party, Horizons!

Here in NYC, the darkness has just fallen, the Night of Nights begun. The all-night-long black candle is lit, and the commencement of festivities signaled by the blasting at full volume of my traditional December solstice kickoff music.

The plan now is to clean up a bit, because after I dash to a participatory bell-ringing march starting in my neighborhood park, and then race over to another park where amateur astronomers are setting up telescopes for stargazing, I have to be back here to a reasonably neat apartment to welcome fellow Cauldronite TheGreenWizard, who's going to be here with me live for the Great Global Group Meditation at 9 Eastern. And then we're going out to a (hopefully!) raucous bar to have a drink. Maybe at the bar I'll even get lucky... (solstice sex!)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:43:04 pm by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
And by now Essex, England, had gone dark! Enjoy The Last Jedi, Chatelaine; I want to hear your opinion when you get back (mine is here).

I was certainly not surprised, as I never avoided spoilers. I found it visually stunning, the porgs were adorable and Luke was every bit the badass boss I expected to the bitter end. I cried in places, but I'm already looking forward to Ep. IX for Grumpy Force Ghost Luke and Kylo Ren getting curbstomped as he deserves. It's certainly flawed - I wasn't happy with Leia's final scenes or Finn's screen time - but they all are anyway.

tl;dr - I loved it, haters gonna hate.

I'm having mulled-wine tea, and a mulled-wine-scented candle. Anything, that is, but mulled wine itself.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
Here in NYC, the darkness has just fallen, the Night of Nights begun. The all-night-long black candle is lit, and the commencement of festivities signaled by the blasting at full volume of my traditional December solstice kickoff music.

Past dark here north of Boston, I'm working on making some hot and sour soup for dinner in the hopes of clearing this chest cold.  My plan for the evening is 'take a quick nap after I've got dinner done because I wasn't able to sleep in this morning' and then get up to put Younger to bed and see how far I last.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Horizons

• View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic/Hellenic-leaning Polytheist
Welcome to the party, Horizons!

Thanks! And wow, your plans for the Solstice sound like a whole lot of fun. Sadly my husband works tonight, so no special plans or Solstice sex for me, lol. But at least I was able to decide what I want to do for our Solstice ritual, and am going to be capitalizing on the 'new beginnings' energy of the holiday to start a new habit of spiritual practice, since I've been very negligent with that for the past year.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Thanks! And wow, your plans for the Solstice sound like a whole lot of fun. Sadly my husband works tonight, so no special plans or Solstice sex for me, lol. But at least I was able to decide what I want to do for our Solstice ritual, and am going to be capitalizing on the 'new beginnings' energy of the holiday to start a new habit of spiritual practice, since I've been very negligent with that for the past year.

Glaedelig Jul everyone, as my Grandfather would say. Sun set not too long ago here. I'm just killing a few minutes time before we leave for the Yule celebration my local Pagan meetup group is putting together. I'd planned on leaving about 15 minutes ago but my husband made us late, as usual.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Glaedelig Jul everyone, as my Grandfather would say. Sun set not too long ago here. I'm just killing a few minutes time before we leave for the Yule celebration my local Pagan meetup group is putting together. I'd planned on leaving about 15 minutes ago but my husband made us late, as usual.

Calling sunset! So excited for this holiday!!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Calling sunset! So excited for this holiday!!

Sun set here about 55 minutes ago. We got lots of clouds, so it is now quite dark. Of course, our house -- and several around us -- are light up with holiday lights.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

The plan now is to clean up a bit, because after I dash to a participatory bell-ringing march starting in my neighborhood park

I wish you guys could see or better yet hear this! A crescent moon, an evergreen swathed in white lights, and the sounds of a hundred bells. Magical!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
I wish you guys could see or better yet hear this! A crescent moon, an evergreen swathed in white lights, and the sounds of a hundred bells. Magical!

It does sound it  :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
Calgary, AB  4:31 PM/8:37 AM

The sun has set in Calgary! It's heavily overcast and snowing a bit, so the main way I can tell it with my own eyes is that the outdoor light level has a subtly different quality.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
Calgary, AB  4:31 PM/8:37 AM

Also, looks to me like that was this morning's sunrise time. Sunrise Sunset says the sun will come up here at 0838 tomorrow morning.

Sunflower

Tags: