collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2015  (Read 8293 times)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2015
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 02:06:22 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183725
Welcome, Chatelaine! (The 3:49 sunset time for Essex in my earlier post was for you, BTW.)

I got my very own sunset time marker? Yay me! :D:

The house is smelling of frankincense, cinnamon, orange and Cajun spices. It's dizzying, but that's par for the course whenever both parentals are in the mood to have fun in the kitchen.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 02:26:13 pm »
Quote from: Moonstone;183726
Well the sun has set here and I have said a small prayer to the gods of the moon which will be keeping us company tonight (if it's not too cloudy!). I doubt I'll be able to stay up all night as my medication makes me tired but I will  be getting up early tomorrow to watch the sunrise.

Two hours to go before sunset here in NYC...I'm still at the office, and my head just nodded in a fit of sleep! This does not bode well for me tonight...but hopefully it's mostly because I find my day job so boring.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Allaya

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: It's Complicated
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 03:00:35 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183730
Two hours to go before sunset here in NYC...I'm still at the office, and my head just nodded in a fit of sleep! This does not bode well for me tonight...but hopefully it's mostly because I find my day job so boring.

I've been having the sleepies ever since that nice bowl of soup. The house is warmer than is usual in winter and warms = sleepies.

I just saw the forecast for the week and we're due for record high temperatures. Might just be me, but I really don't think I ought to be able to wander outside to the mailbox in flipflops and a t-shirt in Norway in the middle of December.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 03:08:27 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;183734
I just saw the forecast for the week and we're due for record high temperatures. Might just be me, but I really don't think I ought to be able to wander outside to the mailbox in flipflops and a t-shirt in Norway in the middle of December.

It's the warmest December since records began down here. Not that we would be expecting snow (that doesn't happen before January or, more likely, February), but it's unseasonably warm enough for birds to come back. The fluttering about in the crawlspaces is driving me nuts.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 03:09:31 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;183734

That's freaky.

Coming back to our non-theme, one way to promote peace is to do something about global warming. (Because the effects of climate change are going to cause massive upheaval for human societies worldwide.) Despite recent encouraging signs from Paris, I've largely despaired of ever seeing our governments do something responsible about this, as they ought to.

So it's up to us.

If you've changed your lifestyle in some way that helps fight climate change, tell us about it!

ME: I commute by bike, mostly--sometimes walking or using public transportation when biking isn't possible. My electricity comes entirely from "green" renewable energy sources.

BUT I travel by plane a fair amount--at least 2 trips a year, relatively long distances, and it's for leisure, so I can't even justify it as part of my job. And air travel dumps *a lot* of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, apparently. Not sure what to do about that.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 04:38:29 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183701
The night beginning at sunset on Monday, December 21, 2015

...and here in the city of New York, it has begun! We fell to darkness at 4:31 PM Eastern time.

All-night black candle lit, my chosen winter solstice music blasted at max volume. Meditation (inner peace!) later.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:39:15 pm by Altair »

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 04:44:02 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183740
my chosen winter solstice music

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 06:07:43 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183714
Dallas, TX
5:25 PM / 7:25 AM

The sun will be going down here in a few minutes -- it's 70F outside now, however, so it does not feel much like winter. It will drop to the 40s overnight -- unlike the low 60s last night.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 06:17:04 pm »
...and here in the city of New York, it has begun! We fell to darkness at 4:31 PM

Hello all from the UK. It's been dark for 8 hours now. I've had a frustrating solstice so far - I had a lot of plans, but recently moved back in with my parents, and they've conveniently made plans for me repeatedly over today and tomorrow, foiling most of what I was going to do at both ends. The earth's axial tilt won't wait 20 minutes....!

Ah well. It makes me feel better knowing you are all here to day hi to, so I can have a small solstice online ^_^

The weather is foul here - even had I been able to get out, I'm not sure there was a sunset to see and I don't expect a sunrise either. Pretty cool in a blustery sort of way though. Everyone is asleep, soI think I'm safe to light candles now.

Peaceful + merry solstice to you all!
"We all have something to learn, and something to teach."
30 Days of Magic: take the challenge now!

Petit Albert: This witch\'s blog
Book of Protective Magic by Albert - free 20 page bookzine download

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 06:24:12 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183736

ME: I commute by bike, mostly--sometimes walking or using public transportation when biking isn't possible. My electricity comes entirely from "green" renewable energy

I like the idea of global warming as a way to promote peace - you're right about the upheaval.  

ME: I've committed to never owning a car; i swapped to a vegetarian diet as meat has some impact on global warming. I wanted to go for green energy, but the gov here just cut the subsidies so it will be impossible to break even on it, which is frustrating.  

In the new year I hope to grow more of my own food, and reduce my electricity use, and retool my home for maximum energy efficiency

Really, though, it's not up to us :/ we need serious action from governments globally. Every little helps - to an extent. But beyond that....so if we could get involved in pressure campaigns or letter writing, that would be good too.

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 06:35:44 pm »
...and here in the city of New York, it has begun! We fell to darkness at 4:31 PM Eastern time.

All-night black candle lit, my chosen winter solstice music blasted at max volume. Meditation (inner peace!) later.

I like this ritual! I may do that next year. I'm about two hours late for the sunset, so I will greet the sunrise tomorrow with candles, prayer, and meditation (hopefully outdoors.)  I'm about 8 months pregnant now, so all nighters aren't really an option.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 06:36:36 pm »
. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other ve]

Here are three things:

1) what's on your yule playlist? I've got some thiefed songs like Holly and the ivy, and mike oldfields in dulci jubilo. I like medieval Baebes song So Spricht Das Leben especially for this festival - death and life singing to each other about who has power over the world. And i like cheeky modem stuff like sun giant by fleet foxes or here comes the sun by the Beatles.

2) last year I did a spell which worked - and then some. I want to say thank you, but j didn't keep any notes; or I've lost them.  I'm now really wary of...omitting someone by name, or causing offence. My goal is to repeat the ritual on its anniversary. Do you think I can get away with a generic call to "whosoever helped me out"? Boy am I embarrassed.

3) my friend sent me a solstice poem by John Donne - a nocturnal upon St Lucys day, which apparently it is. You need to read it out loud to understand it, or at least I did, but it's very beautiful and expresses the perfect idea of the season - between the cold dead and new life. It's online if you want to Google for it- I cannot easily add a clicky link from.my phone, alas.

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 06:44:32 pm »

No candles here yet, didn't decide which ones to burn.

As for peace and climate change: I ride the public bus a lot, more so lately because Mom has been laid up since her surgery in November. I walk to where I need to go if the bus doesn't take me right to it. Use the train if I need to make a long trip without Mom. I turn off lights in empty rooms and I keep electronics off unless I'm using them (made easier by having them plugged into surge protectors - just turn the protector off when I'm done using anything attached to it.)

I don't have my driver's license yet, but unfortunately I will have to get it soon-ish. Mom starts chemo sometime next year again, and she probably won't always be in shape to drive when needed. Plus, I'd like to volunteer as part of a taxi service on Election Day if there's a local group that organizes that service. I know a lot of people have a hard time getting to the polls, so I figure driving them to and from the station is a good way to help out.

I haven't ridden a plane in years, but I'm kind of starting to regret not getting out of the USA for a while. It's like hitting a reset button - a little time away and I come back more or less ready to get back into the groove. And there are places I really want to visit which aren't easily accessible except my plane.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Aubren

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 06:50:05 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183703
As I did last year, I'm launching the UAN thread early by North American east coast standards, so that those in the far eastern reaches of the globe, for whom nightfall on December 21 may be approaching, can begin posting.

This year's non-theme--inspiration for what to post, which can be completely ignored if you want to post something completely different (hence the "non" in "non-theme")--is:

Peace

The world needs it! Tell us what brings it for you, show us what it looks like in your area, write a poem or prayer about it...it's up to you!

Hiya! Merry Winter!

So, since I'm from Colorado, I guess I need to say an obligatory "weed 4 peace" joke?
Wazhazhe

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 06:53:19 pm »

Happy Solstice, my lovelies!  It's a dark and stormy night here in southern Appalachia and feeling unseasonably warm.  Hope everyone has a wonderful night!
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Tags: