collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2014  (Read 13505 times)

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;167712
It's totally dark here and my candles are lit. I won't be up all night - I'm travelling tomorrow - but I'll be in and out while I'm up.

I'll be in and out as well- particularly once it get dark. It's still morning over here, so I've got awhile until then.

I might do a ritual to Saule when it gets dark or at sunset, but... I'm not certain. (I'm such a bad worshipper)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 12:17:34 pm »
Quote from: Altair;167708
Our first report of the spreading darkness! Thanks as ever, Tana. We count on you.

My pleasure, Altair. :)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 12:32:07 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;167709
It's dark here now as well. Just started dropping over the past 15 minutes.

It's totally dark here and my candles are lit. I won't be up all night - I'm travelling tomorrow - but I'll be in and out while I'm up.

Quote from: Naomi J;167713
I missed reporting falling darkness here, as I'm having a mad busy research day and got distracted. It's been dark here for about an hour. I'm currently in a London pub drinking mulled wine -  the perfect start to the solstice! We might play some D&D later.

I'm totally jealous of you UK folks this year; with midnight there poised almost exactly between the precise moment of solstice and the precise moment of the full moon, you're going to have one hell of a witching hour!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 12:34:38 pm »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;167710
Oh, yeah, definitely. It's always a good thing to do at winter solstice. I'll be honouring Heru/Horus tomorrow for midsummer, and sunlight is definitely better for Him. Sobek is more of a night creature, in my experience.

I was hoping to hear from someone Down Under for UAN; thanks for the update, Sobekemiti!

It's a second day of overcast and cold (right around the freezing mark) today in NYC. I need some mental warming up, so if you're still awake, please, tell me what the weather is like in Australia.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 12:38:13 pm »

Same here, except for the travelling part. We've just finished dinner. I'm looking forward to everyone retiring for the night, so I can get into the proper contemplative mood.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 12:40:15 pm »
Quote from: Altair;167716
I'm totally jealous of you UK folks this year; with midnight there poised almost exactly between the precise moment of solstice and the precise moment of the full moon, you're going to have one hell of a witching hour!

You mean the black moon, I think.
Which makes it even more interesting. Depending on what's planned. :D:
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 01:07:13 pm »
Quote from: Tana;167719

Hey y'all! I'm going to work on a new altar to represent howthings have changed for me. I'm also going to clean my room and maybe post some pics of it for the non-theme. I'm excited to be celebrating with y'all. It marks a year of me being on TC.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »
Quote from: Tana;167719

D'OH! Yes, thank you, Tana; I meant to write "new moon". Stoopid brain.

brett

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 01:24:51 pm »
Quote from: Altair;167681
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Sunday, December 21, 2014, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the solstice (summer solstice in the Southern Hemisphere; in the North, it's winter solstice, a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout and/or chatter in chat, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!

In that spirit, here it is again, folks--that modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
A bitter chill is in the air
The sun departs, and with it goes
A fruitful season free of woes
As winter’s icy grip takes hold
The sleeping landscape to enfold
Many hours of dark must pass
Before the sun returns at last
To make its long-awaited climb
With promise of a flowering time
Until that hour, let dark prevail
Greet longest night with strong wassail
Sing and dance, feast and drink
Or solemnly reflect and think
From strange and hidden wells partake
With one rule only: Stay awake!
From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]

Happy Solstice everyone! I'm just checking in to wish you all blessings. :)
Blessed Be, and Namaste.

Sophia C

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Christian and Pagan. Anglican, Druid, Gaelic-ish polytheist, some other influences
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 01:42:04 pm »
Quote from: Altair;167716

I can't wait for the solstice/new moon two hour stretch. Some serious banishing is going to happen here!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2014, 01:50:35 pm »
Quote from: Raine;167724
Hey y'all! I'm going to work on a new altar to represent howthings have changed for me. I'm also going to clean my room and maybe post some pics of it for the non-theme. I'm excited to be celebrating with y'all. It marks a year of me being on TC.

Congratulations! I'm going to clean too (it just seems appropriate) and try to do away with the stacks of books and paper I've accumulated.

Anyone know anything about cleansing, btw? I'll probably just go with salt in a bowl, but I'm open to suggestions!

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 01:54:03 pm »
Quote from: Balticdragon;167728
Congratulations! I'm going to clean too (it just seems appropriate) and try to do away with the stacks of books and paper I've accumulated.

Anyone know anything about cleansing, btw? I'll probably just go with salt in a bowl, but I'm open to suggestions!

I'm fond of apple cider vinegar and salt mix for cleaning purposes. It's a bit of UPG, but apple cider vinegar is a good cleaning agent for energy purposes, besides the natural ability to clean.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 02:02:21 pm »
Quote from: Raine;167729
I'm fond of apple cider vinegar and salt mix for cleaning purposes. It's a bit of UPG, but apple cider vinegar is a good cleaning agent for energy purposes, besides the natural ability to clean.

I'll second that UPG.  My all-purpose cleaner is diluted cider vinegar mixed with a bit of fragrant herbage thrown in a spray bottle.  I'll be mixing up a new batch this evening - lots of housecleaning to do in every sense of the word between the solstice and new moon.
Into the Grey Mists (Spiritual Blog)

"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

Lana288

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 02:25:09 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;167730
I'll second that UPG.  My all-purpose cleaner is diluted cider vinegar mixed with a bit of fragrant herbage thrown in a spray bottle.  I'll be mixing up a new batch this evening - lots of housecleaning to do in every sense of the word between the solstice and new moon.

(Thanks Raine! I can't quote both of you with the device I'm on, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you)

We have tons of ACV here, so that's really helpful! Can you use it on wood? What herbs do you mix with it (if you don't mind me asking)?

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 02:27:24 pm »
Quote from: Balticdragon;167734
(Thanks Raine! I can't quote both of you with the device I'm on, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you)

We have tons of ACV here, so that's really helpful! Can you use it on wood? What herbs do you mix with it (if you don't mind me asking)?

It's no problem! You're very welcome. :D

Tags: