Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Up All Night, a Cauldron Tradition—2015!  (Read 8374 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Re: Up All Night, a Cauldron Tradition—2015!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 11:06:23 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;181985
Still chewing over this one.  

What about something cosmos/larger picture focused?  I realize my geek may be showing, but I'm doing a 'one tiny speck on a little blue dot' themed working for solstice.  Trying to put the stupidity that has been 2015 into perspective.

I quite like this idea.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 03:11:13 am »
Quote from: Altair;181915
So…who’s with me?

I plan to try, though tbh I have no idea what town I'll even be in that night, so as to whether I'll be near my computer is anyone's guess. (I mean, likely, I can't really survive without the thing, but it's also possible that's a rare night I interact with people in the non-cyber space.) Mom needs me to come up to her place in the first half of December to take care of puppydog, and I have no idea when I'll be back, only that it'll be before Christmas (which we celebrate with my husband's family).

As for a non-theme...well, the big thing on my mind right now is home, and the warmth of the hearthfire, and putting together a space for living, mainly because mine currently is a disaster area with post-flood renos and hopefully December is when we can finally start putting it back together again. Other than that, no clue. I've got a pretty one-track mind right now (seems usual for me these days).
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 02:54:23 am »
So…who’s with me?

Don't know if I can take part in this properly this year - it's a really busy time and I'll lose some days after staying up all night. I'll try to pop in for a few hours if I can, though!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 05:17:27 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;182708
Don't know if I can take part in this properly this year - it's a really busy time and I'll lose some days after staying up all night. I'll try to pop in for a few hours if I can, though!

Please do, Naomi. We count on you folks across the Pond to be our early warning system for the approaching dark!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 05:19:01 am »
Quote from: Morag;182453

As for a non-theme...

Hanging this here on Morag's post, just to say that I've been following everyone's non-theme suggestions. Still pondering...
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 05:19:37 am »
Quote from: Altair;182710
Please do, Naomi. We count on you folks across the Pond to be our early warning system for the approaching dark!

I should be able to do that, and to herald the moving dawn, and still sleep in between - since the sun won't rise till something ridiculous like 8am on the solstice!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Lionrhod

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lionrhod.com
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 08:59:02 pm »
The night straddling December 21/22 marks the upcoming 2015 solstice: the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere, and the winter solstice in the north. We have this crazy tradition here at the Cauldron of celebrating the December solstice with a cyber party that starts at sunset (wherever you are) and ends at sunrise (wherever you are), during which time we “gather” electronically in this space--posting anything and everything (but still within forum rules, of course) in a special Up All Night thread that opens on the solstice, and chatting relentlessly to help each other stay up all night—or simply for as long as one wants to stay awake and participate. Northern hemisphere or south, pagan or not, up all night long or just dropping in while you’re awake…it doesn’t matter, because everyone is welcome at Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration!

The festivities will begin at sunset on Monday evening, December 21.

This Up All Night thread from last year gives you a taste of the merciless sleep-deprivation-fueled fun…but only a taste, because so much goes on in chat as well!

So…who’s with me?

And who’s got an idea for this year’s non-theme? (I have the beginnings of one, but I want to hear what you guys come up with first)

No promise of where I'll be but if I can manage it this seems an excellent (and most likely) place to spend my Yule vigil.
When given a choice between black and white, choose purple.
SpellCraft Secrets: The Art of Creating Magic Spells Made Easy 2nd edition, revised
Dark Moon Gates - Pagan YA Fantasy
Nenfari - FREE Dark Sword & Sorcery
The Spider\'s Yule Gift - A Children\'s Folktale & Polish Pagan Holiday Traditions
My Website

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 10:27:10 am »
Quote from: Lionrhod;182903
No promise of where I'll be but if I can manage it this seems an excellent (and most likely) place to spend my Yule vigil.

Count me in, as well. :)
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 01:55:34 am »
Quote from: Amphibian;182970
Count me in, as well. :)

I'm pretty sure I can hang out for at least most of the night. It would be fun to play Cards Against Humanity again-- anyone interested?

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 04:12:17 pm »
Quote from: Night Owl;183131
I'm pretty sure I can hang out for at least most of the night. It would be fun to play Cards Against Humanity again-- anyone interested?

I'd love to, although for some reason it doesn't work with my computer. Hmmmmm. Maybe I'll figure it out by the time UAN rolls around.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 07:27:14 pm »
Quote from: Merin;182440
Not a real suggestion, but I would be cool with just Peace...

First, to Merin and everyone, I'm delighted so many folks are planning to join in for all or part of Up All Night.

(I haven't been able to keep up with replies as much lately, since my workplace just relocated and, for the first time in 15 years there, I don't have my own office. Shared space has forced me to cut way down on my non-business surfing during work hours; appearances, you know. Dammit.)

And second...well, I've been mulling a few non-themes for a while, and Merin's suggestion struck me as mighty nice after Paris. And then Colorado Springs happened. And now San Bernadino. So yeah.

This year's non-theme is "Peace."

Hopes for it, prayers for it, photos of what brings it in your life, poems about it, what it means to you. Etc. And of course, it's called a "non-theme" because you can disregard it completely as you see fit.

(Thanks, Merin!)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 12:26:02 pm »
The night straddling December 21/22 marks the upcoming 2015 solstice: the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere, and the winter solstice in the north. We have this crazy tradition here at the Cauldron of celebrating the December solstice with a cyber party that starts at sunset (wherever you are) and ends at sunrise (wherever you are), during which time we “gather” electronically in this space--posting anything and everything (but still within forum rules, of course) in a special Up All Night thread that opens on the solstice, and chatting relentlessly to help each other stay up all night—or simply for as long as one wants to stay awake and participate. Northern hemisphere or south, pagan or not, up all night long or just dropping in while you’re awake…it doesn’t matter, because everyone is welcome at Up All Night: A Technopagan Solstice Celebration!

The festivities will begin at sunset on Monday evening, December 21.

Less than two weeks until our cyberparty, with our "non-theme" of Peace!

So as the night approaches, it's time we begin a crucial discussion: How do you stay up all night? What are your strategies for staying awake?

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 12:31:40 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183316
Less than two weeks until our cyberparty, with our "non-theme" of Peace!

So as the night approaches, it's time we begin a crucial discussion: How do you stay up all night? What are your strategies for staying awake?

1. The biggest rule for me is: No red wine!

Alcohol in general will knock me out if I'm tired, but red wine in particular for me is like slipping a double dose of Ambien to someone prone to comas. I'll be out like a light.

2. TV is also verboten after about midnight, cuz the eyes will glaze over and the next thing you know, I've clocked out. In the later hours, I've got to be doing something that actively engages my mind and body.

3. Take a nap during the day before! It makes a huge difference.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 05:14:40 pm »
Quote from: Altair;183317

Seconding the naps! Those really help.

Another thing that always makes sure I stay up later than intended is logging into chat. If anyone's comfortable with MUX chatting, then come join us! Chat's been super dead lately but it's always a party during UAN.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 08:07:20 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;183329

Another thing that always makes sure I stay up later than intended is logging into chat. If anyone's comfortable with MUX chatting, then come join us! Chat's been super dead lately but it's always a party during UAN.

Yeah, if there's one time when chat is busy, it's UAN.

I forgot another stay-awake strategy:

4. Eat! If I'm chewing, I can't fall asleep. Also, elaborate food preparation keeps the hands busy, which keeps the mind awake.

Tags: