Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Up All Night 2018: The Prep!  (Read 2577 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Up All Night 2018: The Prep!
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »
Just logged in with my commercial account and did some checking. With my discount, I could have 100 of the French Kraft cards printed and shipped for $22 if Cauldronites ordered through me directly...I'd need either a paper check or Zelle. I could set up PayPal, but at that price I'd have to ask you (the buyer) to front the PayPal fees. There's a cheaper option, also; for $19 I could have the 100 cards sent as plain white glossy ($14 + $5.60 shipping if folks ordered it direct). I'm also willing to upload whichever design is finally approved here for anyone to print on their own laser/inkjet printer or by their own service if they so choose.

If you don't mind, I'd like to take further discussion on this specific topic to a new thread under "Holidays and Festivals" entitled, "Up All Night: The Prep!"

This thread is for discussions of preparing handout cards and other promotional materials for Up All Night 2018. I'd especially request input from our organizers about any specific events (such as last year's meditation) which should be included or other items which need to be shown.

By The Way, my domain registrar was having a special on .top domains. I just snagged "upallnight.top" for three years. I'll gladly point it to a specific topic on this board once it's been started. Or if Randall or Altair wish to take custody of it, I'll transfer it if I can be reimbursed.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
Re: Up All Night 2018: The Prep!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 10:23:46 pm »
This thread is for discussions of preparing handout cards and other promotional materials for Up All Night 2018. I'd especially request input from our organizers about any specific events (such as last year's meditation) which should be included or other items which need to be shown.

Here's my first cut at a draft of the proposed card. Template size is 2 inches wide by 3.5 inches high (standard US business card size).

[ Invalid Attachment ]
--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 10:29:00 pm »
Here's my first cut at a draft of the proposed card. Template size is 2 inches wide by 3.5 inches high (standard US business card size).

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Just a suggestion: Perhaps I should take 2018 off of it completely and make it unspecific; after all, the solstice stays pretty consistent from year to year....
--------Eric H. Bowen

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 03:21:44 am »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Eric, this is fantastic!  Thank you for doing this!

Another way to deal with the printing would be to have a version of the card set up on an Avery template so they can be printed at home.

Also, would it be possible to create a couple of icons/buttons that people could paste into blogs, Facebook posts, etc that would link back to an info page or something on TC? Same look as the card, so we can start "branding" this event?

That would make it easy for people to help publicize UAN in a unified way.

You know, we could do something similar for TC in general -- a card, brochure, bookmark, etc that people could print in their own areas/homes that has info about TC. This could be something people could take to pagan events, UU churches, university bulletin boards, anywhere they thought appropriate. And, of course, handed to people who seem interested.

I've certainly jotted the url down for a number of random people over the years. A card would be easier and more legit looking.

I'm actually in the process of doing something similar for Clann Bhride.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:26:49 am »
Also, would it be possible to create a couple of icons/buttons that people could paste into blogs, Facebook posts, etc that would link back to an info page or something on TC? Same look as the card, so we can start "branding" this event?

Something like this?

[ Invalid Attachment ]
--------Eric H. Bowen

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 11:12:41 am »
Eric, this is fantastic!  Thank you for doing this!

Another way to deal with the printing would be to have a version of the card set up on an Avery template so they can be printed at home.

You know, we could do something similar for TC in general -- a card, brochure, bookmark, etc that people could print in their own areas/homes that has info about TC. This could be something people could take to pagan events, UU churches, university bulletin boards, anywhere they thought appropriate. And, of course, handed to people who seem interested.

I've certainly jotted the url down for a number of random people over the years. A card would be easier and more legit looking.

I'm actually in the process of doing something similar for Clann Bhride.

I second the thank you. Your organization and logical thought process are awe inspiring.

I also second the "printable at home" option. I don't have a lot of money and buy ink on a regular basis anyways. I think I would get a lot more use out of a brochure or something I can print at home. While still trying to spring for the branded Up All Night stuff once a year :)

I'm going to sneak off to Krita and see if I can do anything super eye catching to the card and button you previously posted. Is there anything I should include? Specific colours? Obviously the url. Do we have a specific symbol we want to include? :) It may take a day or so (today is my day off so I am Doing All The Things) but it will be added to the unwind list of things at the end of my day :)

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 11:20:04 am »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Also, out of curiosity. Where did you get that computer image? Its super cute

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 11:29:27 am »
Just a suggestion: Perhaps I should take 2018 off of it completely and make it unspecific; after all, the solstice stays pretty consistent from year to year....

'Pretty' consistent isn't quite consistent enough for 21 Dec to always apply, so I'd say probably not. OTOH, having the exact date being one of the details on the website could work.

What I would take off is 'winter', or replace it with 'northern' or 'December', so as to better include our southern-hemisphere members who have summer solstice when we northern-hemisphere folks have winter. (This is also more inclusive for our tropical and near-tropical members, for whom the solstices bear little resemblance to northern European, or high-latitude generally, winter and summer.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 11:30:51 am »
Also, out of curiosity. Where did you get that computer image? Its super cute

Yes, and extremely suitable for this purpose!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 03:58:51 pm »
'Pretty' consistent isn't quite consistent enough for 21 Dec to always apply, so I'd say probably not. OTOH, having the exact date being one of the details on the website could work.

Agreed. If it's print, I'd leave off the date so that it could be reused year to year; if it's modifiable (i.e., online or print on demand), I'd put the exact date.

What I would take off is 'winter', or replace it with 'northern' or 'December', so as to better include our southern-hemisphere members who have summer solstice when we northern-hemisphere folks have winter. (This is also more inclusive for our tropical and near-tropical members, for whom the solstices bear little resemblance to northern European, or high-latitude generally, winter and summer.)

This is important, because we want our Southern Hemisphere members to feel welcome; and though the focus on staying up all night is inherently Northern winter-centric, we deliberately dropped "Winter" from the full title of Up All Night several years ago, and we make a point of inviting those below the equator to relate their summertime experiences.

This is not only the right thing to do for inclusivity, but it's essential to keeping UAN truly global. One of UAN's special qualities is how it respects the local pagan experience of the solstice, much as the ancients knew it, but also expands the experience to a real-time global understanding of what happens to the Earth on this special day, as our modern knowledge and digital telecommunications make possible.

For online purposes, I'd say the following is the essential info:

Up All Night
A solstice celebration in cyberspace
December 21, 2018
hosted by The Cauldron: a pagan forum
www.ecauldron.com
FREE! Sign up today!

This covers the name of the event, the gist of what it is, when, where (incl. that this is a pagan-minded event), and the terms of participation with a call to action.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 07:23:26 pm »
Agreed. If it's print, I'd leave off the date so that it could be reused year to year; if it's modifiable (i.e., online or print on demand), I'd put the exact date.

This is important, because we want our Southern Hemisphere members to feel welcome; and though the focus on staying up all night is inherently Northern winter-centric, we deliberately dropped "Winter" from the full title of Up All Night several years ago, and we make a point of inviting those below the equator to relate their summertime experiences.

This is not only the right thing to do for inclusivity, but it's essential to keeping UAN truly global. One of UAN's special qualities is how it respects the local pagan experience of the solstice, much as the ancients knew it, but also expands the experience to a real-time global understanding of what happens to the Earth on this special day, as our modern knowledge and digital telecommunications make possible.

For online purposes, I'd say the following is the essential info:

Up All Night
December 21, 2018
www.ecauldron.com
FREE! Sign up today!

This covers the name of the event, the gist of what it is, when, where (incl. that this is a pagan-minded event), and the terms of participation with a call to action.

Folks, just a quick note to say that I have read your comments and your feedback is valid; I'm planning to make modifications appropriately. However, I'm coming off three months without employment and I'm scheduled to start a new job tomorrow morning. And I've been told to anticipate 12-hour shifts for a while; one of the reasons they hired me so quick is because they're shorthanded. So I need to concentrate on getting a good night's sleep tonight and bearing down to learn the new facility tomorrow. It may be a while before I'm ready to burn the midnight oil for hobby and personal interests. Hope you understand.
--------Eric H. Bowen

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 08:00:12 pm »
Folks, just a quick note to say that I have read your comments and your feedback is valid; I'm planning to make modifications appropriately. However, I'm coming off three months without employment and I'm scheduled to start a new job tomorrow morning. And I've been told to anticipate 12-hour shifts for a while; one of the reasons they hired me so quick is because they're shorthanded. So I need to concentrate on getting a good night's sleep tonight and bearing down to learn the new facility tomorrow. It may be a while before I'm ready to burn the midnight oil for hobby and personal interests. Hope you understand.
Real life always comes first.

Good luck with your new job!

"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:18:43 pm »
Up All Night
December 21, 2018
www.ecauldron.com
FREE! Sign up today!

This year is actually very good timing for this campaign: I just checked, and the Solstice falls on a Friday night. That means that more people will be able to participate than if it fell on a weeknight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 09:21:45 pm »
This thread is for discussions of preparing handout cards and other promotional materials for Up All Night 2018.

I'm excited to participate!  As a Solstice baby, I will be visiting family for birthday/Christmas/etc on the 21st, but will happily participate in any coordinated effort that still gets me to sleep at a time where I can get up and drive back across the state unimpaired the next day (winter driving safety is important!)

I will also happily pass this around in the SE MI area, via my social media/word of mouth/when I go gallivanting to all the local Pagan shops/etc, whenever we have a good official design/website/etc up and running. Can't wait!
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 02:44:31 pm »
This thread is for discussions of preparing handout cards and other promotional materials for Up All Night 2018......

This is so cool!

That this year's Solstice falls on a Friday means I can participate with no guilt at all about staying up late. I'm so looking forward to it!

I'm not sure if anyone else on the forum is familiar with the one witchcraft/Pagan shop I know of, but I will try to pass on word next time I manage to make a visit there. I will also pass on word via social media (as obliquely as possible - I'm still trying to stay under the radar until I either get a new job or somehow create one that lets me work from home).
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"