Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Things To Do in the Week Before Solstice  (Read 1561 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Things To Do in the Week Before Solstice
« on: December 14, 2017, 08:03:14 am »
Do you celebrate in some form this time of year? (Here at the Cauldron, we have our annual Up All Night online fest, now in its tenth year, which we're marking by including something new: the Great Global Group Meditation!) Whether you do Yule, Saturnalia, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus,...the season is fast approaching (or in the case of Hanukkah, already here). With the December 21 solstice only a week away, what preparations are you making?

Here's one I've got on my list: Check my black, long-burning, all-night candle. It lasts years, but after several in service, I've got to be sure it's got enough wax to burn from dusk till dawn on the longest night of the year.

How about you?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Re: Things To Do in the Week Before Solstice
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:13:23 am »
Do you celebrate in some form this time of year? (Here at the Cauldron, we have our annual Up All Night online fest, now in its tenth year, which we're marking by including something new: the Great Global Group Meditation!) Whether you do Yule, Saturnalia, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus,...the season is fast approaching (or in the case of Hanukkah, already here). With the December 21 solstice only a week away, what preparations are you making?

Here's one I've got on my list: Check my black, long-burning, all-night candle. It lasts years, but after several in service, I've got to be sure it's got enough wax to burn from dusk till dawn on the longest night of the year.

How about you?

Honestly, I wish I could say I do more prep, but I don't. I am going to be getting drunk on mimosas and making Christmas cookies with family on Saturday, does that count?
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:09 am »
Honestly, I wish I could say I do more prep, but I don't. I am going to be getting drunk on mimosas and making Christmas cookies with family on Saturday, does that count?

Absolutely, it counts; it counts even *more* if getting drunk on mimosas is involved!

For me, on the solstice proper, I can't get boozy; it would put me to sleep eventually, and the whole point of Up All Night (for me, anyway) is to stay awake the whole time.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 03:56:51 pm »
With the December 21 solstice only a week away, what preparations are you making?

I really want to spend a few hours baking gingerbread cookies and listening to Christmas carols that I actually like, though I rarely get the kitchen to myself where I live. Other than that, I would like to gather some sprigs from nearby evergreen trees to adorn my sacred area, since I'm thinking of doing something paganish for the first time in a while. I was thinking of picking up some more beeswax candles, but I'm trying to restrain myself, since I have a drawer already full of candles I should use first.

Sounds good to me.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 07:41:42 pm »
For me, on the solstice proper, I can't get boozy; it would put me to sleep eventually, and the whole point of Up All Night (for me, anyway) is to stay awake the whole time.

Speaking of sleep: YES. Something I'm definitely doing a lot of in the week before the solstice. I plan to be well rested before I go for the all-nighter.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 10:31:27 am »

How about you?

I'm in the midst of a cookie-making frenzy. We have a party tonight (hosted by the man who will be my husband's new boss, no less) so I want to bring a well-provisioned cookie plate to impress. I've got 3 cookies made on previous days; cream cheese spritz, anise cookies, and espresso brownies. Molasses-spice cookies made this morning are cooling and awaiting a rum icing, peanut butter blondies are in the oven, and I'm about to start creaming butter and sugar for cucidati (an Italian version of the fig newton on steroids). I'm debating whether I'll have time to make ginger shortbread as well, I'll have to judge that once some of these other cookies are done.

As for decorating around the house, I've got my table set up for my Lego winter village and we'll probably get the tree out this weekend. We had a snow here about a week ago and one of my neighbors had a big branch come off their loblolly pine tree in the front so I may pop by there and see if they'll let me take some of the fallen branch for decorating. I can't imagine they'd say no to me effectively doing the work of clearing the mess for them. :)

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »
I'm in the midst of a cookie-making frenzy. We have a party tonight (hosted by the man who will be my husband's new boss, no less) so I want to bring a well-provisioned cookie plate to impress. I've got 3 cookies made on previous days; cream cheese spritz, anise cookies, and espresso brownies. Molasses-spice cookies made this morning are cooling and awaiting a rum icing, peanut butter blondies are in the oven, and I'm about to start creaming butter and sugar for cucidati (an Italian version of the fig newton on steroids). I'm debating whether I'll have time to make ginger shortbread as well, I'll have to judge that once some of these other cookies are done.

I'm on my way over...

Another thing I've done in this week: pick out a nightspot! Since I'll have a Cauldronite pal to hang out with for part of the night in person, I wanted a great place with a partying vibe in which to throw back one (NOT a few; see above about me, sleep, and alcohol) with TheGreenWizard. I found the perfect spot, with a bit of history, and TGW hasn't been there yet, so it'll be a new adventure for him. And there'll be a chance they'll have a monthly event there that night, which will make it even more festive. We're planning to head over there right after UAN10's Great Global Group Meditation.

shadowsiren

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Polytheist with a dash of religious witchcraft / Always learning
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 08:35:53 pm »

How about you?

I just wrapped up the first wave of holiday treats. This set went to my husbands co-workers and included chocolate fudge, peanut butter fudge, dark chocolate mint truffles, milk chocolate raspberry truffles, toffee bar cookies, and sugar cookies. I still need to do plates for the neighbors. Our Christmas decorations are up and I'm 99% done with my present shopping. I just need to pick up something for my sister and oversee my kids picking out gifts for each other.

In a religious-specific sense I need to finish up writing my solstice ritual. I've got the vague outline/ideas but I want to get the specifics down. We're planning on a big family dinner and...something. I'm on the hunt for something to do with the kids... or at least the older ones. They like to help set up my working altar (the last couple of holidays I've let them help me set it up in the morning and then left it up all day. I usually do my ritual work at night after everyone is asleep and this has been a nice way to expose and discuss things with the older two) but I'm after some sort of fun, if slightly meaningful, activity.

(Closer self examination reveals that I might be searching for something to... balance out... my parents' inevitable renditions of the nativity. I'm not sure how I feel about that.)

I love the idea of staying up all night and burning a candle dusk-dawn but I have to be coherent for my kids the next day so that'll have to go on my "when they're older" list. Still will be dropping in on the UAN celebration until probably midnight/1 am local time.

Tags: