Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Seasonal Decorations: Autumn  (Read 4769 times)

DomesticWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://lifeofadomesticwitch.blogspot.com/
Seasonal Decorations: Autumn
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:57:27 am »
Growing up in a bog standard household meant I've always had a highly decorated house during the Christmas period - thats now moved to center around Yule for me but its still the only time I really concentrate on decorations. However, I really want to do more for the other seasons and festivals as at the moment my celebrations are quite unbalanced.

Whether you celebrate the three harvest festivals in the Wiccan manner, mark the different seasons or celebrate festivals from your path/religion that correspond with the seasons I thought this would be a good place for us to pool our creative ideas on how to bring the seasons into our homes, specifically autumn as its coming up.

The autumn colours, in my opinion, are just amazing - golds, reds, browns, yellows, greens, oranges. These are the colours I will be concentrating on.

I've got a few ideas so far - felted pumpkins in a large wicker basket, an evergreen garland with mini squashes and ribbons, red, orange and gold candles, gold bowls full of nuts and seeds, leaves scattered around candles, a garland made from leaves, twigs and other bits and bobs I can find outside and of course, carved pumpkins.

What sort of decorations do you have throughout your home in autumn? What festivals do you celebrate during autumn and what sort of things are associated with it and how could you represent these in your home?

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Seasonal Decorations: Autumn
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 06:45:20 pm »
Quote from: DomesticWitch;6781
Growing up in a bog standard household meant I've always had a highly decorated house during the Christmas period - thats now moved to center around Yule for me but its still the only time I really concentrate on decorations. However, I really want to do more for the other seasons and festivals as at the moment my celebrations are quite unbalanced.

Whether you celebrate the three harvest festivals in the Wiccan manner, mark the different seasons or celebrate festivals from your path/religion that correspond with the seasons I thought this would be a good place for us to pool our creative ideas on how to bring the seasons into our homes, specifically autumn as its coming up.

The autumn colours, in my opinion, are just amazing - golds, reds, browns, yellows, greens, oranges. These are the colours I will be concentrating on.

I've got a few ideas so far - felted pumpkins in a large wicker basket, an evergreen garland with mini squashes and ribbons, red, orange and gold candles, gold bowls full of nuts and seeds, leaves scattered around candles, a garland made from leaves, twigs and other bits and bobs I can find outside and of course, carved pumpkins.

What sort of decorations do you have throughout your home in autumn? What festivals do you celebrate during autumn and what sort of things are associated with it and how could you represent these in your home?

Starting on Lammas I'll start to put out the fall decor on my seasonal altar and around the house.

The decor I use for Lammas in wheat sheaves and deep blood red and bright cranberry red candles, corn husks, gourds and sunflowers.

After Lammas is over and around the 1st of September, I bring out the Autumn Equinox decorations for the seasonal altar. These are acorns, pumpkins, indian corn, pinecones and ivy.

About 2 days after Autumn Equinox I take that down and the Halloween decorations go up around the rest of the house, but the seasonal altar gets Samhain.

Crows, scarecrows, indian corn, fall leaves, oak leaves, pinecones, bones, apples and a Jack o Lantern. I end up with quite a few jacks around the house. The rest of the house gets the popular culture Halloween items. Ghosts, mummies, witches (green warted ones), werewolves, spiders, webs, ghoulish music....OOOO.:)

Then the day after Samhain, Nov. 2nd for me, Thanksgiving decor comes out. Cornucopia center pieces, little turkeys, pilgrims, the seasonal altar goes back to what it was before Samhain. Dec. 1st get the Winter Solstice/Christmas decor. The Winter Solstice stuff stays up until the the middle of January.

Whew. Long winded, sorry.:D

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:19:40 pm »

Those are some really great ideas!!! Right now, I live only in my room cause I still live with my mom xD and I am the only pagan one in my house hold. Currently I have my alter setup with corn dolls ( I didnt have corn husks so I used paper towl, I know its different) I have oates and a gardneing tool. This was for lammas. Now in autmun, I am going to have pumpkins, fruits and veggies in a basket, and little mini scarcrows :) and when samhain comes I am going to have ghosts hanging from a little tree I have in my room and skulls and cauldrons and spirit boards on my alter. Anywho thats my list for this season and the next season. Have a great rest of the summer and blessed be :)

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:13:04 pm »

I do a lot of needlework, and one of the things I do is make decorative poppets and shelf dolls around seasonal themes.  I have a mostly green front room, so I tend to change the smaller furnishings like cushions, table runners and art quilts for ones in Autumn colours, with harvest or other appropriate themes.  Herbs from my garden are cut and hung to dry for Winter use, which leaves me with pretty and fragrant bundles in the kitchen.  If I had the garden space to  grow onions I'd have plaits of those hung to dry, too.  The smell of hung allotment onions is sooooooo comforting.  The important thing for me is that the decorations I put up represent how Autumn changes my life.  This is the time of year that I harvest from the garden, make preserves, brew, dry herbs and start putting out fat balls and treats for the local fauna, so my decorations tend to reflect that.  A corner shelf that faces away from the window in my front room tends to be stocked up with jars of brightly coloured preserves.  A few shelf dolls, some herb bundles and it looks very seasonal!  Some hops hung in the bedroom looks nice, and the aroma really aids sleep.

One thing I have noticed is that I tend to cycle through colour preferences depending on season.  I wear a lot of black, purple and gold in Winter, a lot of red and brown in Autumn, and a lot of green in Spring.

I have a pair of indoor-only cats that treat anything too fragile, crinkly or attackable as a special treat for them.  It's bad enough what they do if I put a tree up in Winter, so I try to avoid things they may want to play with too much!  That means no dried seed pods or mini pumpkins, no bowls of pebbles, and no cut flowers or other greenery.  The last time I set a vase of flowers out, my boy cat carefully chewed the flower off of every stem, leaving me a lovely surprise vase of sticks the next morning!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:44:21 am by SunflowerP »

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:52:44 am »

Autumn is my favourite season, so while I don't go all-out with decorating like I do for Christmas/Yule, I still have a good collection.

- Several garlands of fake autumn leaves
- Tiny pumpkins and gourds
- A glass pumpkin bowl
- A rich brown altar cloth
- Collected pine cones, branches, and fallen leaves
- Old Halloween decorations from when I was small (rubber skeleton, tiny stuffed bat toy, dancing toy skeleton, rubber skeleton mask)
- Jack o' Lanterns
- Dark red candles
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

MarieInVa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:08:15 am »

Oh, autumn decorating, what a fun topic!  Autumn is my favorite season.  I love the cooler weather, trees painted in brilliant scarlets, ambers, and oranges, the scent on mistakable scent on the breeze, including the distant scent of wood smoke on the evening breeze, festivals, and the final harvest.  Most of all, I love decorating with nature's treasures.  

I have my late mother's long copper tray that is 3'x18'' which she used from Autumn equinox until the first of the year in the middle of the dining room table, rotating decorations.  I follow this tradition and starting with autumn equinox, until the day after Thanksgiving, line the tray with homemade preserved leaves, then adding decorative gourds, Jack-Be-Little pumpkins from my garden, as well as three pie pumpkins from my garden.  I'll clip some bittersweet with it's bright berries, and tuck them in here and there, using nuts from the market with the shells still intact, I drop them liberally  to fill in spaces.  Candles are must and add a few unscented candles in an autumn color amongst the nuts and gourds.

In the den, we have a fireplace with a pine mantel stained a pretty honey gold color.  A slender nail is nailed in center, near he upper edge of the mantel, I place four pinecones I've hot glued together; three on the bottom and one on top.  This acts as my base for building my mini harvest alter.  Much of what I add to the pine cones are crops my family grows on their farms, around the US.  

First, I use Spanish moss my aunt sends me from my home state of South Carolina; this I drape behind the pine cones and low to trail down no more than 12'' - I don't want it to catch fire!  Next, I tuck a few dried tobacco leaves between the Spanish moss and pine cones.  The leaves have a lovely mellow scent that is pleasing.  Next comes pheasant feathers from pheasants harvested the previous year; they's tucked between the tobacco leaves and the pine cones.  If I can find a few cattails they will be used as the next layer.  Another family member, grows cotton, and use the dried cotton pods with the little cotton still attached to stick into the pine cones near the back.  A friend cuts Indian corn into 1-1/2 to 2'' lengths, which I drill a hole in the center and glue a bamboo cocktail pick into the "corn flower", then tuck a few of these behind the pine cones.  Behind all of this on the mantel, there are several pillar candles in whatever color catches my eye that year.  As I light the candles I give thanks for the harvest that will provide for my family and friends this year and ask for blessings for the following year.

I also LOVE to stop by one of the farm stands and buy cornstalks, which I attach to the newl post leading up to the deck.  There are usually a dozen or so pie pumpkins that can be harvested from my garden;  I will place a few at the base of the cornstalks, with a pumpkin on each first floor window ceils.   Along the ledge over the front door, I line seven Jack-Be-Little pumpkins which come in any variation from all orange, to white with green flecks, to white with orange and green flecks.  

On my patio at one corner sits an old child's wagon filled with small bale of hay, pie pumkins, gourds and autumn branches.  The wild critters usually nibble away at the pumpkin, which is alright; plenty to go around.

Lastly, at the end of the kitchen island, I have a brass artillery shell, which someone fashioned into a lovely case; this is fill with brightly colored leaves that I rotate as they drop all their leave.

There is more, but this gives you a little idea.  I'm always interested in learning new ways to decorate seasonally!

VickyRose

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »

I don't do much decorating unfortunately, but that's only because I haven't had anyone much to share the holidays with. Believe me. I'd be totally keen on decorations if I could get someone down to do it with me.

As for my tastes, it's important to me to use things straight from nature. Making garlands or such from things I've found outdoors, etc. I'm not the type of person to start doing things with googly eyes or felt or fake spider-webs or anything like that. I am keen on candles as well. During fall, I'd think a nice string of dried autumn leaves, or a wreath made with corn husks and similar material, or some candle-lit pumpkins. Being that it's growing steadily darker, I could go crazy on candles. Right around this time, I like using apples too. Closer to October, squashes and such. When it gets closer to mid-winter, I like to bring on holly and evergreens and find some way of adding them into the house. I love seasonal bouqets. Gathering flowers in spring is lovely.

Colour is also important to me. I love the fall colours. And during winter, gold is a big hit for me. When it gets to spring, I like bright and beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:01:34 pm by VickyRose »

aware

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 04:45:16 am »
Quote from: VickyRose;20912
I don't do much decorating unfortunately, but that's only because I haven't had anyone much to share the holidays with. Believe me. I'd be totally keen on decorations if I could get someone down to do it with me.

Oh that’s a shame! But you could decorate just for your own sake as well - or don't you like that? I love decorating according to all the seasons and matching the colours I see in nature with colours in my home. My wife is of the same opinion - thank god! She loves to decorate with a lot of flowers or weeds depending on what grows in our garden or what I bring home :) If you look around in some of the London florists you get great decor and little things for the season. Most of your decoration is on our front door and in the living room though! The rest of the house gets slightly neglected :)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 05:31:13 pm »
What sort of decorations do you have throughout your home in autumn?

Just giving a bump to another old thread...

I have always loved Halloween, but lately I've been wanting to use some more sophisticated decorations than the commercially available plastic bats, ghosties, skeletons  and so on.  Of course there's pumpkins and gourds which don't have to be tacky, but I'm not very skilled at carving them.

Last year I made a wreath using up some old craft bits I had laying around (offcuts of jewellery making wire and raffia to make the base of the wreath, and I added lots of leaves I cut out of different offcuts and scraps of coloured craft paper, mainly different shades of brown and also orange).  One of the cats thought it looked good enough to have a nibble. :D:

This year I intend to make a lot of masquerade type masks, mainly the ones which just cover the eyes, out of some leftover card.  I hope to try some papier mache to give them that contoured mask shape.  I haven't decided on the colour scheme yet, but I may just stick to black and white since I'm aiming for a bit more sophisticated than, say, orange and purple.  I think I will probably then string the masks on a ribbon or something to make a garland to hang up, and I may also make a few odd ones which I put handles on which will then just be dotted around the room.  I'm hoping it'll look quite good.  :)

Just to add as well that I've always yearned to have garlands of greenery, maybe ivy or boughs of fir, all around the room for Yule, but have had to settle for some commercially made fake foil holly garlands together with a handful of little fake ivy wreaths which I lay out on the table and in the middles of which I sit some candle holders with battery operated tea lights (we have 2 cats so I stick to fake candles for decoration for fear of fire - also these were our wedding centrepieces at which venue real candles were not allowed, and so these ones have sentimental value).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:31:45 pm by Pickle »
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 06:37:43 pm »

I was going to reply to this before, but I forgot ... :whis:

I've done the orange/gold/russet color scheme before, though this year I've gone for blue-and-silver mostly because I have a new table runner in those colors. There's also an association with cooler and cloudier weather there.

I do have some silk sunflowers and a gilded pumpkin set up, as well as a set of brass salt'n'pepper shakers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 07:22:26 pm »
Quote from: Pickle;179441
I have always loved Halloween, but lately I've been wanting to use some more sophisticated decorations than the commercially available plastic bats, ghosties, skeletons  and so on.  Of course there's pumpkins and gourds which don't have to be tacky, but I'm not very skilled at carving them.

We don't decorate for Halloween, mainly because we know it would turn into a money and time sink because we really do Christmas and we know our weaknesses. :)

This year I intend to make a lot of masquerade type masks, mainly the ones which just cover the eyes, out of some leftover card.  I hope to try some papier mache to give them that contoured mask shape.  I haven't decided on the colour scheme yet, but I may just stick to black and white since I'm aiming for a bit more sophisticated than, say, orange and purple.  I think I will probably then string the masks on a ribbon or something to make a garland to hang up, and I may also make a few odd ones which I put handles on which will then just be dotted around the room.  I'm hoping it'll look quite good.  :)

This sounds really neat. Neither Lyric or I are crafty enough to pull off anything like this, but I'd love to see pictures when you get this made.

We have decorated the dining room (which is more for show that use) for autumn for the first time ever. Lyric inherited seasonal dining room decorations when her mom died last year and she is continuing to use them in honor of her mom.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:28:37 am »

I too grew up in a home that did a lot of decorating for Christmas, and I always loved it.  We have a pretty big box of (mostly inherited) Christmas decorations, and since I am the only Pagan in a house of atheists, I get to decorate as I please!

I pretty much always try to keep our kitchen/dining table set for the seasons....we don't have a lot of tablewear though, so I at least try to put the best tablecloth/placemats out that I have (also pretty much all inherited, though I managed to find a lovely Halloween table runner on clearance a few days ago....it lives over my closet door throughout the bulk of the year!).  I keep candles on the table too, and try to cycle them to something that fits the season.

I also found a lovely little ceramic pumpkin at a dollar store on post holiday clearance, that celebrates harvest (and not Halloween), so I put that out at this time of year.

Quote from: BunnyMaz;11327

I have a pair of indoor-only cats that treat anything too fragile, crinkly or attackable as a special treat for them.  It's bad enough what they do if I put a tree up in Winter, so I try to avoid things they may want to play with too much!  That means no dried seed pods or mini pumpkins, no bowls of pebbles, and no cut flowers or other greenery.  The last time I set a vase of flowers out, my boy cat carefully chewed the flower off of every stem, leaving me a lovely surprise vase of sticks the next morning!

I am not the only one!  We have two indoor cats as well, and my decorating (and altar...) ideas always have to keep them in mind, as they are quite willing to get up on pretty much any surface in the house, especially when tempted by food bits or drink (so I haven't found a way to leave out offerings yet).  I can get away with garlands if I hang them high (I garland up our curtain rods in all the rooms, and the tops of bookshelves).
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 11:32:32 am »

In my front room I have a plant stand by the door; there I placed potted fall plants, pumpkins, and wrapped a fall leaf garland through the iron grating around them. On the mini fridge I put another potted fall arrangement. Also, on the hutch, I have an antique basin and pitcher which I filled with more of the fall leaves, and set two ceramic pumpkins on either side.

In the kitchen I changed out my salt and pepper shakers. I have a set of owl shakers that go by the stove, and squirrel shakers that go on the table. I also have a squirrel candy dish on the table that I keep filled with fall candy (candy corn, etc). On the kitchen island I have my owl candle holder, and on the walls I hung wood carvings of harvest women carrying pumpkins and leaves.

In the living room I hung more wall decorations ("Happy Fall", images of leaves, pumpkins, acorns).  I switched out the summer throw blankets on the couch for the ones that are fall-colored.  I also placed ceramic pumpkins on the entertainment shelving. Last but not least, I have my candles with fall inspired scents.

October 1st I'll be adding my Halloween decorations, and then Nov 1st I'll rotate these out for Thanksgiving ones.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags: