Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Samhain Plans?  (Read 3070 times)

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
Samhain Plans?
« on: October 01, 2020, 06:05:29 pm »
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what everyone is going to do for Samhain. I'm going to get a pumpkin and paint it. Last year I painted it with my nephew, but this year I won't be able to because of Covid. I also am going to try to make a Halloween quilt with my dad. I've also got to put up my Halloween decorations this Saturday. My parents aren't too interested in Halloween like I am. I am finally going to do a year and a day period since I really never did one. I am a solitary, but I couldn't really figure out what pantheon was calling to me until I found Lord Anubis. So I figure now is the time. So what do you plan on doing?
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Samhain Plans?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 06:32:54 pm »
I was just wondering what everyone is going to do for Samhain.

I am totally doing my grocery run in costume.  ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 07:26:13 pm »
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what everyone is going to do for Samhain. I'm going to get a pumpkin and paint it. Last year I painted it with my nephew, but this year I won't be able to because of Covid. I also am going to try to make a Halloween quilt with my dad. I've also got to put up my Halloween decorations this Saturday. My parents aren't too interested in Halloween like I am. I am finally going to do a year and a day period since I really never did one. I am a solitary, but I couldn't really figure out what pantheon was calling to me until I found Lord Anubis. So I figure now is the time. So what do you plan on doing?

Our tradition's Samhain is the one ritual we do basically the same way every year (with modifications for number of people - and more relevant, number of people to do certain roles). Which works fine, usually, and this year... um.

I have been thinking a lot (since about May, actually) about how to do bits that will work remotely, and be meaningful, and I think I've got some ideas now. We're doing a planning discussion about it (so people know what to expect) on the 17th, when we'll nail down the final details.

I am excited that we can do this Saturday evening (it's the one ritual I want to do on the day of whenever possible, rather than nearest convenient day). I'm taking the following week off to recover, though, because I expect ritual to hit me harder this year, and for me to be more spacy than usual in general. (There have been two deaths in my work life this year that are hitting hard for me, and the 3rd is the anniversary of my father's death which is different for being 30 years this year, but remains a time when I want extra space and time for processing. And my mother's had health issues - thankfully, not as serious as they might be. But basically, taking time off then seemed smart.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 07:30:50 pm »
So what do you plan on doing?
A lot less than usual...

For Halloween (secular) -No parties, or trick-or-treaters this year, so it's going to be low-key. The decorations are going up this weekend.  The highlight is probably going to be an at-home movie night with seasonal treats and hard cider.  Will be dressing in costume for any online work meetings the last week of the month (because I can).

For Samhain (spiritual) - I'm going to do a scaled-back version of my usual things - a dumb supper for the beloved dead, roll call for those who have passed this year, and deity offerings. Trying to figure out how to honor the COVID dead without feeling completely overwhelmed/hopeless/hulk-smash angry. 

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 03:39:49 pm »
I am totally doing my grocery run in costume.  ;D

Cool! I went shopping on Amazon and found these beautiful Vintage Halloween Cards. I also ordered a sign to hang on the door that says 'The Witch is In.' Lol! I also got a centerpiece for the table. My parents really don't decorate for Halloween, but we will this year.
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Hrútsvinr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Torch and Hailstone
  • Religion: Norse/Slavic Polytheism
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 07:31:27 am »
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering what everyone is going to do for Samhain. ...

It's Spring where I am so technically I should be celebrating something like Beltane. Maybe I'll try my hand at making soda bread like I've wanted to for so long. I've never made bread before!

Usually I just roll with the 'spooky season' theme. It's much easier to go with the autumn décor that's everywhere for Halloween...even though we barely celebrate Halloween here...and it's getting hot outside...
I will definitely be eating lots of chocolate.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 02:46:01 pm »
A lot less than usual...

Yes, sadly, same here -- I usually talk one of our friends into hosting a party, with an offer of contributing food & music/decorations (we tried hosting at our place once, but turns out that more than 4, maybe 5, people in our tiny place is just a pain).  No such party this year, though there may be something happening via Discord at least.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 10:44:35 am »
Hey everyone!

Been meaning to add to this for a while, nothing like leaving it to the last minute but it's been busy here (and anyway that's very much my pattern, I cannot deny).

So I decorated our place a few weeks back with both Autumn decorations and Halloween themed ones, and have been watching Halloween themed films and TV programmes for the past few weeks too.

I've also been doing a bit of crafting -- among other things we were given a wooden construct-it-yourself model VW campervan some time ago, and I've finally painted it to look like the Mystery Machine from the Scooby Doo cartoons (it's not quite finished yet, I've still got the lettering on the side to do but been putting it off as it's the bit I'm most likely to muck up).  We were also given a model wooden boat some time ago, and I've very simply made it into a ghost ship with cotton wool mist wisps, and a ghost captain. Very simple but I'm actually quite pleased with the result.

Today I've offered a share of my lunch to the ancestors, including bread, salt, honey and wine (well, mead).  And I'll soon be saying prayers for the departed and making an offering to the ancestors & asking for their blessing, my grandmother's in particular as I'm in need of her strength at present in my life.

My friend and I are meeting in about an hour or so for tea and celebration; this is a bonus (for me, that is) as usually she'd be with her relatives overseas at this time of year but with the pandemic she's been unable to go this time.  I don't know what my friend has planned for this, but I'm intending to take along a copy of some of the prayers already said today, in case there's an opportunity to say them again (which is quite likely).

After I get home from my friends I'll be lighting at least one candle in honour of the departed and the ancestors, and keeping at least one going until such time as I retire for the night (it may or may not be a late night, depending on how the evening's activities go - there's a possible 'party' over Discord which my husband plans to join in on and I'll be sort of peripheral to that).

Tomorrow begins my season of rememberance, so there'll be more offerings & prayers and I'll be changng the decorations up for the day, though beyond that I haven't really firmed up the details for tomorrow, onward.

So, having posted before that I was going to be doing less than usual I've actually since stepped things up for the first time on Samhain, and am quite pleased with my schedule.  Hopefully all will go according to plan, and have the desired result.

Enjoy your Samhaim, whatever you're doing.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 11:38:19 am »
I've also been doing a bit of crafting -- among other things we were given a wooden construct-it-yourself model VW campervan some time ago, and I've finally painted it to look like the Mystery Machine from the Scooby Doo cartoons (it's not quite finished yet, I've still got the lettering on the side to do but been putting it off as it's the bit I'm most likely to muck up).

I adore this idea. Might have to add it to my list of winter projects.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 12:04:33 pm »
Trying to figure out how to honor the COVID dead without feeling completely overwhelmed/hopeless/hulk-smash angry.

Figured this one out as I was making soul cakes this morning.  Since Daylight Saving Time ends tonight, I've decided to use the extra hour-that-isn't for working through this one, along with the emotions that happen.  Now, off to find things that I can smash.

Oíche Shamhna Shona Daoibh!
Happy Samhain to y'all!

Neil deGrasse Tyson

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 08:19:32 am »
I've actually since stepped things up for the first time on Samhain

I had another bonus in the end, my friend gave me a banishing spell which I had a go at, and so far I'm feeling good about the outcome.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: