Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos  (Read 15072 times)

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 07:13:31 am »
Quote from: RandallS;24375
At the end of October/first days in November comes a collection of holidays themed around the Dead/Spirits/etc: Samhain in Celtic Paganism, All Souls Day in the largest form of Christianity, Día de los Muertos in Mexico, and Halloween in the US. Which (if any) do you celebrate? Why (and how) do you celebrate it?

When I was younger, my Mom forbid us from celebrating Halloween in any way because we went to a very fundamentalist church. She loosened up her stance as we got older, but I always regretted not being part of the festivities. (I think my Mom is actually pagan at heart, but that's another post.)

After I started going to a Methodist church, I realized that All Souls' Day was a pretty cool concept. I plan to celebrate by dressing up, handing out candy, and seeing my husband's family. They recently lost a family member, so I imagine we will be honoring him. At home, I plan to light a candle for everyone we have lost recently, and one for my ancestors in general. I will thank them for their contribution to my life and send them peace.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Ladywhitewolf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist Pagan
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2015, 11:14:24 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;181641
When I was younger, my Mom forbid us from celebrating Halloween in any way because we went to a very fundamentalist church. She loosened up her stance as we got older, but I always regretted not being part of the festivities. (I think my Mom is actually pagan at heart, but that's another post.)

After I started going to a Methodist church, I realized that All Souls' Day was a pretty cool concept. I plan to celebrate by dressing up, handing out candy, and seeing my husband's family. They recently lost a family member, so I imagine we will be honoring him. At home, I plan to light a candle for everyone we have lost recently, and one for my ancestors in general. I will thank them for their contribution to my life and send them peace.

I celebrate Halloween and Samhain.  Last night I was supposed to go to a ritual but the weather here in Austin, Texas was scary.  A couple of tornado warnings, flash flooding.  The creek near our house flooded in less than 30 minutes. I almost had to evacuate.  Tomorrow the ritual has been rescheduled so I am planning to go.  I am really excited.
-My paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51
-My Pagan Playground page: http://www.pagan-playground.com/whitewolf-1
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he\'ll be a mile away, and barefoot.

Floofy Bunny

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »
Quote from: Ladywhitewolf;181748
I celebrate Halloween and Samhain.  Last night I was supposed to go to a ritual but the weather here in Austin, Texas was scary.  A couple of tornado warnings, flash flooding.  The creek near our house flooded in less than 30 minutes. I almost had to evacuate.  Tomorrow the ritual has been rescheduled so I am planning to go.  I am really excited.

As a fellow Texan (North Texas, Denton), I wish you the best in this weather! I was so surprised when I heard about the tornado warnings. I was texting my bestie and she was nervous, but I was like well, it's not tornado season (thinking it's not warm enough), but she mentioned the tornado warnings in Austin. Take care!

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 01:27:29 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;180935
snip snip

To continue with what I noted earlier: I did manage to do most of that. I did hand out candy to trick-or-treaters a bit, managed my tabletop campaign, and I did a small ritual before bedtime for the gods of the underworld. Next day, I did a ritual for the heroes and blessed dead. And today I did a ritual for my ancestors as a whole, in particular burning a piece of paper with inscriptions on it referring to my grandmother, with invocations to Hermes, Hekate, and the gods my ancestors to ferry her with surety to the otherworld.
You see, the day before Halloween, I had to bury my grandma. She died on the 26th. It was a rather strange and busy day, but my thoughts turned immediately towards the impending Allhallowtide. It's a festival all about conquering death through humour, mirth, and amity. The closeness of family and friends, the fun of games and gatherings, and the good memories we have of dead loved ones.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »
Quote from: Louisvillian;181805
I did manage to do most of that.

I just wanted to say, I'm sorry for your loss of your Grandma - I hope you're continuing to cope okay.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

cletus90851

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 02:11:10 am »
Quote from: RandallS;24375
At the end of October/first days in November comes a collection of holidays themed around the Dead/Spirits/etc: Samhain in Celtic Paganism, All Souls Day in the largest form of Christianity, Día de los Muertos in Mexico, and Halloween in the US. Which (if any) do you celebrate? Why (and how) do you celebrate it?

I celebrate halloween as purely secular.

Tags: