collapse

Author Topic: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos  (Read 11781 times)

MeadowRae

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Oct 2015
  • Location: West Virginia
  • Posts: 410
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 26
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 07:13:31 am »
Quote from: RandallS;24375
At the end of October/first days in November comes a collection of holidays themed around the Dead/Spirits/etc: Samhain in Celtic Paganism, All Souls Day in the largest form of Christianity, Día de los Muertos in Mexico, and Halloween in the US. Which (if any) do you celebrate? Why (and how) do you celebrate it?

 
When I was younger, my Mom forbid us from celebrating Halloween in any way because we went to a very fundamentalist church. She loosened up her stance as we got older, but I always regretted not being part of the festivities. (I think my Mom is actually pagan at heart, but that's another post.)

After I started going to a Methodist church, I realized that All Souls' Day was a pretty cool concept. I plan to celebrate by dressing up, handing out candy, and seeing my husband's family. They recently lost a family member, so I imagine we will be honoring him. At home, I plan to light a candle for everyone we have lost recently, and one for my ancestors in general. I will thank them for their contribution to my life and send them peace.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Ladywhitewolf

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 122
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist Pagan
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2015, 11:14:24 pm »
Quote from: ViolaRae;181641
When I was younger, my Mom forbid us from celebrating Halloween in any way because we went to a very fundamentalist church. She loosened up her stance as we got older, but I always regretted not being part of the festivities. (I think my Mom is actually pagan at heart, but that's another post.)

After I started going to a Methodist church, I realized that All Souls' Day was a pretty cool concept. I plan to celebrate by dressing up, handing out candy, and seeing my husband's family. They recently lost a family member, so I imagine we will be honoring him. At home, I plan to light a candle for everyone we have lost recently, and one for my ancestors in general. I will thank them for their contribution to my life and send them peace.

 
I celebrate Halloween and Samhain.  Last night I was supposed to go to a ritual but the weather here in Austin, Texas was scary.  A couple of tornado warnings, flash flooding.  The creek near our house flooded in less than 30 minutes. I almost had to evacuate.  Tomorrow the ritual has been rescheduled so I am planning to go.  I am really excited.
-My paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51
-My Pagan Playground page: http://www.pagan-playground.com/whitewolf-1
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he\'ll be a mile away, and barefoot.

Floofy Bunny

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Oct 2015
  • Posts: 77
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2015, 04:34:01 pm »
Quote from: Ladywhitewolf;181748
I celebrate Halloween and Samhain.  Last night I was supposed to go to a ritual but the weather here in Austin, Texas was scary.  A couple of tornado warnings, flash flooding.  The creek near our house flooded in less than 30 minutes. I almost had to evacuate.  Tomorrow the ritual has been rescheduled so I am planning to go.  I am really excited.


As a fellow Texan (North Texas, Denton), I wish you the best in this weather! I was so surprised when I heard about the tornado warnings. I was texting my bestie and she was nervous, but I was like well, it's not tornado season (thinking it's not warm enough), but she mentioned the tornado warnings in Austin. Take care!

Louisvillian

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: May 2013
  • Posts: 388
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 44
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 01:27:29 am »
Quote from: Louisvillian;180935
snip snip

To continue with what I noted earlier: I did manage to do most of that. I did hand out candy to trick-or-treaters a bit, managed my tabletop campaign, and I did a small ritual before bedtime for the gods of the underworld. Next day, I did a ritual for the heroes and blessed dead. And today I did a ritual for my ancestors as a whole, in particular burning a piece of paper with inscriptions on it referring to my grandmother, with invocations to Hermes, Hekate, and the gods my ancestors to ferry her with surety to the otherworld.
You see, the day before Halloween, I had to bury my grandma. She died on the 26th. It was a rather strange and busy day, but my thoughts turned immediately towards the impending Allhallowtide. It's a festival all about conquering death through humour, mirth, and amity. The closeness of family and friends, the fun of games and gatherings, and the good memories we have of dead loved ones.

PerditaPickle

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Aug 2015
  • Location: UK
  • Posts: 710
  • Country: england
  • Total likes: 131
  • What is this Personal Text then...?
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry-leaning learner
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »
Quote from: Louisvillian;181805
I did manage to do most of that.


I just wanted to say, I'm sorry for your loss of your Grandma - I hope you're continuing to cope okay.
"If I get on, Susan thought, it'll all start again.  I'll be out of the light and into the world beyond this one.  I'll fall off the tightrope.
But a voice inside her said, You want to, though...don't you...?
Ten seconds later, there was only the snow."
(Terry Pratchett's Hogfather)

cletus90851

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jan 2016
  • Posts: 45
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Samhain, Halloween, All Souls Day, Día de los Muertos
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2016, 02:11:10 am »
Quote from: RandallS;24375
At the end of October/first days in November comes a collection of holidays themed around the Dead/Spirits/etc: Samhain in Celtic Paganism, All Souls Day in the largest form of Christianity, Día de los Muertos in Mexico, and Halloween in the US. Which (if any) do you celebrate? Why (and how) do you celebrate it?

 I celebrate halloween as purely secular.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
20 Replies
4099 Views
Last post November 17, 2015, 04:51:26 pm
by PerditaPickle
22 Replies
2023 Views
Last post November 01, 2013, 01:38:42 am
by EmissaryOfMinong
Dia huit, I'm Silver

Started by SilverStar Introductions

3 Replies
683 Views
Last post October 27, 2015, 12:23:10 pm
by Micheál
25 Replies
4409 Views
Last post November 09, 2016, 01:08:23 pm
by shadowsiren
6 Replies
1211 Views
Last post November 02, 2016, 05:17:55 pm
by mortarandpestle

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 47
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall