Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Plans for Mabon/Autumn Eqinox  (Read 2203 times)

Grace

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Plans for Mabon/Autumn Eqinox
« on: September 22, 2018, 07:14:43 am »
So, for those that will be celebrating Malbon/Autumn Equinox this weekend, what are everyone's plans for it? How do you like to celebrate or mark the holiday?

For me, I was a little caught off guard as I knew the equinox was to fall on the 23rd here in Ireland, but I didn't realise it would be in the early hours of the morning, so I had originally planned to celebrate tomorrow evening, but after realising the equinox will happen at around 4am tonight for me, I've moved my plans up to this evening to be closer to the time.

My festivities include baking some rubarb chelsea buns with vanilla mascarpone (recipe from here: https://www.cloudykitchen.com/blog/2018/6/18/rhubarb-sticky-buns-with-vanilla-bean-mascarpone-frosting) I've never made these before so fingers crossed they turn out well. I plan to head to the local market soon to get the ingredients plus pick up some pagan books that have finally come into my local library, come home and make the dough.

While it's proving for an hour and a half I'm going to give my kitchen/living area (which I'll use as my sacred space later) a good clean. During the second prove of the dough I'll cleans my work space, cleanse myself, and set up my alter with some seasonal fruit and veg from the market too.

After that I plan to hold a thanksgiving ritual/meditation where I focus on the good things that have happened so far this year and give thanks for them, and visualize what I want to see happening in the future and how I can achieve that. My baked goods will serve as an offering, then I'm gonna eat some and possibly watch Practical Magic, an old favorite from my childhood. So yeah, busy day ahead but very excited as this will be the first holiday I have consciously observed in a long time.

I'd love to hear how other people celebrate the holiday and what works for you!

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Plans for Mabon/Autumn Eqinox
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 08:23:53 am »
So, for those that will be celebrating Malbon/Autumn Equinox this weekend, what are everyone's plans for it? How do you like to celebrate or mark the holiday?

*snip*

I was just on my way over here to make this exact post, albeit mine would have been a bit shorter :P I don't have the same lovely tale telling abilities you do :P

I was unaware that the Equinox fell today until YESTERDAY. But I had already made sure Gareth made plans to Be Out Of The House after I am done work (early!) so I can do a deep clean. Which works! Its almost a full moon here, so this deep clean will help me prep for the first in what I hope to be a long series of self-informative active meditation sessions.

Since I don't have an active path of worship yet I'm spending a little time focusing on me. Self worship until a deity gets sick of watching that and gives me a hint, and if that doesn't happen I plan to move my worship outwards from me to people in general. But thats a ramble I don't have time for, also that is off topic in this thread :P

What else is crack-a-lackin' this Equinox guys!?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 02:59:16 pm »
How do you like to celebrate or mark the holiday?

It's also my birthday, so my general goals involve doing something fun, and having good food and good conversation somewhere in the mix.

(This year, the good fun was getting to go see the touring company production of Hamilton that just hit Boston this week last night - it was fantastic, and also a musical that leaves you thinking about so many different pieces.)

This morning and early afternoon, I reset my altars and shrine, set up some ongoing magical workings, and later I'm going to roast a chicken, because it's finally cool enough to have the oven on that long. (And also, roast chicken is yummy.) Last week, I did some work on cleaning and organising, so things feel easy to manage.

We're not doing group ritual work, because I was going to be out absurdly late on Friday, but when I've done group stuff, I've aimed at food, fellowship, community.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 03:03:26 pm »

To be honest this year I'll probably spend today watching Outlander and doing my homework. I had thought I might try to find a way to make an apple crisp that fits within my current dietary restrictions, but that means going out and buying apples, which I forgot to do on the way home on Friday. So I don't think that's happening this weekend.

I might try to do it next weekend, though, and that would count for me as part of Mabon/Fall Equinox. (I see the days as seasons more than specific days, so I don't worry too much about getting the exact date correct for celebrations/observances.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 03:19:26 pm »
It's also my birthday, so my general goals involve doing something fun, and having good food and good conversation somewhere in the mix.

Happy birthday!

Edit To Add: Happy birthday to Eastling and Pickle, as well!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:22:04 pm by ehbowen »
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

LadyBug

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Lost/Searching
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 04:47:27 pm »
Happy birthday!

Edit To Add: Happy birthday to Eastling and Pickle, as well!

So many birthday babies today!

Happy Anniversary of your Birth to all to whom it applies :D

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 06:25:34 pm »
How do you like to celebrate or mark the holiday?

So far, I'm marking this fall equinox with black coffee and some painkillers. At this rate it's gonna be a slow day.
I'd wanted to make a vat of pasta, or maybe a batch of colcannon & biscuits. But I don't know how much I'm gonna get done.
Should feel a little more limber tomorrow, so maybe we'll take a drive out to apple country.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 07:07:36 pm »

Not planned, but I ended up having a pair of my dearest friends over for a brunch of chocolate croissants, whole wheat cinnamon raisin French toast smothered in strawberries and maple syrup, and cheesy eggs...washed down with mimosa after mimosa, as we watched about a hundred bees in the garden have a feast of their own, now that the goldenrod is blooming.

Five hours later, we were still at it. Not a bad way to say farewell to summer and welcome, Autumn.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 07:19:57 am »
Not planned, but I ended up having a pair of my dearest friends over for a brunch of chocolate croissants, whole wheat cinnamon raisin French toast smothered in strawberries and maple syrup, and cheesy eggs...washed down with mimosa after mimosa, as we watched about a hundred bees in the garden have a feast of their own, now that the goldenrod is blooming.

Five hours later, we were still at it. Not a bad way to say farewell to summer and welcome, Autumn.

Sounds like a lot more fun than I've had. This weekend my school scheduled a mandatory 3-day intensive prep class for the NCLEX exam, so I've been doing that. The good news is that I did get to celebrate the holiday early last weekend, with a Blue Star grove in which I've become a seeker. There was much food and wine shared at that table. :)

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 02:36:50 pm »

Well, this is year, I'm going to actually do a ceremony that I just finished writing. I know I'll fret beforehand if it's good enough, but I have a good feeling about it. I decided to wait until Sunday instead of Saturday because there's the full moon as well, and I have some magic workings I wanna do...

As for the ceremony, I baked three loaves of whole wheat bread, with one destined to be used during the ceremony as an offering (the other two for general consumption), and I have pomegranate seeds, apples, and wine that are also for offerings. During the work part of the ritual, I'll be reading the myth of Persephone's descent, thinking about how Dionysos is connected with the equinox, and then doing a Tarot reading for myself (clicky here). Then I'll feast!!!
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go