Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Looking ahead to Up All Night 2020 for the December solstice  (Read 2023 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Looking ahead to Up All Night 2020 for the December solstice
« on: September 05, 2020, 02:00:52 pm »
Hello all,

Hope everyone had a very special June solstice and looking forward to the September equinox.

Existing members (at least those who've been here for over 6 or so months) will recall that the December solstice is a special occasion here at The Cauldron.  This is because TC holds its biggest event of the year: Up All Night, A Technopagan Solstice Celebration.  And if you're new, then we'd like to make you aware of this event, because it's always well worth joining in the revels (or, for some, it's more of a vigil) on that day.

This year the event will be from sunset on Sunday, December 20th, to sunrise on Monday, December 21st.

We hope that starting promotion of this now will allow a bit of time for newer members, and those who may've been absent for a while, to (re)familiarise themselves with the forum.  Also, to get (re)acquainted with the community ahead of the big night in December.

As well, this gives us a bit of lead time to figure out ways to promote UAN beyond TC's existing membership.  This thread is the place to present and discuss ideas for that.  We've talked about that in previous years, but often had too little time to implement most of the ideas, unfortunately.

Thank you to you Eric (@ehbowen) for having already brought this up previously and made at least one proposal in this thread (and my apologies for not starting this here thread as soon as previously indicated!)

So, put the dates in your diaries, book the time off work &/or whatever else you need.  And get those thinking caps on everyone!   :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Looking ahead to Up All Night 2020 for the December solstice
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 02:15:08 pm »
Thank you to you Eric (@ehbowen) for having already brought this up previously and made at least one proposal in this thread (and my apologies for not starting this here thread as soon as previously indicated!)

I can handle the technical end of things but I need your help with the creative end of things. I believe that I do still have the logo which I started on a couple years back saved; let me see if I can find it and bring it up to date.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 03:25:24 pm »
I can handle the technical end of things but I need your help with the creative end of things. I believe that I do still have the logo which I started on a couple years back saved; let me see if I can find it and bring it up to date.

Okay, here's what I have, brought up to date:

First, the button (which I have linked to the present very simple and temporary web site):

Second, the business card, formatted for the PrimoPrint service in the US. You can have it printed up by your favorite business card printer as is, or if you want me to do it I will have it printed and shipped to you for actual cost plus a 10% handling fee (payment by Zelle, Popmoney, or (as a last resort!) Paypal).
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Finally, here is a link to the logo in Scalable Vector Graphics format if you want to create your own media (fingers crossed...I don't have an SVG drawing program!): http://www.upallnight.top/upallnight2020logo.svg

Sorry, but that's ALL I can do this weekend. I've got another project that's got to be completed before work tomorrow night!

----Eric
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:27:42 pm by ehbowen »
--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 03:49:25 pm »
Sorry, but that's ALL I can do this weekend. I've got another project that's got to be completed before work tomorrow night!

----Eric

My goodness, that's way more than I was expecting at the drop of a hat -- awesome!
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 01:01:03 am »
My goodness, that's way more than I was expecting at the drop of a hat -- awesome!

Just thought I would bump this; is there any interest in developing the ideas further? (Read: Does anyone have something they wish to contribute?)
--------Eric H. Bowen

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:08:01 am »
Hello all,

Hope everyone had a very special June solstice and looking forward to the September equinox.

Existing members (at least those who've been here for over 6 or so months) will recall that the December solstice is a special occasion here at The Cauldron.  This is because TC holds its biggest event of the year: Up All Night, A Technopagan Solstice Celebration.  And if you're new, then we'd like to make you aware of this event, because it's always well worth joining in the revels (or, for some, it's more of a vigil) on that day.

This year the event will be from sunset on Sunday, December 20th, to sunrise on Monday, December 21st.

We hope that starting promotion of this now will allow a bit of time for newer members, and those who may've been absent for a while, to (re)familiarise themselves with the forum.  Also, to get (re)acquainted with the community ahead of the big night in December.

As well, this gives us a bit of lead time to figure out ways to promote UAN beyond TC's existing membership.  This thread is the place to present and discuss ideas for that.  We've talked about that in previous years, but often had too little time to implement most of the ideas, unfortunately.

So, put the dates in your diaries, book the time off work &/or whatever else you need.  And get those thinking caps on everyone!   :)

First of all: UAN is coming!!!! YAY!!!!

As for promoting it, I think the biggest question is: Whatever the promotional techniques (ads, web buttons, flyers...hats off to ehbowen's efforts), how do we get them where the target audience--other pagans and interested parties--can see them? In the past we've gotten a mention in (I think the Pagan Community Notes section of) The Wild Hunt, and that would seem squarely aimed at the right folks...though it's impossible to know how many new eyeballs we got as a result. Certainly I think that's worth continuing.

Also, it would be good to have "a hook"--something new and exciting we're doing with UAN this year, to give it a little extra push on people's agendas and so that pagan press who might talk it up in advance don't shrug it off as "oh, this again." For example, I would dearly love to have video contributions from Cauldronites around the world of how their solstice is going; a huge part of the fun of UAN is that collaborative feeling of sharing the moment across the globe. I've tried to add something like that a little bit more each year, and certainly with smart phones everywhere and the world's amazing connectivity, with things like Facebook Live, etc., this should be more doable now than ever. Any thoughts?

Finally, we should be sure to promote this among ourselves! In past years I've tried to keep a thread going periodically in the run-up to UAN, starting right after Halloween/Samhain/Dia de los Muertos...but maybe once the donation drive is done, we can shout that UAN is coming from our own rooftop, literally, in the form of a pinned banner at the top of our web pages just as we do for the donation drive.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 04:12:50 pm »
As for promoting it, I think the biggest question is: Whatever the promotional techniques (ads, web buttons, flyers...hats off to ehbowen's efforts), how do we get them where the target audience--other pagans and interested parties--can see them? In the past we've gotten a mention in (I think the Pagan Community Notes section of) The Wild Hunt, and that would seem squarely aimed at the right folks...though it's impossible to know how many new eyeballs we got as a result. Certainly I think that's worth continuing.

Also, it would be good to have "a hook"--something new and exciting we're doing with UAN this year, to give it a little extra push on people's agendas and so that pagan press who might talk it up in advance don't shrug it off as "oh, this again." For example, I would dearly love to have video contributions from Cauldronites around the world of how their solstice is going; a huge part of the fun of UAN is that collaborative feeling of sharing the moment across the globe. I've tried to add something like that a little bit more each year, and certainly with smart phones everywhere and the world's amazing connectivity, with things like Facebook Live, etc., this should be more doable now than ever. Any thoughts?

Finally, we should be sure to promote this among ourselves! In past years I've tried to keep a thread going periodically in the run-up to UAN, starting right after Halloween/Samhain/Dia de los Muertos...but maybe once the donation drive is done, we can shout that UAN is coming from our own rooftop, literally, in the form of a pinned banner at the top of our web pages just as we do for the donation drive.

So, I note that you've got your new potential 'hook' with the streaming videos call-out, therefore I thought I'd chime in (again) to say that I think the Wild Hunt sounds like a great idea.  (Sadly I'm not sure I'll be volunteering for the streaming thing myself, being the technophobe that I am!  Eeeek)

And I also like the suggestion of the pinned banner after the donation drive is wrapped up, too.
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: up all night uan