collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: June Solstice to be closely followed by annular eclipse (and new moon)  (Read 1894 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Here's a couple of places where you can read about the eclipse:-

Earthsky.org and Timeanddate.com

It won't be visible for those of you in the US, unfortunately, as taking place overnight (and it won't be visible for me here in the UK either).

But it's also new moon closely following the solstice too.

And finally there's a couple of other events (including earthshine on the moon) which may be visible in the latter half of June, which I could only find in one place here (apologies for source, being Forbes).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch

It won't be visible for those of you in the US, unfortunately, as taking place overnight (and it won't be visible for me here in the UK either).

And finally there's a couple of other events (including earthshine on the moon) which may be visible in the latter half of June, which I could only find in one place here (apologies for source, being Forbes).

It's certainly a good month for sky watching. 

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry every time someone claims it's a sign or omen that the new moon is happening at the same time as the solar eclipse.  *sigh* It's certainly a sign that we need better science education.  ::)

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry every time someone claims it's a sign or omen that the new moon is happening at the same time as the solar eclipse.  *sigh* It's certainly a sign that we need better science education.  ::)

Things known and discussed in 1836 books of tactile images for the blind, even! We used to be slightly better at this.

It is unusual to have it quite so close to Solstice. I eyed that last month when I realised the timing, and I'm taking a long weekend so I can do some foundational magical work around some long-term goals. (And also do a bunch of book editing, which is what I do on vacation.)

Bri Saussy, whose stuff I quite like, did a webcall about the current eclipse season (which she gave permission to share, that's a Dropbox link) which has some good points about how to navigate. (She also talks about one of her offerings for it, but that's a minor part of the total call.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he

Bri Saussy, whose stuff I quite like, did a webcall about the current eclipse season (which she gave permission to share, that's a Dropbox link) which has some good points about how to navigate. (She also talks about one of her offerings for it, but that's a minor part of the total call.)

Thanks! My usual source for astrology stuff has been busy so this is good to have.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
It is unusual to have it quite so close to Solstice. I eyed that last month when I realised the timing, and I'm taking a long weekend so I can do some foundational magical work around some long-term goals. (And also do a bunch of book editing, which is what I do on vacation.)

Thanks for sharing her talk. She's got a lot of good information there.

I'm usually disinclined to any deeper work during the summer season, but there have been some less-than-subtle hints that an exception needs to be made for this solstice.  So, I am likewise taking a long weekend to lay some magical groundwork (and to get some much needed outdoor time).   I expect that it's going to be an interesting weekend, energetically speaking.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
I'm usually disinclined to any deeper work during the summer season, but there have been some less-than-subtle hints that an exception needs to be made for this solstice. 

I am in the same boat this year, weirdly. I usually feel drawn to deeper work in the winter but this year has been all deeper work, all the time for me, with very clear messages about what traumas I need to heal next and in what order, and a definite "no, this isn't letting up for summer, be prepared to WORK all year long".

So, yeah. Should be interesting.

(And I mean, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, as in my Thing the summer solstice is a Manannan holiday and he's my Underworld god, but uh...I am surprised. Mortals, being surprised by the gods since always, because we are dense.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
I am in the same boat this year, weirdly. I usually feel drawn to deeper work in the winter but this year has been all deeper work, all the time for me, with very clear messages about what traumas I need to heal next and in what order, and a definite "no, this isn't letting up for summer, be prepared to WORK all year long".

Exactly this.  Usually, things are quiet for me after midwinter in terms of work to be done. This year, it's been a non-stop slog  (go figure, a psychopomp staying busy in the midst of a deadly worldwide pandemic, who would have thunk it?).  I suspect that Solstice will be the equivalent of hitting the reset button with a very large, very heavy hammer.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Thanks Perdita for starting this thread! I'm glad I looked for it before making a second one.
Summer Solstice is usually the marking point for me to start relaxing and enjoying myself - both personally and professionally. School ends on June 26, and that's my official start of summer. Typically, over the summer, I'm resting, relaxing, and reflecting on my practices of the past year so as to improve for the following school year. Pagan-wise, I have the feeling that I'll be connecting more with the Gods, and have more creative projects this summer (so basically more work). We'll see what it brings though.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca

Thanks for sharing this information Perdita. Personally I am not a Summer Solstice person. I celebrate it, but I am not a Summer person. I guess it is strange because I was born in the Summer. It is good, because the wheel is starting to turn towards the darker part of the year. I'm a fan of the dark. Lol!
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
It is good, because the wheel is starting to turn towards the darker part of the year. I'm a fan of the dark. Lol!

My husband would agree with you!  :)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags: