collapse

Author Topic: It's coming--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2013  (Read 4318 times)

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: It's coming--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2013
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 03:12:22 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;129217
When I think of the winter solstice, I think of cold. How about cold (or hot, for those in the south)?

I very much like that! Interpretations of "cold" (or for S hemispherites, "hot")

Let's see what other folks think and what other options are thrown out there...
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »
Quote from: Altair;129180
For those who may not be aware, we have an annual tradition here at The Cauldron of celebrating the December solstice--the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere--by staying up all night (or *trying* to stay up all night...or just visiting for part of the night!)

We gather here electronically to shoot the breeze, in chat and in a dedicated thread just for that purpose, and pass the hours passing around all kinds of craziness (stories, recipes--the infamous chocolate mug cake!--photos, links we've found, and generally how the solstice adventure is progressing in our locale). We usually pick a non-theme around which to loosely organize the event. Last year, with the Mayan deadline looming, was a no-brainer: apocalypse now!

But we need a non-theme for this year! Keep in mind this isn't anything set in stone; the night of the solstice, people share whatever they want (it's called a non-theme for a reason). But still, it's nice to have a jumping off point. So...

...who's got a great idea for the non-theme for 2013's edition of Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice?

Nontheme:  MOving, hotel cooking and travel food.

The movers come to pack us up on the 19th and 20th, load the truck on the 21st, my sister and aunt (an over the road bus driver) arrive the evening of the 20th and we roll out sun morning the 22 from san antonio to Morton, in 2 days.  so I;m not staying up all night.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

SunflowerP

• Senior Staff
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;129218
As always, I will be joining in (being a nocturnal creature and all).

This!

I hadn't given it a thought, yet (still working through the breakup stuffs, so I'm more focused on the now and less on looking ahead), but now I'm really looking forward to it!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 08:49:45 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;129242
Nontheme:  MOving, hotel cooking and travel food.

The movers come to pack us up on the 19th and 20th, load the truck on the 21st, my sister and aunt (an over the road bus driver) arrive the evening of the 20th and we roll out sun morning the 22 from san antonio to Morton, in 2 days.  so I;m not staying up all night.

Boo! But I guess it can't be helped. You'll be missed.

Best of luck with the packing and moving! I dread such stuff.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:39 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;129243
This!

I hadn't given it a thought, yet (still working through the breakup stuffs, so I'm more focused on the now and less on looking ahead), but now I'm really looking forward to it!

Sunflower

Sunflower's back, and she's in! YAY!!

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 04:20:41 am »
Quote from: Altair;129252

My first year so I'm excited to hear about it and participate!
And I like the hot/cold nontheme, it applies
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 04:33:31 am »

Nowhere near as exiting, but I should be here for part of it at least (it's the night of my annual Yule meal- it's not often on the actual days).
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 06:56:05 am »
Quote from: Nekomata;129290
My first year so I'm excited to hear about it and participate!
And I like the hot/cold nontheme, it applies

and

Quote from: Dark Midnight;129291
Nowhere near as exiting, but I should be here for part of it at least (it's the night of my annual Yule meal- it's not often on the actual days).

More yays! And DM, I've got a solstice party to attend that night too (and maybe another party besides), so I'll be slipping out for a while...but we've got all night to catch up.

I'm excited that it falls on a Saturday this year; the festive, raucous winter solstices make it *so* much easier to stay awake for the duration.

Naomi J

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Gaelic polytheism, modern druidry, rather attached to Cailleach Bhearra, Narnian heretic...
  • Preferred Pronouns: They or she
It's coming--Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2013
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 07:13:56 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;129291

I'll be there for some of it, though unlikely to get through the whole night. I loved this last year!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Stone Onto Sand

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:28:07 am »
Quote from: Altair;129295
and

More yays! And DM, I've got a solstice party to attend that night too (and maybe another party besides), so I'll be slipping out for a while...but we've got all night to catch up.

I'm excited that it falls on a Saturday this year; the festive, raucous winter solstices make it *so* much easier to stay awake for the duration.

Weekend nights are so much easier. Weekdays are ok (if you're an insomniac, like I am) but it's all the running around the next morning....

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 08:09:01 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;129296
I'll be there for some of it, though unlikely to get through the whole night. I loved this last year!

Me too.
So... cold/hot is an interesting nontheme. So it it only hot for the southern hemisphere and cold for the northern hemisphere, or can we all do both?

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 01:06:57 am »
Quote from: Night Owl;129372
Me too.
So... cold/hot is an interesting nontheme. So it it only hot for the southern hemisphere and cold for the northern hemisphere, or can we all do both?

All do both, why not?

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 08:09:48 am »
Quote from: Altair;129180

I should be able to be here for at least some of it, depends on what my dad is doing.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »

This.

And given the day of the week, I should be able to attend at least part of it.  Wheee!

Brina

Altair

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 05:18:35 pm »
First off, in response to everyone who's chimed in so far: YES! I knew the solstice falling on a Saturday would energize things for us. Looking forward to it.

Second...

Quote from: Dark Midnight;129391
All do both [cold AND hot as a non-theme], why not?

That's the nature of a non-theme: it's just a jumping off point. Use it, modify it, or completely ignore it, as you see fit.

I can totally see me offering my hot chocolate recipe that night against the cold, while one of our Southern Hemisphere friends might offer, say, their iced mate recipe (or somesuch) against the heat! So hot, cold, both, or neither, as you see fit.

Tags: