collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Hellenistic holiday calendars?  (Read 8099 times)

EricLeif

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:31:26 am »
For the past few years I have become more and more studied in my faith and have wanted to show greater and greater reverence for the gods and goddesses of the pantheon but being the only Hellenist I know I have found it very hard to find a calendars or anyone who knows the holidays of the Hellenistic Revival. I did find one site last week that I am not entirely sure on the validity of http://www.Hellenion.org/calendar.html which has a fairly detailed calendar, but I don't know if i should keep looking or not.

Without having a set calendar to follow I have found that my worship has seemed very unstructured and I often found myself participating in the Wiccan and Celtic holidays of those around me with none of my own to celebrate. I do have to admit though I had awesome friends who would incorporate moments of prayer to my gods and goddesses into their holidays but I think it is now time to find my own calendar.

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:41:37 am »
Quote from: EricLeif;127405
For the past few years I have become more and more studied in my faith and have wanted to show greater and greater reverence for the gods and goddesses of the pantheon but being the only Hellenist I know I have found it very hard to find a calendars or anyone who knows the holidays of the Hellenistic Revival. I did find one site last week that I am not entirely sure on the validity of http://www.Hellenion.org/calendar.html which has a fairly detailed calendar, but I don't know if i should keep looking or not.

Without having a set calendar to follow I have found that my worship has seemed very unstructured and I often found myself participating in the Wiccan and Celtic holidays of those around me with none of my own to celebrate. I do have to admit though I had awesome friends who would incorporate moments of prayer to my gods and goddesses into their holidays but I think it is now time to find my own calendar.

Hellenion is a good organization and their calendar is good as well. You can find mine at the link below, which gets updated when research calls for it.

http://baringtheaegis.blogspot.com/p/festivals-by-month.html

The current date, both modern as well as ancient Hellenic, is always displayed in one of the boxes to the side. For more detailed instructions, please see here:

http://baringtheaegis.blogspot.com/2013/07/reader-question-how-to-read-hellenic.html
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

EricLeif

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 02:02:33 am »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;127409
Hellenion is a good organization and their calendar is good as well. You can find mine at the link below, which gets updated when research calls for it.

http://baringtheaegis.blogspot.com/p/festivals-by-month.html

The current date, both modern as well as ancient Hellenic, is always displayed in one of the boxes to the side. For more detailed instructions, please see here:

http://baringtheaegis.blogspot.com/2013/07/reader-question-how-to-read-hellenic.html

Thank you so much for the quick response. I do love the fact that you have it as a Google Calendar which makes it so easy to move things to my personal calendar but I did have a few questions about certain events I see on there that I'm not sure of. Like from my research I know that Khalkeia comes up on the 30th but on the google calendar you have Impure Day starting, is that another name for Khalkeia or a different event? and I have several others, but I didn't know if you would want to be bombarded by them all at once.

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 04:13:33 am »
Quote from: EricLeif;127414
Thank you so much for the quick response. I do love the fact that you have it as a Google Calendar which makes it so easy to move things to my personal calendar but I did have a few questions about certain events I see on there that I'm not sure of. Like from my research I know that Khalkeia comes up on the 30th but on the google calendar you have Impure Day starting, is that another name for Khalkeia or a different event? and I have several others, but I didn't know if you would want to be bombarded by them all at once.

The Khalkeia falls on the 30 of Pyanepsia, meaning on the same date as the Hene kai Nea (or Hekate's Deipnon). That would be... sundown november 3 to sundown november 4 this year. It's never an easy thing to figure out ;-) I'm currently without a laptop making updating the calendar a pain, but I want to do the coming month today.

Feel free to ask your questions :-) I do not mind bombardments at all.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10221
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 272
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:45:15 am »
Quote from: EricLeif;127414
I do love the fact that you have it as a Google Calendar which makes it so easy to move things to my personal calendar....

I had not actually noticed that before. That probably makes it the most useful version of a Hellenic festival calendar out there.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Re: Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 08:03:25 am »
Quote from: RandallS;127424
I had not actually noticed that before. That probably makes it the most useful version of a Hellenic festival calendar out there.

 
Thank you :) I have just finished updated my Google Calendar up 'till the new Hellenic year per Athens--which is June 28, 2014.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

EricLeif

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 04:01:24 pm »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;127419
Feel free to ask your questions :-) I do not mind bombardments at all.
Ok then I guess my first question is: I see several repeating weekly events. What are those?

Quote from: RandallS;127424
I had not actually noticed that before. That probably makes it the most useful version of a Hellenic festival calendar out there.
Yes it makes it awesome

Quote from: Elani Temperance;127428
Thank you :) I have just finished updated my Google Calendar up 'till the new Hellenic year per Athens--which is June 28, 2014.

Awesome I'm starting to move the events over to my calendar.

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 04:47:25 pm »
Quote from: EricLeif;127489
Ok then I guess my first question is: I see several repeating weekly events. What are those?


 Repeating weekly events...? Weeks are a Roman thing, but I think you are refering to the 'Mên kata Theion', the sacred month. These are sacred days that repeat monthly. They aren't festivals per se, but were observed by most in the city state. Some of the ones on the agenda are well-documented, from others we only know for sure one family observed it--in general, the further we get into the month, the less sure we are; especially the first eight days are well documented and were very important.

Over arching, the ancient Hellenic calendar works in cycles; a monthly cycle within a yearly cycle within a four year cycle. Repetition is key because it insures the Gods get Their due. This is why I advise people who are starting out to observe every event on the calendar, even if it's just by reading a quick wiki entry about it. This way, the cycles and the value of the calendar will become clear; both to the ancient Hellenes as the modern Hellenist.

Does this answer your question? Next? ;-)
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

EricLeif

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:19:19 pm »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;127495
Repeating weekly events...? Weeks are a Roman thing, but I think you are refering to the 'Mên kata Theion', the sacred month. These are sacred days that repeat monthly. They aren't festivals per se, but were observed by most in the city state. Some of the ones on the agenda are well-documented, from others we only know for sure one family observed it--in general, the further we get into the month, the less sure we are; especially the first eight days are well documented and were very important.

Over arching, the ancient Hellenic calendar works in cycles; a monthly cycle within a yearly cycle within a four year cycle. Repetition is key because it insures the Gods get Their due. This is why I advise people who are starting out to observe every event on the calendar, even if it's just by reading a quick wiki entry about it. This way, the cycles and the value of the calendar will become clear; both to the ancient Hellenes as the modern Hellenist.

Does this answer your question? Next? ;-)

Ok i'm starting to see what you are saying, seeing Athena or Apollon on the calendar twice in a month is what is confusing me since the Hellenic is offset. Ok then next question is where is the best spot to look at each event on the calendar?

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 05:35:29 pm »
Quote from: EricLeif;127501
Ok i'm starting to see what you are saying, seeing Athena or Apollon on the calendar twice in a month is what is confusing me since the Hellenic is offset. Ok then next question is where is the best spot to look at each event on the calendar?

I'm afraid I don't understand that question. You mean for more information? Or its placement on the solar calendar? Or something else?

And I get how the double names are confusing. Some of the names are, indeed, double, but that is the information we have. Also note that some are part of the sacred month, some are festivals, and some are sacrifices (minor festivals) from non-Athenian locations. This can make reading the calendar a little more murky sometimes.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

EricLeif

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 08:31:22 pm »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;127504
I'm afraid I don't understand that question. You mean for more information? Or its placement on the solar calendar? Or something else?

And I get how the double names are confusing. Some of the names are, indeed, double, but that is the information we have. Also note that some are part of the sacred month, some are festivals, and some are sacrifices (minor festivals) from non-Athenian locations. This can make reading the calendar a little more murky sometimes.

I guess more information on each event would be the first step then the next would be trying to decider which ones are part of the sacred month, then the festival's, and last the non-Anthenian

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 01:40:29 am »
Quote from: EricLeif;127532
I guess more information on each event would be the first step then the next would be trying to decider which ones are part of the sacred month, then the festival's, and last the non-Anthenian

That is easily remedied. The first link I gave you, to my blog? It has a listing of the sacred month first, then if you scroll down to the right month (which is also on the Google Caledar), you will find the festivals and sacrifices. Sacrifices are always marked 'sacrifice to... at...'. Most of the events are linked to blog posts. For the others, the Hellenion link you have shoukd be able to help, or type '[name of festival] temenos' into Google to get taken to their entry on festivals.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

EricLeif

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 16
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 01:53:31 am »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;127562
That is easily remedied. The first link I gave you, to my blog? It has a listing of the sacred month first, then if you scroll down to the right month (which is also on the Google Caledar), you will find the festivals and sacrifices. Sacrifices are always marked 'sacrifice to... at...'. Most of the events are linked to blog posts. For the others, the Hellenion link you have shoukd be able to help, or type '[name of festival] temenos' into Google to get taken to their entry on festivals.

Man all the upcoming research! You have no idea how exciting this is for me after having such a hard time for the last few years to get really into my faith without knowing the right days and festivals. And now to have this before me is opening all these new doors and new questions, especially since I can now focus on the hellenistic practices over supplementing with Wiccan ones. All the new questions about what to do, when and how.

Elani Temperance

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 446
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 03:58:02 am »
Quote from: EricLeif;127563
Man all the upcoming research! You have no idea how exciting this is for me after having such a hard time for the last few years to get really into my faith without knowing the right days and festivals. And now to have this before me is opening all these new doors and new questions, especially since I can now focus on the hellenistic practices over supplementing with Wiccan ones. All the new questions about what to do, when and how.

Enjoy the ride! It is a wild one ;-) I've been in your position so I know how you feel. If you need help, you can always ask, either here, through PM or my gmail e-mail address 'baring.the.aegis'. Also, please remember you don't have to figure out every festival in your first full year; take your time. It'll all fall into place.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

drekfletch

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New England. On Winnipesaukee, to be more specific
  • Posts: 317
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
Re: Hellenistic holiday calendars?
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 04:10:20 pm »
Quote from: EricLeif;127405

In addition to Hellenion's calendar which is based on the city of Athens', and Elani's which I believe is less so but still Attic; Rhuadan used to have his calendar available (I think it still is).  His is based upon Boeotia, a region north of Attica.

Ancient calendars are a messy business.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:10:35 pm by drekfletch »
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
99 Replies
15520 Views
Last post September 18, 2013, 10:00:21 am
by Kezmerus
0 Replies
684 Views
Last post October 26, 2013, 04:57:32 pm
by wickedwit
7 Replies
1268 Views
Last post August 20, 2014, 01:50:54 am
by MattyG
3 Replies
942 Views
Last post July 01, 2015, 02:10:23 am
by Louisvillian
9 Replies
1062 Views
Last post January 11, 2016, 07:24:14 pm
by cletus90851

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 47
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall