Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Halloween 2019 a wash out - how to claw it back?  (Read 5229 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Halloween 2019 a wash out - how to claw it back?
« on: October 31, 2019, 06:35:05 pm »
I've a childlike love of Halloween and usually celebrate (in small ways) throughout the month of October, with a big day/evening of indulging on the 31st (usually by wearing certain bits of jewellery during the day, maybe black nail polish and with movies & snacks).

This year due to a busy week at work culminating in a complaint at work I've not ended up having my celebration.  No movies recorded and turned out to be none I wanted to watch on any of the TV channels.

So I'm now intending to move my celebration to tomorrow instead, which would usually be my day of the dead - so that day will be a day later, too, at the weekend.

If you were in my position what might you do to 'claw back' some of the magic of Halloween, a day late?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Halloween 2019 a wash out - how to claw it back?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 06:48:32 pm »
So I'm now intending to move my celebration to tomorrow instead, which would usually be my day of the dead - so that day will be a day later, too, at the weekend.

In a similar position here, due to literally getting washed out by heavy rain - I know some cities have requested citizens to do trick-or-treating tomorrow. My usual thing, the costume contest at work, was still feasible.

As for suggestions ... none really, but in a Chaos-Magic vein, you might do the Time Warp (from the Rocky Horror Picture Show) a couple of times.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:26:12 pm »
In a similar position here, due to literally getting washed out by heavy rain - I know some cities have requested citizens to do trick-or-treating tomorrow. My usual thing, the costume contest at work, was still feasible.

As for suggestions ... none really, but in a Chaos-Magic vein, you might do the Time Warp (from the Rocky Horror Picture Show) a couple of times.

Hope you're okay in the heavy rain!

I like the Time Warp idea, actually - Rocky Horror was one of the films my husband suggested I watch tonight on DVD but he didn't wanna watch it with me.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:40:17 pm »
I've a childlike love of Halloween and usually celebrate (in small ways) throughout the month of October, with a big day/evening of indulging on the 31st (usually by wearing certain bits of jewellery during the day, maybe black nail polish and with movies & snacks).......

If you were in my position what might you do to 'claw back' some of the magic of Halloween, a day late?

I guess my suggestion would be to look at what you might have wanted to do tonight and think about how much of it could be done tomorrow. Even if it's just making up for a night of missed movies and snacks. Samhain/Halloween here has been pretty low-key due to heavy rain and strong wind, else I would have gone for a nighttime walk and perhaps left s clove of garlic or something at the nearest crossroads. Would doing something like that help bring back some of the magic tomorrow?

I'm still going to do a runecasting, and maybe a brief ritual around that, but mostly I've chosen to mark this day with a three-course meal and some beer, plus finishing up Drawlloween.

I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 03:44:39 am »

Hi Perdita,
Same here with the damp squib. Mostly as I wasn't back til most trick or treaters had already gone round.. But seriously - only Casper on tv??

I'd look into what events local pubs/clubs might be doing over the weekend, I know my local had things going on last night but some may wait until the weekend for the working parents?
Otherwise.., ok, crazy unfinished thought - could you tie it into a bonfire night do?

For personal event the others have covered it well - pick up some movies ( CEX would be my go to ), decorate, buy some party food and stick on 'The Monster Mash' ( or other music of preference ). Maybe even ask some friends over to share??? 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 03:48:31 am by Anon100 »

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:33:37 pm »
I guess my suggestion would be to look at what you might have wanted to do tonight and think about how much of it could be done tomorrow. Even if it's just making up for a night of missed movies and snacks.

I definitely plan to have the movies and snacks!

Haven't the spoons for much of a walk, but there is a little detour I can take just now on my way home from the train station, with lots of autumnal trees (albeit that it's dark already) so that should be nice, ahead of my movie marathon.

Not heard of Drawlloween, might have to Google it.
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 03:52:23 pm »
Hi Perdita,
Same here with the damp squib. Mostly as I wasn't back til most trick or treaters had already gone round.. But seriously - only Casper on tv??

I know, right?  I think I was banking on there being some sort of live ghost hunting programme on like most years but when I went channel hopping for this there wasn't anything apparent.  I managed to catch the last segment of a documentary about witchcraft in Romania which was of some interest and I might see if I can catch a rerun.

I'm back from my detour on my way home from the train station, and just doing something out of the ordinary like that did help, so good suggestion Wanderer894.

We're more home bodies than the going out sort, and bit too short notice for friends.  So I think it will be my husband's Halloween play list (with both Time Warp and Monster Mash among others) whilst I cook the dinner, followed by some candles/mood lighting, movies, maybe some crafting of next year's decorations while I watch and then snacks when I start to get tired, to keep me going.

And then the day of the dead decorations will go up before bed, ready for tomorrow  (if I've still got the energy).

For Guy Fawkes I have another tradition involving watching something like  Pluckett and McLean or similar. Oh, and more snacks!
(From the Metta Sutta)

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 04:28:35 pm »
I know, right?  I think I was banking on there being some sort of live ghost hunting programme on like most years but when I went channel hopping for this there wasn't anything apparent.  I managed to catch the last segment of a documentary about witchcraft in Romania which was of some interest and I might see if I can catch a rerun.

You did better than me. I saw a few music channels with titles like 80s Halloween disco. Turned out to be ordinary 80s music but they added Halloween to the title to make it sound seasonal :P

Enjoy the evening :)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 06:26:48 pm »
Hope you're okay in the heavy rain!

More or less - had no power this morning due to heavy winds last night, but it was back on when I got back from work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 09:42:44 pm »

You could do a Dia de los Muertos celebration on Nov. 2 instead.

My Halloween was washed out too--literally (same weather as Sefiru) and figuratively, since I was on an overnight flight for Halloween night. Also like Sefiru, I did manage to dress up for the office Halloween party, but that's it. Normally I do the big NYC parade (downtown NYC is a playground on Halloween for adults who love their cosplay), meet up with friends (sometimes doing joint costumes), and maybe hit a club or two...but none of that this year.

I'll probably just let this one go and double-down on an extra special Halloween next year.

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 07:50:14 am »
You could do a Dia de los Muertos celebration on Nov. 2 instead.

Sorry to hear about your washed out Halloween, too, Altar. I do indeed have a small celebration planned for today.

And I ended up having quite an enjoyable evening last night, so I managed to claw back some of the magic of Halloween 2019 in the end.

Thanks, all   :)
(From the Metta Sutta)

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 07:03:55 pm »
I definitely plan to have the movies and snacks!

Haven't the spoons for much of a walk, but there is a little detour I can take just now on my way home from the train station, with lots of autumnal trees (albeit that it's dark already) so that should be nice, ahead of my movie marathon.

Not heard of Drawlloween, might have to Google it.

In case you didn't get to Google it yet: https://www.drawlloween.com/about

I love doing it but every year I'm also glad when it's over! Drawing takes much more out of me than writing does. Of course I do NaNoWriMo the following month, so there's basically 2 months every year when I am in creative overdrive.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 07:54:44 pm »
In case you didn't get to Google it yet: https://www.drawlloween.com/about

I love doing it but every year I'm also glad when it's over! Drawing takes much more out of me than writing does. Of course I do NaNoWriMo the following month, so there's basically 2 months every year when I am in creative overdrive.

I did have a quick Google but didn't manage to come across that particular page, so that was interesting, thanks.

I'll bet you are glad when it's done.  I've been trying to come up with an idea what I'd write if I did anything like NaNoWriMo but think my creative 'muscles' are sadly atrophied. Good luck with it!

Edit to correct autocorrect
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: