collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Get Ready! "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" 2011 edition, coming soon  (Read 13565 times)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: Altair;32980
I'm delighted to hear it, Tana! You're one of the people I rely on for the early "march of darkness" reports.

Gladly at your service. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: Altair;32979
I believe the original mug cake maker--the one who first introduced it at an "Up All Night" many years ago--was Folksymama.

It was, indeed!  In '08, I see, from my bookmark.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Oaksworn

• Journeyman
  • Reality is but perception.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Energy worker, Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: Altair;32901
So...who's up for it this year?

Well, I'll certainly see what I can do.  I'll be working a regular schedule that week so I don't think I'll be able to stay up all night but I'll do my best to stop in and say hi.  I even have another recipe to share, cookies this time, though I wouldn't be surprised if it's already found it's way here (a quick search of both forums seems to indicate otherwise).
Reality is but perception.

sparrow

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile

I'm considering breaking my usual "no electronics" rule so I can do this this solstice...

Not to de-rail the thread, but I was wondering if anyone was doing the solstice card exchange this year?

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
In previous years, we've done "non-themes": sharing recipes one year, sharing stories around our "virtual campfire" the next, sharing the night's photos/images last year, etc. Non-themes are, as the name suggests, non-binding--just a starting point to get ideas going. (Recipes always seem to come up no matter what the non-theme...chocolate mug cake, anyone?) Any ideas for a non-theme for this year? Chime in, please!

I'm participating in Miss Dirty's Sviata Vechera Challenge so I recommend what type of foods are being made to celebrate the solstice. (I have a lot of foods being made, BTW.)

Quote from: Altair
This year, the solstice occurs at about 5:30 AM Universal Time on December 22, so we'll be celebrating the night before, beginning at nightfall on Wednesday, December 21. Watch for the "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" thread to appear right around then.

For an idea of what goes on, you can see last year's all-night gabfest on the old board, here:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=14887.0

I will participate. I doubt I'll do the 'up all night' aspect. I have to do a lot of cooking for the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th so I can participate in the challenge. As someone who is JUST NOT GOOD at cooking, I need as much rest beforehand as possible!
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: SunflowerP;32952
More fool they.  A well-made stew is the food of the (earthy) gods!

Also, you said you found this Metis cookbook on the 'Net, but you didn't give a link?  Please share!

No, it's mine! All mine! Mwahahaha!

http://www.metisyouthexpressions.ca/documents/Cookbook_SecondEdition.pdf It's a pdf version. :)

Re: Mug Cake

Oh man, I remember making them! :D I know me and J ended up having to alter the recipe a bit, because 5 minutes was way too long in the end and burnt in our microwaves. :( There were a lot of mugs to clean that night. :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
People with better chat skills than I also do a MUX chat here that night. (I'm going to have to learn how to do that, so I can participate in that aspect...I missed a lot of the best chatter last year by being MUX-clueless.)

Sounds like I should get a MUX account then and figure out how to work it....

I definitely am!

Quote from: SunflowerP;32952
I plan - either in preparation for Up All Night, or, if I don't get it done by then, while it's going on - to edit the Mug Cake article that Morag put in the TC Wiki to include much of that info, and links to the rest.  I doubt I'd have thought of it if Morag hadn't laid the foundation, so yay Morag!

I think this is a fantastic idea. And not just because I like seeing the word "yay" next to my name. ^_^

Also, I may have to stock up on mugs. Value Village ahoy!
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nyktipolos;33123
No, it's mine! All mine! Mwahahaha!

http://www.metisyouthexpressions.ca/documents/Cookbook_SecondEdition.pdf It's a pdf version. :)

Merci!  (And, looks like an interesting site it's on, too!)

Re: Mug Cake

Oh man, I remember making them! :D I know me and J ended up having to alter the recipe a bit, because 5 minutes was way too long in the end and burnt in our microwaves. :( There were a lot of mugs to clean that night. :)

I believe your notes about the experimentation/adjustments are among the Mug Cake Lore I plan to include - at least, someone's extensive experimenting was noted in one of the threads, and you being the someone sounds familiar.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile

I have to take my son to the airport for a red-eye flight that evening, so I'll be around for a while earlier in the evening, then maybe again when I get back from SeaTac.  Not making any promises at this point, but I'm gonna try.

Brina

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: Juni;32904
How about sharing songs or videos that get us in the spirit?

OMG, Juni, I have just found the most priceless contribution for this year's non-theme that you devised. This music video has the advantage of stirring up nausea, controversy, and Hysterical Laughter From Beyond, all at the same time.

I'm going to have a very difficult time sitting on this until the solstice. Be warned!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: Altair;33586
OMG, Juni, I have just found the most priceless contribution for this year's non-theme that you devised. This music video has the advantage of stirring up nausea, controversy, and Hysterical Laughter From Beyond, all at the same time.

I'm going to have a very difficult time sitting on this until the solstice. Be warned!

Awesome! :D: I'm still not sure what I'm going to share.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile

I'm in and cannot wait!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

R03e

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nyktipolos;32907
Well I'm no longer working full days and my college's winter break is at that time, so YES! :D I'm incredibly excited this year.

Spurred on by Ms. Graveyard Dirt's Holy Supper Challenge, I'll be making a meal for my ancestors as well as myself (and my family, but the're unlikely to participate since we don't eat stew in this house, much less something with game in it, which is what I'm aiming for), and using a Metis cookbook I was able to find on the net.

I also want to see if I can get a tiny Christmas tree to decorate pagan-style (what does that mean? I don't know yet!), and set up a Winter altar this year that will take up a part of my room.

I hope to have all this done in time for the Solstice. Wish me luck! :P

I'm also excited to do the techno Pagan event. It would be a good way to relax after finals and to stay up all late. I can now sleep in.  yay.  It like new years eve and the beginning of my conversion into a new religion and new me. I might light some candles.
R03e

R03e

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Altair;33586

I like the idea of sharing some videos...
R03e

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
Quote from: veggiewolf;33699
I'm in and cannot wait!

Update:  I'm not quite as in as I thought I'd be.  JFP will be visiting then (yay!!), so while I'll check in from time to time, I doubt I'll be hanging around chatting.  There's a good chance that we'll be doing the Up All Night part (or as far as we can get, anyway), but we'd be sharing a computer, and will want to pay more attention to each other anyway.

Sunflower

Tags: