collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Get Ready! "Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice" 2011 edition, coming soon  (Read 13581 times)

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tana;34541
'Course.
Born 1970 and saw the evolution of video games from two sticks and a square 'tennis ball' to now. ;)

'76 here. I was the envy of my friends when we got our first PC. Electronic solitaire! And yes, I remember rotary phones, cassette players and the terrible, terrible poodle hair do in my early teens...
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: Altair;34460
Anyone else here, besides Sunflower and me, remember the world before ATMs, VCRs, and desktop computers?

This appears to be almost as reliable a TC convo-generator as food.  Didn't we have a very similar discussion not long ago?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: Catherine;34537
Yep.
Not the moon landing, though. I was only a year old.

Um, I was....at about.....minus six months? For the moon landing.

(Now that I've had a bit of time, I think we were in Germany when John Lennon was shot; I just wasn't completely aware of who John Lennon was at the time, so it didn't make an impression on me.)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: victoreia;34628
Um, I was....at about.....minus six months? For the moon landing.

(Now that I've had a bit of time, I think we were in Germany when John Lennon was shot; I just wasn't completely aware of who John Lennon was at the time, so it didn't make an impression on me.)

I feel like a baby with my '85 vintage. I vaguely remember the fall of the Berlin Wall--I think I was maybe 4 at the time. My cousin was stationed in Germany, so it was a topic of interest for my parents.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rowanfox;34546
What astonishes me is when I think back, I am having trouble remembering how we managed without many of today's techno-conveniences:confused:

Stuff I now consider necessary:
Cell phone
debit card
email
Windows or any other point and click operating system
The Internet (mostly Wikipaedia!)
Call display and voice mail
online banking and automatic deposits and payments

rear window defrosters for the car
ABS brakes

drip coffee maker with auto-timer
non-stick cookware

stretchy denim
goretex and poplar fleece technical outdoor wear

Wow....this list is longer than I thought it would be :ashamed:

Heh. Most of the tech stuff you listed is on my cell phone (everything but the debit card, and the OS is Android rather than Windows, but...) But my coffee maker doesn't have a timer, because I'll pay $200 for a phone before I pay $40 for a nicer coffee pot. Such a tech nerd.

-Robert Burns

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Quote from: stephyjh;34668

Whereas I pay four bucks a pop for my coffee, rather than buy a fancy coffe maker. Of course, I try not to spend more than $100 for my phone. (Not the latest, but close enough for toys.)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Quote from: SunflowerP;34592
This appears to be almost as reliable a TC convo-generator as food.  Didn't we have a very similar discussion not long ago?

Sunflower

I missed it. It's fascinating, though, how key world events, tech innovations, and pop culture touchstones demarcate different generations/eras.

A good example of the latter for my generation: Dark Shadows.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: Altair;34683
A good example of the latter for my generation: Dark Shadows.

I remember rushing home from school (almost running the two blocks instead of walking) to catch it.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;34687
I remember rushing home from school (almost running the two blocks instead of walking) to catch it.

Ditto, me and my sister, every day. We'd have Oreos and chocolate milk as we watched, riveted.

Syfy (then the more intelligibly named SciFi Channel) re-ran the entire series about a decade ago, and I got hooked all over again. It was like a flashback to childhood:

background: a fog-enshrouded mansion lit by moonlight

cue eerie theramin-like music--

"A seance has been held in the great house of Collinwood...a seance that has suspended time and space, and sent one woman on an uncertain and frightening journey into the past: back to the year 1795. There, each of the Collins ancestors resembles a present day member of the Collins family...but the names and the relationships have changed, and Victoria Winters finds herself a stranger in a sea of familiar faces..."

That preamble, from the best storyline they ever did (Lara Parker as Angelique rules!), is now etched in my memory.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: Altair;34693
Ditto, me and my sister, every day. We'd have Oreos and chocolate milk as we watched, riveted.

Syfy (then the more intelligibly named SciFi Channel) re-ran the entire series about a decade ago, and I got hooked all over again. It was like a flashback to childhood

I should add that the cookies-and-beverage tradition was revived, this time with Pepperidge Farm enrobed Milanos dunked in Godiva chocolate liqueur.

(To bring in what Sunflower points out is the other surefire Cauldron convo: food)

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Altair;34694
I should add that the cookies-and-beverage tradition was revived, this time with Pepperidge Farm enrobed Milanos dunked in Godiva chocolate liqueur.

(To bring in what Sunflower points out is the other surefire Cauldron convo: food)

Mmmm... Milanos and Godiva.

-Robert Burns

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: victoreia;34671
Whereas I pay four bucks a pop for my coffee, rather than buy a fancy coffe maker. Of course, I try not to spend more than $100 for my phone. (Not the latest, but close enough for toys.)

I work for an electronics retailer. I have to keep up.

-Robert Burns

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: Altair;34683
I missed it.

Missed it?  You started it:D:!  (Though it was longer ago than I thought - yet another feature of aging!)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Quote from: Altair;34693
Syfy (then the more intelligibly named SciFi Channel) re-ran the entire series about a decade ago, and I got hooked all over again. It was like a flashback to childhood:

I missed the SciFi Channel's rerun (except for a few episodes), although can't remember why now. Probably a work schedule conflict. I'm surprised it isn't reshow more often given the market for such shows now.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;34817
I missed the SciFi Channel's rerun (except for a few episodes), although can't remember why now. Probably a work schedule conflict. I'm surprised it isn't reshow more often given the market for such shows now.

They don't reshow it because none of the characters in Dark Shadows sparkle.  That and the only time they would show it (middle of the day) conflicts with the hours more junior high/high schools operate.

Not that I'm bitter at vampires being reduced to something to make adolescent girls' panties get moist or anything....:56:

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Tags: