collapse

Author Topic: Favorite recipes, crafts, and practices for Samhain  (Read 1889 times)

Za Nothos

• View Profile
Favorite recipes, crafts, and practices for Samhain
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:28:05 pm »
I apologize if this is not in the correct forum, if need be please move it. Samhain's around the corner, for those who practice. Any favorite recipes, crafts, or practices for Samhain? This year I'll be pounding leaves into paper to leave a print and using it to decorate the ancestor's table at our circle. Do share!

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite recipes, crafts, and practices for Samhain
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:40:53 pm »
Quote from: Za Nothos;126321
I apologize if this is not in the correct forum, if need be please move it. Samhain's around the corner, for those who practice. Any favorite recipes, crafts, or practices for Samhain? This year I'll be pounding leaves into paper to leave a print and using it to decorate the ancestor's table at our circle. Do share!

While I do not do this myself that much, being a solitary irish polytheist and a poor college student.

One thing I do want to make at some point for Samhain is Barmbrack. Barmbrack is a fruity bread cake that is made around this time in Ireland. One would also play a little divination game by baking a ring into the bread to symbolize love and marriage. I have also read about a coin being used as well to symbolize money and/or success.

GuidedRaven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://nor-se.tumblr.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 01:03:42 pm »
This year I'll be pounding leaves into paper to leave a print and using it to decorate the ancestor's table at our circle. Do share!

That sounds like a really cool idea with the leaves !

For me, I'm going to make Soul Cakes, which I'll use to make a small offering and then pray/meditate for an hour or so. While lighting incense and a white candle for a deceased friend. I'm truly excited this year !
--Guided Raven

"Under your wing I feel complete safety,
Atop your talon I feel free,
Against your feathers my body is awakened,
At your beak I intake breath.

In the air I can be,
Holding fast to your scaly feet,
Large and powerful being,
Taking me higher and higher; So I can\'t breathe."

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »

Not Samhain per se, but I celebrate Dia de los Muertos (with most of the Catholic imagery removed).  I bake Pan de Muerto and make sugar skulls for decorating.  I also burn lots of the candles I made during the previous winter (I burn them at other times of the year too, but my Dia de los Muertos altar is usually festooned with them).  I drink a little (a little...yeah, that's it) tequila, which always softens my heart to even my most problematic ancestors.  And I spend time with the living in celebration of those that have passed.  Music, food, company--all help welcome the spirits of the past with warmth and compassion.

Brina

KuroiTenshi

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:11:35 pm »

This Samhain, I am going to make pumpkin scones from scratch. I already made the pumpkin puree now the day of or the day before I am going to put together the scones and the spice apple cider. I plan to make this a traditional thing I do every year.

Ladywhitewolf

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist Pagan
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:51 am »
Quote from: KuroiTenshi;127025
This Samhain, I am going to make pumpkin scones from scratch. I already made the pumpkin puree now the day of or the day before I am going to put together the scones and the spice apple cider. I plan to make this a traditional thing I do every year.

I usually do a small ritual and light candles for Samhain.  Last night I left out offerings for the spirits.  I also lit my Anubis candle and said a prayer to the God.  I think I am going to light my other candle tonight and honor the Goddess.
-My paganspace page: http://www.paganspace.net/profile/whitewolf51
-My Pagan Playground page: http://www.pagan-playground.com/whitewolf-1
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he\'ll be a mile away, and barefoot.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 04:12:33 am »

I usually make a batch of colcannon.  It's cheap, easy, and partners well with Guinness.  :)  This year I wanted to change things up a bit, so I slow-cooked a pot of apple-cider oatmeal, which went very well with Angry Orchard.  :)
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Carla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:22 am »
Quote from: KuroiTenshi;127025

Oooh pumpkin scones sound amazing! I think I am going to make some as well. :)

It looks like I am getting a new nephew today, so I will be celebrating at the hospital with my sister and family. :D:

Tags: