collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Earth Day!  (Read 2434 times)

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Earth Day!
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:36 pm »
Tomorrow is Earth Day for those of us living in North America. Its not a huge day for many, deffinately not big enough for a day off of school or work. However, since the earth is so much apart of many of us, and our cultures, and beliefs, I was wondering what people were planning on doing? Or what have you done in past years? (If anything at all)

We are going to transplant some of our seedlings, as well as turn the soil in our garden, and probably go for a walk along the street gathering trash.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Day!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:11:05 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;51267
Tomorrow is Earth Day for those of us living in North America. Its not a huge day for many, deffinately not big enough for a day off of school or work. However, since the earth is so much apart of many of us, and our cultures, and beliefs, I was wondering what people were planning on doing? Or what have you done in past years? (If anything at all)

We are going to transplant some of our seedlings, as well as turn the soil in our garden, and probably go for a walk along the street gathering trash.

I am probably going to do the most non-environmentally friendly thing I can possibly do on Earth Day--go shopping at the mall with my biological mother. However, I will bring a cloth bag with me, that's something.

I've also started this tradition of watching James Cameron's Avatar (by James Cameron) which is also terribly ironic because I can't imagine how a movie with such a big budget could avoid taking a good chunk of the Earth's resources to make it.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:31:40 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;51270
I've also started this tradition of watching James Cameron's Avatar (by James Cameron) which is also terribly ironic because I can't imagine how a movie with such a big budget could avoid taking a good chunk of the Earth's resources to make it.

Most of the film was digitally created, and I'm sure Cameron was conscientious enough to use 100% recycled 1s and 0s.  
Great movie, BTW.  Think I'll pop it in tonight.  

As to tomorrow, we will probably turn soil in the back yard and get the garden started.  
I have to get the pumpkins in soon if we're going to have a decent patch in the fall.  OTOH, the LA Zoo is doing a bunch of Earth Day related stuff, and the Boy is old enough now to really enjoy the trip.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:06:42 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;51275
Most of the film was digitally created, and I'm sure Cameron was conscientious enough to use 100% recycled 1s and 0s.  
Great movie, BTW.  Think I'll pop it in tonight.  

As to tomorrow, we will probably turn soil in the back yard and get the garden started.  
I have to get the pumpkins in soon if we're going to have a decent patch in the fall.  OTOH, the LA Zoo is doing a bunch of Earth Day related stuff, and the Boy is old enough now to really enjoy the trip.
Went to the Pueblo Zoo today with my daughter for their Earth day festival, had some pretty cool things going on. Will probably head to San Isabel National Forest tomorrow and go hiking, It's about a 5 min. drive from my house. I love living in the Mountains.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:07:34 am by Celtag »
[Now using the Cryfder account]

PlaceboArtist

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 04:56:09 am »
However, since the earth is so much apart of many of us, and our cultures, and beliefs, I was wondering what people were planning on doing?

Unfortunately, I am not going to have time to do anything huge, but I will probably go out into my garden and just have some time with no interference from technology (my laptop and I are like Siamese twins) and meditate or something.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 10:27:47 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;51275

I have to get the pumpkins in soon if we're going to have a decent patch in the fall.  .

We started out pumpkins a few weeks ago indoors and they are already sprouting like crazy!
I am definately going to have to transplant them soon. I am stoked to have a patch, because I love pumpkins and they are just so expensive to buy!
We will most likely be donating any extra's to the UU Church down the street for the kids who can't afford any for haloween!
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 12:38:41 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;51342
We will most likely be donating any extra's to the UU Church down the street for the kids who can't afford any for haloween!

That's the plan.  We gave pumpkins to the neighborhood kids last year.  And we still had about a dozen or so to carve for ourselves.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:54:05 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;51364
That's the plan.  We gave pumpkins to the neighborhood kids last year.  And we still had about a dozen or so to carve for ourselves.

thats awesome!
Yeah, I'm hoping we have atleast six for us to carve, and the rest is going to be given away.
It's important to give back I think.
--Rose

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »
Quote from: Aubrey_Rose;51424
It's important to give back I think.

Yes.  In whatever way you can.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 08:39:01 pm »

I did see a group of kids on the trail this morning with trash bags and picks. So at least some here are observing the day.

I went on a slow walk to catch the different pine trees budding up. Snapped some periwinkle myrtle, and two tiny white flowering weeds I have yet to ID. And snapped a few choice lingering spots. It was quiet and cold and a stray dog kept me company for a mile or so. Overall, it was lovely.

[attach=CONFIG][/attach]
[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

Aine Llewellyn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 02:12:53 am »

I spent Earth Day volunteering for the Center for Biological Diversity, wishing we had been able to hand out condoms at the event we were tabling (we weren't allowed because condoms - even packed in cute boxes with animal art on them - are not appropriate for a family event). It was interesting seeing all the other tables at the event, and there was a cute parade with people dressed up as animals. I was, unfortunately, roasting in the heat and trying to tell myself to enjoy it because it was Earth Day.

Didn't help to cool me off one bit....

earth_dragon

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:55:58 am »

I attend my local UU church, and the sermon was all about Earth Day and how we can be good stewards for the Earth. I also sing in the choir and we specifically did songs about earth, gardening, etc. That was a lot of fun.

From a practical POV, I can't do much in the way of gardening this year because I'm just stinking poor! I have some great plans. But my fiance and I just bought our house. The land here has never been tilled, so I would have to start from scratch. I really hoping to get things going next year. But I do other things to be Earth-friendly. I take the bus a lot; recycle nearly everything I get my hands on; I reuse many things; use cloth shopping bags; turn off electrical appliances; etc.

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »
Quote from: earth_dragon;51495
From a practical POV, I can't do much in the way of gardening this year because I'm just stinking poor! I have some great plans. But my fiance and I just bought our house. The land here has never been tilled, so I would have to start from scratch. I really hoping to get things going next year. But I do other things to be Earth-friendly. I take the bus a lot; recycle nearly everything I get my hands on; I reuse many things; use cloth shopping bags; turn off electrical appliances; etc.

I can understand that! I feel the same way, mom is footing most of the bill for the garden this year.

And anything is better than nothing, some people just don't garden, whether they can afford it or not. And to that I say, To each there own! Even if it's just using reusable grocery bags, or picking up a piece of trash, it all helps. :D:
--Rose

Tags: