Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Countdown to Up All Night! (December 20-21)  (Read 6128 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Countdown to Up All Night! (December 20-21)
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:44:36 am »
Hi, everybody,

For those who are not aware, we at The Cauldron have a tradition of an all-night virtual party/vigil for the December solstice: Up All Night (UAN). Some of us go the distance and stay up from dusk till dawn, others pop in and out as their sleep allows, but everyone has a great time!

This year the party begins at your local sunset on Sunday, December 20th, and ends at your local sunrise on Monday, December 21st. I think this year UAN is especially important, since the whole world is on a greater or lesser extent of lockdown, and this tradition of ours is one of the few things that transcends all the social distancing limitations.

So my first question, for all those participating--and I hope that's everyone!--is: Where in the world are you?

Be as specific or general as you deem appropriate. I'd love to get a sense beforehand of how scattered across the globe we are (the further, the better!), plus it will allow me to pull sunset/sunrise times in advance of UAN, to post for everyone's edification.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Up All Night! (December 20-21)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:55:42 am »
Where in the world are you?

Answering my own question: While normally I'd be in Manhattan, in the heart of New York City, USA, this year I'll be UAN-ing from Palm Springs, California. I'll be one of you West Coasters for this one!

ALSO:

For those who are unfamiliar with UAN, here's more info (modified from last year's info):

Every year for over a decade now, we here at The Cauldron have had an online party on the December solstice (winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, summer solstice in the southern). "Up All Night" is a once-a-year, come-one-come-all, truly global all-night event that is open to any Cauldron member...and of course, since Cauldron membership is free and easy, that means anybody can participate, once they become a member!

What does it involve? Here's some of what typically transpires during the night:

--A special dedicated thread in this forum, where folks can touch base, share their experiences, and write just about any damn thing (within forum guidelines, of course), from recipes that keep them fed through the night, to music for the solstice, photos of the sunset where they are...you name it.

We choose a non-theme every year--a very loose idea that folks can hang posts on, or completely ignore (hence the "non" part). This year's non-theme is "Seeing the Joy in Small Things."

--Chat! And lots of it. It's typically the best chat night of the year, because so many people are on simultaneously. So if you haven't discovered our Discord board, don't wait until UAN to try it--do a test run now in the weeks running up to UAN, so you're familiar with it beforehand.

--The Great Global Group Meditation: Cauldronites from around the world "gather" in a Zoom meeting for a nondenominational, professionally guided meditation session. Feel the calming connection crisscross the planet...but don't fall asleep!

That's just some of what's in store. Ideas welcome!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:56:24 pm »
So my first question, for all those participating--and I hope that's everyone!--is: Where in the world are you?

Looking forward to this as always!

I'm a hair north of Boston, Massachusetts.

(I have started the habit of spinning yarn for ritual use starting on the Solstice and going through to New Year's Day, and I am particularly excited about the roving I got for this year, in the Phoenix Rising colourway. I also maybe have a new spindle.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 01:43:56 pm »

So ready for this!  I'll be joining the party from the Land of Sky (aka western North Carolina). 

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 07:36:21 pm »

Calgary, AB, Canada, as usual.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 08:55:43 am »

Ah, yay for UAN! A bright spot in my year (is that irony?) I’ll only manage the evening this time, as health hasn’t been great and work doesn’t stop (I think I’ll only get the 25th and the 1st off this year), but I look forward to poking into chat from London, UK.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 08:23:40 am »
I’ll only manage the evening this time, as health hasn’t been great

This may well be true for me as well this year, though I usually like to make it through to the meditation - we'll see.

I look forward to poking into chat from London, UK.

And I'm south-west of there a ways.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 10:18:17 am »
And I'm south-west of there a ways.

While I'm veering off northeast, smack into chav country.

I've never managed to stay up all night, and this year will be no different, as I'll be working in the morning. I may or may not make it to midnight. The UK contingent will have the run of the house early on, it seems!
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 11:58:32 am »
While I'm veering off northeast, smack into chav country.

I've never managed to stay up all night, and this year will be no different, as I'll be working in the morning. I may or may not make it to midnight. The UK contingent will have the run of the house early on, it seems!

OK, so judging by the responses so far in this thread, we've at least got our night watch starting from the UK continuing through the North American west coast.

(One of these days, I swear, I'm going to do UAN from darkest distant north--Iceland!)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 06:28:13 pm »
OK, so judging by the responses so far in this thread, we've at least got our night watch starting from the UK continuing through the North American west coast.

(One of these days, I swear, I'm going to do UAN from darkest distant north--Iceland!)

It's a work night for me, so no all-nighter for me, though you can be sure I'll check in!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 09:36:35 pm »

Well, I'm still on the West Coast, but a bit further north this year -- I'm in Powell River, BC, where the sun will set at 4:18 pm on the 20th and rise at 8:13 am on the 21st.

Also I was stupid and took a 9 to 5 shift on the 20th because I got the dates mixed up. So if I can't find someone to switch with me I'll be doing UAN from 6am on the 20th to 8:13 am on the 21st. Pray for me.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 10:38:25 am »
Well, I'm still on the West Coast, but a bit further north this year -- I'm in Powell River, BC, where the sun will set at 4:18 pm on the 20th and rise at 8:13 am on the 21st.

Also I was stupid and took a 9 to 5 shift on the 20th because I got the dates mixed up. So if I can't find someone to switch with me I'll be doing UAN from 6am on the 20th to 8:13 am on the 21st. Pray for me.

Oh no! I assume you mean 9 PM to 5 AM, an overnight shift. But whatever hours you end up working, we'll be happy to have you for whenever we can get you, Morag.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 03:15:13 pm »
Oh no! I assume you mean 9 PM to 5 AM, an overnight shift. But whatever hours you end up working, we'll be happy to have you for whenever we can get you, Morag.

Haha, nope! 9 am to 5 pm on the 20th, and then up all night till dawn on the 21st.

I have, in the past, stayed up for longer than 26 hours. I am not sure I am still young enough to succeed at it, but by gods I will attempt it.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 04:05:57 pm »
Haha, nope! 9 am to 5 pm on the 20th, and then up all night till dawn on the 21st.

I have, in the past, stayed up for longer than 26 hours. I am not sure I am still young enough to succeed at it, but by gods I will attempt it.

I will, as I usually do, stick around until the sun rises on you, to help keep you awake for that last while.

[ETA: I checked, and that's still only about half an hour later than my sunrise, so not too onerous.]

Sunflower
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:08:16 pm by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 07:28:31 pm »
Hi, everybody,

For those who are not aware, we at The Cauldron have a tradition of an all-night virtual party/vigil for the December solstice: Up All Night (UAN). Some of us go the distance and stay up from dusk till dawn, others pop in and out as their sleep allows, but everyone has a great time!

This year the party begins at your local sunset on Sunday, December 20th, and ends at your local sunrise on Monday, December 21st. I think this year UAN is especially important, since the whole world is on a greater or lesser extent of lockdown, and this tradition of ours is one of the few things that transcends all the social distancing limitations.

Be as specific or general as you deem appropriate. I'd love to get a sense beforehand of how scattered across the globe we are (the further, the better!), plus it will allow me to pull sunset/sunrise times in advance of UAN, to post for everyone's edification.

I'll be at home in The Nutmeg State on the USA's east coast. Looking forward to doing an all-nighter once again before cracking open a jar of homemade eggnog to welcome the sun back! Someday I really want to do UAN from Ireland or Norway, just because.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Tags: