Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Countdown to a Cauldron event: Up All Night 2019 in a few days!  (Read 4643 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Countdown to a Cauldron event: Up All Night 2019 in a few days!
« on: December 02, 2019, 07:13:45 am »
Start banking your sleep, folks--Up All Night, the Cauldron's annual solstice celebration, is only a few days away!

<gasp!> You don't know what Up All Night (UAN) is? It's the one night a year (the longest night in the northern hemisphere, shortest in the southern) when Cauldron members gather together simultaneously from across the globe via the miracle of modern technology--here in the forum, in chat, and in videoconference--to share our experiences, shoot the breeze, do a group meditation, post everything from pictures to music to recipes and other links--as we try to stay awake all night long!*

*No, you don't have to be staying up all night, though many of us do! You can join the evening for all or part of it, contribute as little or as much as you want. Whatever works for you. And it doesn't matter what spiritual path you follow! Everyone is welcome.

So mark the evening of December 21 on your calendar--a Saturday night this year, so if you work a weekday 9-to-5 schedule, you can sleep it off on Sunday. It starts at sunset on December 21--that's sunset wherever you are--and ends officially at the next sunrise.

I'll post more details--this year's non-theme, instructions for the Great Global Group Meditation--soon, but in the meantime...

...what's your #1 strategy for staying awake? Tell us what your trick is!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:16:46 am by Altair »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Countdown to a Cauldron event: Up All Night 2019 in a few days!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 12:47:37 pm »
Start banking your sleep, folks--Up All Night, the Cauldron's annual solstice celebration, is only a few days away!

Impatient, are you ;D?

(Yeah, I realize it's an artifact of copypaste from previous years - and sympathize; I make quite a lot of copypaste-and-edit-details posts for things that happen regularly, so I know it's hard to make sure you've got all the edits!)

Mine won't work for everyone - I have a great deal of schedule flexibility (and a non-standard circadian rhythm: non-24 sleep phase condition), so I just aim my sleep/wake cycle over the preceding few days so that I'm in the 'awake' part of my cycle for UAN. It's not always possible to do this perfectly - 'real life' still has demands like grocery-shopping and so on; I still have to balance my cycle with other social activities, of which there are more than usual at this time of year; and being a 'freerunner' doesn't mean I can do anything with my cycle, it's still a cycle - so sometimes I'm late arriving on TC, or am struggling as sunrise approaches.

More realistically for people-in-general, the advice I'd give is to get as much sleep as you can, as late as you can, during the day, so you start UAN as fresh as possible.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 07:53:58 pm »
Impatient, are you ;D?

Aw, c'mon! 18 days and counting isn't really that far away. Blink, and it'll be here!

Mine won't work for everyone - I have a great deal of schedule flexibility (and a non-standard circadian rhythm: non-24 sleep phase condition), so I just aim my sleep/wake cycle over the preceding few days so that I'm in the 'awake' part of my cycle for UAN. It's not always possible to do this perfectly - 'real life' still has demands like grocery-shopping and so on; I still have to balance my cycle with other social activities, of which there are more than usual at this time of year; and being a 'freerunner' doesn't mean I can do anything with my cycle, it's still a cycle - so sometimes I'm late arriving on TC, or am struggling as sunrise approaches.

More realistically for people-in-general, the advice I'd give is to get as much sleep as you can, as late as you can, during the day, so you start UAN as fresh as possible.

For UAN purposes, being able to steer your cycles must be handy. My cycles are fixed for an early rise and an early demise, so going the distance on the solstice can be a real struggle for me.

My #1 strategy: EAT. If my mouth is chewing, my brain won't shut down. So if I feel the lids start to lower, I'll snack on something, little pieces of it, veeeeery slowly.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 03:12:36 pm »
Blink, and it'll be here!

That much is very true (from an 'I have stuff to do for Christmas I haven't even started tackling yet' point of view - eeek).

I'm so glad solstice is on a Saturday this year, looking forward to it.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 07:05:24 pm »
So mark the evening of December 21 on your calendar--a Saturday night this year, so if you work a weekday 9-to-5 schedule, you can sleep it off on Sunday. It starts at sunset on December 21--that's sunset wherever you are--and ends officially at the next sunrise.

I'm hardly ever on here anymore (beyond the monthly-or-so check into the Cill to make sure I have the right shifts marked), but I'm not missing this!
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 06:42:30 pm »

<gasp!> You don't know what Up All Night (UAN) is? It's the one night a year (the longest night in the northern hemisphere, shortest in the southern) when Cauldron members gather together simultaneously from across the globe via the miracle of modern technology--here in the forum, in chat, and in videoconference--to share our experiences, shoot the breeze, do a group meditation, post everything from pictures to music to recipes and other links--as we try to stay awake all night long!*

*No, you don't have to be staying up all night, though many of us do! You can join the evening for all or part of it, contribute as little or as much as you want. Whatever works for you. And it doesn't matter what spiritual path you follow! Everyone is welcome.

I'll post more details--this year's non-theme, instructions for the Great Global Group Meditation--soon, but in the meantime...

Honestly? Just being with friends that night is helpful - however, knowing how the holidays fall this year, Michael and I may end up at his Aunt's place that weekend to help out with prepping for the Feast of the Seven Fish for Christmas Eve (they're Catholic, and I don't think they know about me being Pagan/Hellenic yet, even after 11+ years). That said, I'll be staying up with lots and lots of espresso and getting work done - sort of burning the midnight oil and being reflective during that time.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Tags: